2x 7900GT or single X1900XT for 20.1" LCD?

film

Weaksauce
sorry guys for clogging the forum with another 7900gt vs x1900xt thread.. :) but for those of you running at high native LCD res (1608x1050 or higher), would you recommend that i get a single x1900xt or SLI a pair of vmod 7900gt? right now, Oblivion and FEAR are my main concerns at the moment, so im hoping for the best bang for the buck. ive seen much of the benchmarks out there, but im hoping for some real users input. btw, this will be on a opty 170/ 2g ram/viewsonic vx2025wm). any help is much appreciated.

-

My XTX has no problems running either game on my Cinema Display (my specs are nearly identical, but my Opty is severely overclocked). I suppose you just need to decide if you want the hassle of SLi or the hassle of dealing with any ATi product. The XT will give you HDR and multisampling in Oblivion, if that's a concern to you.

I imagine I'd go with the XT, assuming you don't end up with a card like mine.

SLi means more power requirements, a bigger PSU, more heat, more noise and more comlplications. Go with the single slot card.

Everything running great here at 1920x1200 with my x1900xt (Apart from fear!), ill do a quick bench with fear at this res and post average framerate in a tick.

Edit: At (FOR A LAUGH!) 1920x1440x32 with max settings and 4xaa with 16xaf i get average of 35fps
At 1600x1200x32 with max settings and 4xaa with 16xaf i get average of 48fps
I get worse results with aa off!!

Personally i play this game at 1280x768x32 with max settings and 4xaa with 16xaf i get average of 60fps never dropping below 30fps

Note: my gpu is running at xtx speeds with stock cooler and my processor is running at 2.2ghz atm.

Oblivion i run at a constant framerate of 37fps outdoors and when looking at imperial city from afar, indoors and in hell outdoors/indoors is pretty much 60fps with 1920x1200 all settings max BUT no aa and self shadows off, the framerate only dips when there is some hd thrashing (i blame the programming!)

I havent tried the hdr+aa patch as im waiting for it to be fully implemented into the official drivers but apparently theres only a few fps loss in perfomance with hdr+aa

I do think youll get better performance in most games with 2x7900gts apart from source games etc, however i have not been in the position to compare a lot of games, maybe someone can post links to some reliable reviews.

Hope this helps!

Fear is a severely bugged game. I had to turn off HD sound, and catalyst AI, and then it became butter smooth. (see the tweakguides article) My x1900xt is flashed with xtx bios and then oc'ed to 700/1600....fear benchmarks at 59 average fps @ 1600by1200 everything maxxed.

kdog said:
Fear is a severely bugged game. I had to turn off HD sound, and catalyst AI, and then it became butter smooth. (see the tweakguides article) My x1900xt is flashed with xtx bios and then oc'ed to 700/1600....fear benchmarks at 59 average fps @ 1600by1200 everything maxxed.
cool ill give that a try!!

thanks guys for all the good info. actually the heat/noise issue with the x1900xt will not be a problem since i'll be watercooling that sucker. Was just wondering which setup is better suited for a 20.1 LCD that will be able to handle most games at high res for at least 1 year (or more).

right now im leaning towards a single x1900xt.. btw, ive been with NVDA for my last 5 vid card upgrades, feels kinda weird, almost like saying goodbye to an old friend..lol :D

-

Back