2x 780's upgrade to 2x 980 Ti worth it?

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
Time for the upgrade bug again. I can grab a few EVGA SC+ Gaming Ti's for $780 each Canadian and sell both my 780's for $700. I game on 1440p. specs are below. Thx :)

Yes, that's a substantial upgrade, however, a single 980 Ti should be enough for 1440p.

The only game I could not play at 2560x1600 on max settings with a single 980ti Witcher 3. Even then it is fine everywhere outside of one city.

I say go for it. You might need two if you ever plan to use an ultrawide monitor. You won't get +60 fps with just 1 card at 3440*1440.

I dont plan on going to 4k. Going to stay at 2k for quite some time. I do within the next year want a 144hz g-sync monitor though :)

Last edited:
Absolutely. I went from SLI 780s to SLI Titan X, big improvement in many games, however I primarily gamed on 120Hz Surround, and now at UHD, so I can't say how much better it'll be for llower resolutions. Maybe if you switched to a 144Hz monitor you'd really appreciate the difference.

If you can get that much for your classifieds, why not? I know that both red team and green team gave price cuts in the US recently, so I'm not sure how much you will be affected in Canada when trying to sell.

Heading out soon to get them. Getting the Strix ones unless there is something cheaper/better out there. Thx :)

The AX1200 should be enough power for 2?

Last edited:
One thing i found out is that the Strix are louder than the classifieds. Not by much but noticeable.

if I were you, hold on the the SLI 780's until the 14/16nm cards come out next year. You should be fine for another 4-6 months IMO.

You should return them ASAP and wait it out. If you cant wait you basically got the best of the best right now :)

But there is a reason AMD and NVidia starting lowering prices....To get rid of the old stock to bring in the new.

Although I am sure you will enjoy the increased performance, are you going to sell the old cards first? Just would not want you to be stuck with the old cards, that is all.

if I were you, hold on the the SLI 780's until the 14/16nm cards come out next year. You should be fine for another 4-6 months IMO.

You should return them ASAP and wait it out. If you cant wait you basically got the best of the best right now :)

But there is a reason AMD and NVidia starting lowering prices....To get rid of the old stock to bring in the new.

The thing is, we do not even know what the new manufacturing process will bring us initially. Will cards be faster? Sure but, we do not know how much faster initially. After all, it is a new process which will undoubtedly have growing pains and also, we have no concrete data on when the newer cards will be released. I wish the lower prices would have been permanent but, it appears they were only good for Black Friday and sales.

Although I am sure you will enjoy the increased performance, are you going to sell the old cards first? Just would not want you to be stuck with the old cards, that is all.

The thing is, we do not even know what the new manufacturing process will bring us initially. Will cards be faster? Sure but, we do not know how much faster initially. After all, it is a new process which will undoubtedly have growing pains and also, we have no concrete data on when the newer cards will be released. I wish the lower prices would have been permanent but, it appears they were only good for Black Friday and sales.

It's a node shrink with HBM2 onboard from both companies. It is safe to way it will be quite a bit faster. We have been stick on 28nm for what 4 years now?

It's a node shrink with HBM2 onboard from both companies. It is safe to way it will be quite a bit faster. We have been stick on 28nm for what 4 years now?

No, unfortunately, it is not safe to say that. Unless you have some verifiable proof, we just do not know. (That is the biggest reason I was not willing to wait, we do not know.) Process node shrink also does not mean they are going to suddenly double the transistors and performance.

Now, if you have proof to the contrary, I would be willing to read it. Otherwise, we are all just guessing.

No, unfortunately, it is not safe to say that. Unless you have some verifiable proof, we just do not know. (That is the biggest reason I was not willing to wait, we do not know.) Process node shrink also does not mean they are going to suddenly double the transistors and performance.

Now, if you have proof to the contrary, I would be willing to read it. Otherwise, we are all just guessing.

sure, it may be a guess, but it's a reasonable one at that. I can't think of a generation leap where performance went backwards, can you?

sure, it may be a guess, but it's a reasonable one at that. I can't think of a generation leap where performance went backwards, can you?

Of course, I had not even thought for one second that things would go backwards. However, we have no real idea how much forward moving performance we will receive in the first generation of these cards. Heck, we do not even know when. The way I figure it, if the performance nearly doubles, no biggie because I still got to enjoy what I have for a long time without having to wait.

However, if the performance does not double, then I made an even better investment for the money. Either way, we have no idea what is coming but I am sure it will be interesting.

Time for the upgrade bug again. I can grab a few EVGA SC+ Gaming Ti's for $780 each Canadian and sell both my 780's for $700. I game on 1440p. specs are below. Thx :)

That said, did you buy those cards locally or order them online? If you bought them locally, how are they performing? Just curious because I have a EVGA 980 Ti FTW coming but will probably not see it until Wednesday since they still show it be packaged. :( Oh well, I knew I was not going to get it right away anyways. :D

1 Ti is a few fps slower than dual 780s and 2 980ti is about 160% better stock clocks and 170% max oc. Some games came out a few fps better with the 980ti over the dual 780s on higher settings

I'd honestly buy one 980ti and pocket the rest.

For those of those mentioning not wanting to upgrade. If you're someone who goes through parts every year, two, or three maximizing resale value is a huge step in continuing to upgrade. I think OP is getting a great resale value on their 780s where that may not be there in say six months.

1 Ti is a few fps slower than dual 780s and 2 980ti is about 160% better stock clocks and 170% max oc. Some games came out a few fps better with the 980ti over the dual 780s on higher settings

Yeah but as you already know lots of games simply don't work well with SLI and currently no game at 1440p really needs dual 980tis to run well. But why should I convince you otherwise, if you want to spend it, why not?

when you max everything out you do :) Unless i am doing something wrong.

I'd honestly buy one 980ti and pocket the rest.

For those of those mentioning not wanting to upgrade. If you're someone who goes through parts every year, two, or three maximizing resale value is a huge step in continuing to upgrade. I think OP is getting a great resale value on their 780s where that may not be there in say six months.

It's hard not to agree with this post.

I would get one 980ti, see if you're happy, then if you want it's simple to add a second.

I game at 3440x1440 and would be happy with one. All games I use AA on. Perhaps I will sacrifice on setting on high instead of ultra to mantain in some AA and 60FPS min. You should be able to max games at 2k/60Hz. The only reason you may need a second 980ti is for high Hz or if you like DSR. I love DSR + AA but wasn't worth the SLI issues to me. Coming from dual 780s you're not exactly going in blind. :)

I think Pascal will be a huge leap. I have no idea when though. I always guessed Q1 2017 (for full Pascal) but people seem to think sooner lately. Full die Pascal will destroy the current cards and cost $$$.

well as previously said the 980 ti is about the same as 2x 780's and sometimes a bit better (a few fps more) I wanted an upgrade from that. I was noticing in games my cards were almost maxing out.

Am i doing something wrong here with settings or something? What are optimal settings anyways? I've tried so many combinations.

and yes im gaming at 60hz 2560x1440.

Forgot to say i am in the market for a 144hz gsync monitor too.

well as previously said the 980 ti is about the same as 2x 780's and sometimes a bit better (a few fps more) I wanted an upgrade from that. I was noticing in games my cards were almost maxing out.

Am i doing something wrong here with settings or something? What are optimal settings anyways? I've tried so many combinations.

and yes im gaming at 60hz 2560x1440.

Forgot to say i am in the market for a 144hz gsync monitor too.

Which games are you having trouble with?

Personally I find nVidia's game setting profiles to be great bases to work from. If you haven't, check it out in GFE. Then tweak from there.

Optimal settings would be something like the following:
  1. AF at 16x
  2. At least 2x MSAA, or max SMAA/FXAA unless there's graphics glitches with those.
  3. Max out texture-related settings unless you hit VRAM limits
  4. If the game has shadow settings, lower that first. Seems like a lot of games these days have ridiculous shadow settings. In my experience you don't really notice shadow a lot, especially in fast paced games.

So it could actually be in game settings per game that could be messing things up? I will check into that

Playing Metro 2033 maxed uses up to 65% of each gpu using adaptive vsync. Its finally playable at the settings I like :) I do want to upgrade my monitor sometime soon to 144hz Gsync though.

Back