2x 74G Raptor and 1 x 320G Caviar question

jazzwall

n00b
Hi all,

I connected all three drives to the nVidia SATA connectors of A8N SLI Premium mb.

The two Raptors were connected to first two SATA slots (Sata 1 and Sata 2).
The Caviar was connected to Sata 3.
Sata 4 slot was left untouched.

In the BIOS, I setup the onboard NVRAID for the Raptors (Raid 0).

Now, when installing XP (after loading the Raid drivers using the floppy), two drives show up... the 320G Caviar, and the 148G Raid 0 combo. But during setup, the Caviar always shows up as the first drive and the raid setup as the second (something about IDE bus (?) being 0 vs 1... don't exactly remember).

1- Why is that? (I unplugged the Caviar, installed XP on the Raptors, and the plugged back the Caviar in... not sure if that makes a difference... but some part of my nooBrain just thought of doing it. Did it make a difference?)

2- Also, if I were to flash my BIOS, and lose all the RAID settings, is there a way to boot again using the Raptors? (I tried this once, but couldn't boot in XP... so had to start from scratch with setting up RAID and installing XP, etc).

3- Finally, I heard from a lot of people that I wasted money on buying two Raptors, especially since I'm using onboard Raid controller... any truth in that?

Thanks,

Jazz

jazzwall said:
Hi all,

I connected all three drives to the nVidia SATA connectors of A8N SLI Premium mb.

Now, when installing XP (after loading the Raid drivers using the floppy), two drives show up... the 320G Caviar, and the 148G Raid 0 combo. But during setup, the Caviar always shows up as the first drive and the raid setup as the second (something about IDE bus (?) being 0 vs 1... don't exactly remember).

1- Why is that? (I unplugged the Caviar, installed XP on the Raptors, and the plugged back the Caviar in... not sure if that makes a difference... but some part of my nooBrain just thought of doing it. Did it make a difference?)

2- Also, if I were to flash my BIOS, and lose all the RAID settings, is there a way to boot again using the Raptors? (I tried this once, but couldn't boot in XP... so had to start from scratch with setting up RAID and installing XP, etc).

3- Finally, I heard from a lot of people that I wasted money on buying two Raptors, especially since I'm using onboard Raid controller... any truth in that?

Thanks,

Jazz
1) Don't know, but why do you care?

2) I don't know.

3) Yes.

jazzwall said:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Jazz

1) It has to do with the boot order set in the BIOS, but... it doesn't really matter.

2) Honestly, I haven't ever used RAID because it was worthless for anything I did, but from what I recall of other people's posts you can just plug the settings back in and it should work.

3) Unless you're doing a lot of large file transfers (hundres/thousands of megabytes) it was a waste... not because of the RAID controller but because that's all RAID 0 is good for.

Same problem here, with only one sata raptor and one ide.

Want the sata to be recognized first, but it just wont. Everything still works though. It's just a perfection peeve. :p

Back