2u case/pci riser questions

Atherton213

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive got an extra pc laying around that i want to add to my rack as a pfsense/untangle box (whichever i end up picking)... its an old A64+ 3500

im trying to fit in in the least "u" i can... i know i can find 2u cases that fit full atx motherboards... problem is this computer has an AGP video card

im not against getting a cheap PCI video card... but most cases ive seen that are 2u require the use of a riser card to have them lay horizontal

i also need to put a gigabit pci adapter (the intel dual one), the risers ive seen usually take 1 pci slot and split it to 2. (eg http://www.opussolutions.net/catalog/images/PCA-22G-A.jpg). If i did something like that with a video card + gigabit adapter is that gonna over "saturate" the pci slot effecting the gigabit speeds?

Please report how it works for you. I'm curious.

I use the Norco 2U cases and have a low-profile network card.

I EVEN HAVE low profile video cards.

You don't really need any riser cards. I did 25 computers, 2U norcos, each had a PCI Express video card (but you can find agp im sure). Just look for LOW PROFILE when you buy things, that'll be 2U equiv.

I use the Norco 2U cases and have a low-profile network card.

I EVEN HAVE low profile video cards.

You don't really need any riser cards. I did 25 computers, 2U norcos, each had a PCI Express video card (but you can find agp im sure). Just look for LOW PROFILE when you buy things, that'll be 2U equiv.

Got my vote, i have 2 norco cases here at my house 1 2U half depth and one 4 u with 6 hdd's in it for my server.

Norco cases are great..

Back