2TB SSD Owners

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Was the 2TB drive worth the upgrade? Did you make use of it or is it empty for the most part?
Thinking of picking up a 2TB Samsung while they are on sale this week. I have a array of X8 drives already but the 1TB drives fill up pretty fast then I migrate the older games to the HDD once it's either finished or the game is really dated.

Was the 2TB drive worth the upgrade?
For me yes, but each person have different needs and budgets, so its up to each.

Did you make use of it or is it empty for the most part?
I run two Samsung 860Pro 4tb, one in desktop and one in laptop, both around 50% fill. Its advised never to fill up an ssd completely.

Thinking of picking up a 2TB Samsung while they are on sale this week. I have a array of X8 drives already but the 1TB drives fill up pretty fast then I migrate the older games to the HDD once it's either finished or the game is really dated.
For me mechanical are only worth for storage on my servers. SSDs will get cheaper and bigger over time, we are slowly walking the path to all ssds, some will take the jump before than others, its a matter of answering if its the right time for you, something that only you can decide.

I have a 2TB SSD on my gamer for Steam and mild storage. That mixed with an NVME OS drive, I'm very pleased with it. For bigger storage I offload to mechanical drives in another box.

With the prices of SSD's coming down, it makes it an easier decision to start incorporating less mechanical drives

I jumped primarily to get the PCIE4 bump in speeds. Then I figured since I'm upgrading, might as well go all in and bump it from 1tb to 2tb and not have to deal with it again for a long while.

I had no need for 2tb of local nvme, but got it anyway, lol. Only reason it is mostly full on trips is so i have 4k movies when in a no-internet area.

Now that being said: my NAS is also composed of 2TB SSDs (albeit, SATA), so there is that. Totally overkill, but makes good use of 10GbE.

Last edited:
Back