2TB+ External HDD Options?

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,798
I'm in need of a 2TB+ external HDD. There are some decent reviews on the WD My Book Essential & Passport, but I'm wondering if there is a better option out there for roughly the same price. I'm not partial to any particular brand/manufacturer. Are there any other good options out there for $100-$150? USB 3.0 is not a deal maker/breaker.

Also, I don't care about the sync/organization software. This is going to be a back up to hold some VMs, photos and documents and will only be plugged in every couple months.

Any feedback is appreciated.
 
I've used the Seagate 3TB external drives before. They worked, but heated up like crazy. Ended up pulling them out of the enclosures and using them in my case. Still functional over a year later, and they're used every day. I should mention that they do something crazy with their SATA->USB converter. Had to reformat every time I switched between external and internal use. Betcha it has something to do with that whole 4k block thing.
 
Back
Top