2TB Drive Recommendation

havokator

Limp Gawd
I am trying to decide between 3 different 2TB drives:
WD Green WD20EARS
Seagate Barracuda LP 5900rpm
Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI

I plan on using the drives in a onboard ICH10R controller RAID5 array. I was leaning towards the Samsung drive, but I heard it has a firmware problem. Is this still true?

Also, is the Samsung the only drive that supports TLER if I ever wanted to upgrade to a hardware RAID controller card?

I don´t know about raid, but the Samsung's are great and the firmware issue was solved last December, so they are good to go right out of the box.

I don´t know about raid, but the Samsung's are great and the firmware issue was solved last December, so they are good to go right out of the box.

Ok cool, so there is no need to upgrade the firmware anymore like I have been reading about? And do the Samsung's support TLER for hardware RAID?

I have four of the Samsung HD204UI's in a ZFS RAIDZ array and am very pleased with them. Any Samsung you purchase now should have the patched firmware so there are no worries about that. Performance is stellar in my opinion for such a cool and quiet drive.

I've got 5x HD204UI and 3x 5K3000 in a RAIDZ2 working flawlessly. It sucks that Samsung and Hitachi were bought out, as they were the last of the 3.5" manufacturers who actually built drives that work.

If I plan on running an onboard ICH10R RAID5 array, is there any disadvantage to using mixed drives (drives that are not all from the same manufacturer) as long as they are all the same size?

Back