• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2P mobo for AMD 6238

White Bear

n00b
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
4
I'm considering building a 2P system using AMD 6238 12-core processors.
This would be a dedicated folding machine.

What mother board would you guys recommend ??

What's the estimated PPD running Ubuntu ??

Thanks
 
If its for folding...

a Supermicro Or tyan board (asus does not currently have any good IL bioses)

A good 2p board cost ~$100 less than a 4p board... no reason not to go 4p :)
Don't have many IL ppd numbers to draw reference from...but it would be similar to 2 8 cores at 2.4ghz ...

What is your budget...
 
Get a 4p supermicro board. The cheaper option is the best one, it is missing some PCIe and HDD connectors but is just as fast for folding.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665025

With just those 2 cpus it will be around 150k ppd. Having a 4p board will leave you the option of upgrading in the future to about 450k ppd.

About 300W power draw with 2 cpu and 550W with four I would think.
 
New idea, to keep the cost and power expenses down.

A 1P board, $240 :
http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8SGL-Motherboard-ATX-w--Single-1944-pin-S-G34~10020016~0.htm

AMD 6272, 16 core, 2.1 GHz, $540 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113036&nm_mc

4 x 4 GB memory, DDR3, 1600, $100 :
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_1

Small SSD or normal HD ?? Any thoughts ??

Cool Master 211plus, 500W PS and ATX case, available at home.

No real budget, but I'm trying to be cost effective.

Thanks, for the help.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For a dedicated folding machine you only need 1GB or 2GB sticks, even on a 32 core machine only about 3GB or ram is used. If you can get a cheap HDD then go with that but a small SSD is also a good option for higher transfer rates and no moving parts.

For dedicated fah computers bigger is better. The way the bonus system works, the faster you complete each work unit, the more it is worth. The means not only are you completing more work in a week, but each work unit you upload is worth more too. If "points" matter to you then going with a multiple CPU rig is a good idea, it's been the norm the past couple years for dedicated folding machines. Power consumption is higher but you get more value for it.
As an illustration, the machine you outlined above would be able to earn about 55,000 points per day on average. If you put 4 of those cpus on a 4p board you would be getting about 420k points per day. A 2p system would be 150k ppd.

The because of the lower clocks the Opteron 6272 will only give you 5-10% more performance than one of the cheaper 6238 chips. For the CPU a last gen CPU the 6174 is will give you slightly better performance and probably use less power too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-OPTERON...95?pt=CPUs&hash=item564812ee0b#ht_3195wt_1108
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A 1P G34 system is just about the most pointless thing you could build.

I speak from experience.
 
New idea, to keep the cost and power expenses down.

A 1P board, $240 :
http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8SGL-Motherboard-ATX-w--Single-1944-pin-S-G34~10020016~0.htm

AMD 6272, 16 core, 2.1 GHz, $540 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113036&nm_mc

4 x 4 GB memory, DDR3, 1600, $100 :
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=sr_1_1

Small SSD or normal HD ?? Any thoughts ??

Cool Master 211plus, 500W PS and ATX case, available at home.

No real budget, but I'm trying to be cost effective.

Thanks, for the help.

if you want to save money and power you are better off going with an i7 2600k then a 1P board with a single 6200 series cpu. if you want to be cost effective now grab a 4p board and just grab 1 or 2 6200 series cpu's. then down the road you can buy 1 or 2 more. gives you way better upgrade path and room to grow down the road.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A 1P G34 system is just about the most pointless thing you could build.

I speak from experience.

I just did a build two weeks ago on a SM H8QGL-iF+, started with 1P (6176SE), which got 62kPPD and 66k with the kraken. Dropped in a second CPU, 178k w/kraken, then 201k with tear's memory modifications. R-Type speaks the truth.
 
I just did a build two weeks ago on a SM H8QGL-iF+, started with 1P (6176SE), which got 62kPPD and 66k with the kraken. Dropped in a second CPU, 178k w/kraken, then 201k with tear's memory modifications. R-Type speaks the truth.
Thanks, for your performance numbers. I wonder how much less a 6238 system would be.
15 or 20% ??

The best price that I can find on the 6176 SE is about $1000/ea. Did you find a better deal somewhere ??

Anyone order from CompSource ??
The $625, plus tax and ship., seem like a good price.
http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=MBDH8QGLIFO&vid=428&src=F
 
I just did a build two weeks ago on a SM H8QGL-iF+, started with 1P (6176SE), which got 62kPPD and 66k with the kraken. Dropped in a second CPU, 178k w/kraken, then 201k with tear's memory modifications. R-Type speaks the truth.

Very nice, I didn't think the memory timings accounted for so much. I saw a huge increase overclocking my cpu-nb so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised memory access time is the gain there, I will have to play with it further.

With a single magny dodeca at 3.3 ghz I would pull 105k ppd on 6904, adding a second chip took that to 300k ppd. It looks like in both our cases, 2x the processing power resulted in about 3x the ppd.
 
If you have any heat I'm hoping to have some 2p mobos for sale to team 33 members in the next few weeks.
 
Very nice, I didn't think the memory timings accounted for so much. I saw a huge increase overclocking my cpu-nb so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised memory access time is the gain there, I will have to play with it further.

With a single magny dodeca at 3.3 ghz I would pull 105k ppd on 6904, adding a second chip took that to 300k ppd. It looks like in both our cases, 2x the processing power resulted in about 3x the ppd.

Damn it, R-Type stumbled on my rule of thumb. 2x performance 3x PPDish (only works for the first calculation after that the PPD estimates go off on thier own obviously because the formula is not the same as the PPD curve but it is at least exponential).
 
Back
Top