2P/4P or just keep what I have now.

Carlitos714

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have 2 x i7-920's and 2 x x58 classifieds. I only fold a few days of the month and I really want something that will give me the most ppd. Only 1x i7-920 is folding along with 2 x gtx 480 (808 watts)(56k atm) :(!!!! The power usage is ridiculous so I want something that will let me get some good ppd but still being able to support the following:

2 gpu's
perc 5i
xonar dx
tv tuner (pcie x1)

Will the 2p/4p let me do everything my current setup does? I am concerned about the gaming aspect with a 2p/4p.

It my only solution an SR-2? maybe start with one xeon and then add another?

$$
Whatever I can get from my i7's and x58 classys + $200 is what I have to spend.

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited:
your i7 920's won't work together on an SR-2, so you are going to be looking at starting from scratch. i would suggest making a 4p just to fold :D

and keep one of the 920's to game on

your i7 920's won't work together on an SR-2, so you are going to be looking at starting from scratch. i would suggest starting from scratch and making a 4p just to fold :D
I understand that 920's dont work with an SR-2. I know I need to start from scratch, that is why I also put that I have $200 plus what ever I can get from both i7's and both classified boards. My main concern is I want to be able to game with whatever system I build. Thanks

gotcha, didn't read carefully. i know there are quite a few server boards that have x16, but i have heard server boards are finicky with SLi support, so it is nice that the sr-2 has the support for it. is your xonar pci-e as well?

gotcha, didn't read carefully. i know there are quite a few server boards that have x16, but i have heard server boards are finicky with SLi support, so it is nice that the sr-2 has the support for it. is your xonar pci-e as well?
Yes pcie x1

Will the 2p/4p let me do everything my current setup does? I am concerned about the gaming aspect with a 2p/4p.

It my only solution an SR-2? maybe start with one xeon and then add another?

$$
Whatever I can get from my i7's and x58 classys + $200 is what I have to spend.

What do you guys suggest?

I don't think you can do much better. The reason to go to 2p/4p would be to do bigadv. But that requires a dedicated machine, and in the price range you're talking about, if you can find anything, it will be something that is near the low-end of bigadv capable. That means 23-30m tpfs, meaning to complete one WU will take close to your allotted monthly folding time (in order to get bonus, it would need to run uninterrupted, and otherwise unused, for the entire time).

A SR-2 can game just fine, there are other 2p options that game well, but they will be out of your price range (2p 2011). But realistically, for folding I don't think the upgrade makes sense, given your constraints.

I don't think you can do much better. The reason to go to 2p/4p would be to do bigadv. But that requires a dedicated machine, and in the price range you're talking about, if you can find anything, it will be something that is near the low-end of bigadv capable. That means 23-30m tpfs, meaning to complete one WU will take close to your allotted monthly folding time (in order to get bonus, it would need to run uninterrupted, and otherwise unused, for the entire time).

A SR-2 can game just fine, there are other 2p options that game well, but they will be out of your price range (2p 2011). But realistically, for folding I don't think the upgrade makes sense, given your constraints.
What kind of PPD can an SR-2 x2 quad xeon @ 3.8-4.0 Ghz get?

Can the dual quad/sr-2 do bigadv at the frequency noted above?

Its been some time since I last saw what can actually do bigadv wu. Thank you for the info

I would not look at a 4p box to game and do everything else on...If you want to game you want higher clocks and not sure if you can get that from a 4p? I would pester patriot, he was doine a bunch of cine benches before he make a fire in his living room.

For what you are drawing from the wall, the PPD sucks, no way around it and I honestly do not say that to discourage you. 800w on 4p can be over 600k with ease depending on board and chips. Yes, you will need to spend to get there though...

Also, if you've not done so, folding under linux will get you more PPD on your smp folding.

I suggest watching for a 4p to go up for sale or watching for a board.

Socket F gear is kinda the budget way to go as well. I am not versed on that so cannot help there.

An SR2 to realistically do current BigAdv units needs dual hex at 3.1 Ghz, or insane clocks on the quads :D however it will game perfectly (no issues for me, crossfire in my case)

I would not look at a 4p box to game and do everything else on...If you want to game you want higher clocks and not sure if you can get that from a 4p? I would pester patriot, he was doine a bunch of cine benches before he make a fire in his living room.

For what you are drawing from the wall, the PPD sucks, no way around it and I honestly do not say that to discourage you. 800w on 4p can be over 600k with ease depending on board and chips. Yes, you will need to spend to get there though...

Also, if you've not done so, folding under linux will get you more PPD on your smp folding.

I suggest watching for a 4p to go up for sale or watching for a board.

Socket F gear is kinda the budget way to go as well. I am not versed on that so cannot help there.

Yup looks like a 4p is not for me right now. Yes 800 w sucks. Those GTX 480's dont help either. I do have lot so thing in my sig rig though.

I currently have windows 8. How about ramdisk? I have 18 gb or ram and I really only need 6 gb. How can I set up linux while still being able to access windows 8?

I will watch for those 4p or socket F. Thank you

An SR2 to realistically do current BigAdv units needs dual hex at 3.1 Ghz, or insane clocks on the quads :D however it will game perfectly (no issues for me, crossfire in my case)
Insane clocks are at what frequency?

I have two i7-920 rigs and would be nice to get rid of both and just have an SR-2 with dual quads.

Yup looks like a 4p is not for me right now. Yes 800 w sucks. Those GTX 480's dont help either. I do have lot so thing in my sig rig though.

I currently have windows 8. How about ramdisk? I have 18 gb or ram and I really only need 6 gb. How can I set up linux while still being able to access windows 8?

I will watch for those 4p or socket F. Thank you

Don't bother with any 2p socket f. Going rate on a g34 board is about 500 used.

For linux, you would need to do a dual boot. Ubuntu will do the partitioning for you. You can do wubi which will install linux without touching your partitions. Then, in the subforum up above, there is a script you run to install everything, supply your name and passphrase.

Last I knew it was 4.0+ For quads, however my knowledge on that is quite old. To do that you need high BCLK (alot of SR's will not pass 200 BCLK)

Don't bother with any 2p socket f. Going rate on a g34 board is about 500 used.

For linux, you would need to do a dual boot. Ubuntu will do the partitioning for you. You can do wubi which will install linux without touching your partitions. Then, in the subforum up above, there is a script you run to install everything, supply your name and passphrase.

what if i put linux in vmare?

will that work?

Thank you

I would agree that you probably dont want to be gaming on your folding rig, if you were to go 2p/4p. Im sure it could be done but with the money you'd have to spend to have it be a worthy gaming computer, you could probably just build a second computer just to game on.

If you're looking to fold and want to keep the computer you have now to game on, take a look at Socket F folding. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749898 and http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749875&highlight==

You say you have about $200 to spend. With a little more you'd be able to build you a nice 2P that would have the capability (when you get some extra money) to later be a 4P. That 4P would be the cheapest way to go BigAdv right now.

You can sell your old stuffs and buy a new system with i7-3930k. You overclock it and run vmware, linuxvm and corehack and able to get bigadv, and play game. I don't have one but if I can only have one system, that is the one I will choose. Much better than 2p opteron6272, cheaper and more energy efficient.

You can sell your old stuffs and buy a new system with i7-3930k. You overclock it and run vmware, linuxvm and corehack and able to get bigadv, and play game. I don't have one but if I can only have one system, that is the one I will choose. Much better than 2p opteron6272, cheaper and more energy efficient.

Discussing the corehack is a no-no on here:mad:. All the core hack did was force PG to lower the tpf limit for chips to be able to complete BA units ahead of deadline. Thus making 80% of existing BA rigs redundant and upsetting a lot of folders in the process.

@OP a 3960/70x will make an excellent SMP rig capable of 70k PPD with the right units.

Gaming on a 2p is doable (I game on my dual L5640) but you ideally need fast quad or hex core cpu's and meaty gpu's. Also I don't know of an SLI capable board other than the SR-2. Asus and supermicro do do dual x16 mobo's but I do not know if they are sli capable. This is probably beyond your budget.

An alternative would be to sell your existing 480's and get either some newer Fermi or kepler based cards or switch to AMD. Either would help lower your electric bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincel View Post
linuxvm and corehack and able to get bigadv

If you do that, please do not fold for team 33.

Since when you became an ethical judge? I don't corehack and I don't find it immoral as buying an engineering cpu (stolen property). What is about this discrimination for lesser cores system, if they able to perform the same task?

Since when you became an ethical judge? I don't corehack and I don't find it immoral as buying an engineering cpu (stolen property). What is about this discrimination for lesser cores system, if they able to perform the same task?

Not the ethical judge, just pointing out that the team does not support or tolerate the use of corehack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincel View Post
linuxvm and corehack and able to get bigadv

The first is a legal issue, between the buyer and AMD/Intel, FAH has nothing to do with it. The second is manipulating WU assignment from FAH, something stanford will ban people for, and will reflect negatively on the team. There are ethical issues, but the distinction above holds completely separate from them.

@OP never mind about my suggestion.
@402blownstroker sorry for giving out a wrong idea.

Not the ethical judge, just pointing out that the team does not support or tolerate the use of corehack.

But you can't stop ppl doing that and still fold for team 33, right?

In other words, you just don't want ppl talking about it here - at [H] :p

Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe the 3930k will work.

I won't
Discussing the corehack is a no-no on here:mad:. All the core hack did was force PG to lower the tpf limit for chips to be able to complete BA units ahead of deadline. Thus making 80% of existing BA rigs redundant and upsetting a lot of folders in the process.

@OP a 3960/70x will make an excellent SMP rig capable of 70k PPD with the right units.

Gaming on a 2p is doable (I game on my dual L5640) but you ideally need fast quad or hex core cpu's and meaty gpu's. Also I don't know of an SLI capable board other than the SR-2. Asus and supermicro do do dual x16 mobo's but I do not know if they are sli capable. This is probably beyond your budget.

An alternative would be to sell your existing 480's and get either some newer Fermi or kepler based cards or switch to AMD. Either would help lower your electric bill
1. The 3960/70x is probably out of my budget....maybe. I do have a microcenter near. So I am basically looking at $540 plus another $150 for a used board. So about $690 taxes included.

Lets see sell my i7-920 for $100-120 x 2 and x58 SLI for about $100-120. So in reality I could get anywhere from $400-$480 right? plus another $200. That could potentially fund that 6 core 2011 cpu.

3. How does the i7-3820 fold? I can't find anything on it. I know its partially locked but can still overclock

2. Yea I think the sr-2 is the only one that will support SLI :(

Keep it on topic guys, the CoreHacks, and its ethics is generally something to stick away from, along with the purchasing of ES chips.

@ OP, I would say keep watching the FS/FT section here in the DC area, you may be able to find someone offloading an SR2 for a great deal, thats how i picked mine up.

Keep it on topic guys, the CoreHacks, and its ethics is generally something to stick away from, along with the purchasing of ES chips.

@ OP, I would say keep watching the FS/FT section here in the DC area, you may be able to find someone offloading an SR2 for a great deal, thats how i picked mine up.
Thank you for the suggestion. I just ignored the off topic stuff. Thank you

Back