2nd Secondary IDE Channel wont install

(S)lave

n00b
Heres the deal. I got a spanky brand new DVD DL Burner installed into my RIG.
First time round XP went to work install the drivers no problems, I even got it to burn a 4.7GB DVD in 3mins :D So I think COOL all is well :eek:

But just when I thought it was all over. The next time I booted up XP said it found new hardware again (the burner) as it started to install the 2nd Secondary IDE Channel is stops and tells me that the drivers its using to install the 2nd Secondary IDE Channel aren't ment for WinXP

Now the funny thing is its just trying to install XP's default IDE control driver. :confused:

XP still sees the Burner (sometimes) but now every time windows starts it finds the 2nd Secondary IDE Channel and trys to install it but with the same result.

I have tryed switching the drive to the IDE channel 1 but the same thing happens with the drive on IDE Chennel 2

I'm Running 3 IDE Drives and 2 SATA Drives.

IDE:
Lite-on DVD-ROM: IDE 1 master
Lite-on CDRW: IDE 1 Slave
Lite-on DVD-R/RW DL: IDE 2 Master

SATA:
Matrox 160Gb 8mb: SATA 1
Seagate 200Gb 8mb: SATA 2

I don't think it's because I have so many drives as my MOBO can also hook up another 4 SATA Drives.

Anyone got any ideas, on how to fix it?

Just because no one has posted any help for you I'll point you to this:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=828683

I talked about a solution that worked for the guy and myself but this sounds like a different thing.

What I would take from that message though is to remove the new drive and see if XP will handle the install for the 2nd controller and then when you reboot not ask you about it again.

Then I would start playing around with master/slave on the drive, ide1/id2, and master/slave on the cable itself.

Worth a shot if it were me sitting infront of your PC.

On some boards, depending on how the BIOS is configured, the secondary IDE channels should be disabled if your using SATA. My recommendation is to ditch one of the drives on your primary IDE channel, and move your new burner over there. You don't need all three drives. Try it out with nothing on the secondary channel and see if that brings back stability.

My system is similar in the fact I have two SATA drives, and then on my primary IDE channel, I have a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW. The second channel is empty and disabled in the BIOS.

My SATA Drives are on it's on controler chip, and run from a SATA bus on my board.

Please see IDE Driver is not intended for this platform FIX Thread.

Thank you for chosing to post on the thread and I hope to hear from you soon.

Back