2nd Idea for h100 extra cooling, add a peltier onto the rad.

NeonGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
would it be possible to add a peltier to the ends of the h100/180/ [whatever] rads ?
Stick it directly on the rad end. Now Im just droping the the temp of the water 10-20c.
The rad is still using its 120mm fans so i dont think i will need a really powerfull peltier .. is this possible ? I know the h100 rad will need more of a rectangular peltier and other rads might take a square one. how big of a heatsink would be needed to to cool the peltier ?
what size peltier would be needed to take a extra 10-20c off temp in the h100 ?
is it worth it ?

you mean the radiator or the cpu block?
if it's the radiator, how would you attach it? the radiator is pretty much a big heatsink, it doesn't have a smooth surface on which the peltier can do its job.

Your best bet would be on the gpu block, but the radiator would also have to dissipate the heat from the peltier...

The way you use a peltier is by putting it between the CPU and the CPU block. It won't work if you stick it to the radiator end, because it won't have any way to disperse the heat.

How much is needed to cool it depends on the wattage of the peltier unit. Also, it will require your H100 to work harder (louder), because it now has CPU + peltier to cool.

no the peltier will go on the radiator not the cpu block. there is ereas for a peltier or tech to fit on the rad then a heatsink would go on the tech.

no the peltier will go on the radiator not the cpu block. there is ereas for a peltier or tech to fit on the rad then a heatsink would go on the tech.

so your idea is to actually cool the radiator?

/facepalm

No... just no, it won't work. Unless you want to put a massive heatsink the size of the Coolermaster V10 onto your peltier chip. And even then, you're only cooling the frame of the radiator. The water is barely in contact with the frame, so it will hardly be cooled by it.

A peltier works by creating a temperature difference between the two sides. That difference will always be the same, regardless of the temperature it is operating at. As the overall unit gets hotter, that heat needs to go somewhere. If it doesn't, the cold side will quickly become hotter than ambient, and the hot side will just be blistering hot.

indeed, so you would have your radiator with a peltier on top and another radiator (or heatsink/fan) attached to cool the peltier... yo dawg...

You're forgetting two very important parts.

How would you cool the peltier, and how would you deal with the horrid contact surface area between the radiator and the peltier.

maybe this will help. Im sorry but if you get a good contact tech to rad coldness will disperse into the water since the metal will absorb the cold as long as tech is cooled by a heatsink. . Again for the 3rd time the 120 mm fans are still on the h100 so the tech is really gravy added for extra cooling. i am not sure what tech to use or what size heatsink would be needed. You guys think it has to cool all the cpu heat load.....nope
other rads like the h80 or h60 have bigger surface ereas for techs might be better contact,

h100.jpg

Last edited:
Did you even read my post at all? Read it again. 5 times over if you still don't get it. And for your reference, the V10 is a massive TEC heatsink approximately the size of the NH-D14.

And it's called a TEC, not a tech. Also known as ThermoElectric Cooling.

Edit: And no, it will not magically make your temperatures 10-20 C cooler unless you were somehow getting the radiator below ambient temps. And at that point, having fans on the H100 would increase radiator temps due to the ambient temps being higher than radiator temps. The best (guessing) it will do is maybe 2-3 C at the expense of 80+ watts consumed, simply due to poor contact. The frame isn't made to transfer heat. Period. The fins transfer heat well, but you can't get proper contact with those.

Thats, put simply, a poor idea. I can't imagine it improving temps much, maybe 2 or 3c. If its efficient, it'll also create condensation and drip onto your video card. Worst case scenario, it cools so well that you eventually end up with a block of ice in the rad blocking your flow completely.

Just don't do it.

This is so much fun, just an idea guys. I worked with a tec on my old slotkit celeron chip back in the day. I simple dont have the data and you guys seem to be helping out.

dont killl the guy with the idea.

Last edited:
Back