2nd IDE/ATA Drive?

STR

Gawd
I currently have an 80GB drive (had a 120, which died, but I was too broke and too in a hurry to find an exact replacement) which is running out of space. I have space on the cable for a slave drive and am thinking of adding a 2nd HD. I've heard that putting games on a 2nd drive like that is bad because games on D:\ (slave) have to fetch files from the OS on C:\ and that can cause major hangups. It's not SATA, but old ATA on an IDE (which I guess you know from the title and reference to a slave drive).

So, in summation, I'd like to know the best course of action I should take. Any HD recommendations would also be appreciated, but not necissary. I just have no experience with 2nd HD's and it's a little difficult to find my answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can place games on a seperate drive from the OS, but some games may respond erratically.

Your best bet is to follow your first thought and place your OS/Apps./Games on one drive, and storage for the secondary drive.

With regard to drive selection, there are many choices depending on what you are looking for. I suggest reading this thread as there is good information contained within. Insure that your jumper settings are correct when placing the second drive on the IDE cable.

Good Luck.

p.s.

If you would like to maximize your disk performance, obtain a PCI ATA expansion card and place your second drive as master on it. In this configuration, both HDs can be accessed simutaneously. Then place the page file on the non-boot disk.

Back