2nd 4850 to die?

snefan

Limp Gawd
so, bought a 4850 512mb a few months back, died after 2 months or so, got an RMA, got an 4850 TOP in return. now, same issues are appearing again, mainly COD4 freezes and sound repeats until i manually push restart button, plus my FPS in all games have dropped to about 1/3 of what is was when the cards were new..

first card had the stock crap fan, and constantly was 90-100+ degrees C

the new card from asus has another fan and runs nice and cool, but still this?

is ati really this fail, or am i missing something?

Increase the fan speed in CCC ATI Overdrive. That should drop the temps. I sold my 4850 since I didn't want the hot air blowing inside the case.

so, bought a 4850 512mb a few months back, died after 2 months or so, got an RMA, got an 4850 TOP in return. now, same issues are appearing again, mainly COD4 freezes and sound repeats until i manually push restart button, plus my FPS in all games have dropped to about 1/3 of what is was when the cards were new..

first card had the stock crap fan, and constantly was 90-100+ degrees C

the new card from asus has another fan and runs nice and cool, but still this?

is ati really this fail, or am i missing something?

COD4 freezes and sound repeat? Thats not a videocard issue but most likely a CPU overclock issue or memory issue and not videocard. Turn your overclock back down!

youre running 3 ghz on an e4300 at 1.3 volts?! that doesn't sound like enough. most need at least 1.35, more like 1.375-1.4!

I agree with the overclock being the issue. I recently had the same type of issue with my system and turning down the CPU overclock resolved the issue; not sure why it appeared since the system had been stable at the previous settings for well over a year.

I would also be careful as you really are pushing it with only having a 430W PSU in your system.

you are missing something.

Running my 4850 for a month playing everything from Crysis Warhead/Red Alert 3/Rainbow 6 vegas 2 blah yada....

You should try an aftermarket cooler....I recommend the GFXChilla. Right now my GPU temps are 32C at idle and...45C full load

i think the 430w PSU could also be at fault

0.png

You should try an aftermarket cooler....I recommend the GFXChilla. Right now my GPU temps are 32C at idle and...45C full load

another fool fails to read the whole thread.

THE CARD IS RUNNING COOL
get it now? *sigh* :rolleyes: i said in the FIRST post that this second card IS running cool.

seems like its my CPU this time, reset it to stock speeds and no freeze so far.

AmongTheChosenX: yada yada stuff
reported, take your shit elsewhere

i think the 430w PSU could also be at fault
It's gotten to the point now when people suggest they're consistently getting graphics card problems (even after multiple RMA's), I just immediately go to the PSU.

How many of these threads do we see per week?
The typical "This graphics card company is shitty!" and it always looks like the PSU is at fault? Or in this case maybe an unstable overclock?

I feel bad for video card manufacturers, they get blamed for everything.
I'm also sad to see [H] turning into 4chan. People shouldn't be spamming threads with "FAIL!", especially if they have nothing useful to say.

To the OP, when you post in the ATI forum you should try to sound less hostile than your original post. People will get angry if you threaten their fanboyisms.

youre running 3 ghz on an e4300 at 1.3 volts?! that doesn't sound like enough. most need at least 1.35, more like 1.375-1.4!

My E4400 ran 3.2ghz at 1.3 volts for almost a year until I sold it off. I know it's not exactly the same chip but it's similar enough :D. I guess we were just lucky. My buddy got a e4300 and couldn't get past 2.8.

I still think it is the power supply.

Not enough wattage to power an overclock as well as a 4850.

Just looked at the box on my 4850 and it says a "minimum 450w power supply".

Generally going below what the minimum on what a piece of hardware requires is not a very good idea.

And to top it off, you are trying to overclock with an under minimum spec power supply.

Back