2K Panel Advice Needed Please

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
I haven't been following the monitor seen for awhile so sorry to many for what may be a basic purchase but, with over 175 2K monitors listed on NewEgg along with prices ranging from $200 to over $1K, I am having a really hard time narrowing down my list. Not to mention the plethora of vendors, such as QNIX, using rejected panels from other manufacturers.

Looking for a single 2K monitor advice to replace two 5 year old Dell S2409W models. These panels have worked flawlessly for 5 years, I love them for what I do but it's time for something different.

Why? I want to reduce desktop size and no longer run multiple panels but due, to a large number of open windows on my screens at any given time, I will need to increase resolution from 1920x1080 to something like 2560x1440. I am really growing tired of 1920x1080 in general.

Usage:

• Desktop apps, browsing, single player non-FPS games, and one MMO (EVE Online)
  • I run 4 EVE clients all in different window sizes and mix of tite/cascade mode depending on what I am doing.
  • GPU: GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM

Requirements/Budget:

• I am pretty sure 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 is the resolution I want/need and I also want a single DisplayPort.
  • I'd like to not spend more than $500 and, ideally, under $400 if possible.
  • I don't like glossy displays, I prefer matte black with thin bezels.
  • 50W or less power draw as my two S2409's are drawing a combined ~80W.

Thanks for any advice.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, reading a couple other posts, I may increase my budget slightly and go with a S27D850T or a S32D850T or maybe even the LG 27MB85R..

S27D850T looks good.

Also, check out the u2515h, it's a 400" 25" 1440p IPS with matte coating and slim bezels.

S27D850T looks good.

Also, check out the u2515h, it's a 400" 25" 1440p IPS with matte coating and slim bezels.
Thanks, I have been looking at the U2515H along with the 27" U2715H. I think my old eyes would really like to go 27" or 32" so I guess my budget has now increased to $600.

Thanks, I have been looking at the U2515H along with the 27" U2715H. I think my old eyes would really like to go 27" or 32" so I guess my budget has now increased to $600.
Seems as though the U2x15H suffers from one thing I don't like about my last Dell 24" I ended up giving my mother and have been keeping S2409W for so long. Blacks look awesome on my two S2409W's which have always surprised me for such a cheap monitor 5 years ago.

NCX said:
Unfortunately, the U2715H is expensive (600$ US vs 450-550$ for the AOC Q2770PQU, Asus PB278Q/R and BenQ BL2710PT) and uses LG's frame-less which is not actually frame-less. Frame-less monitors have inner black bezels which ruin the perceived black depth and make dark content look a bit washed out,

Sounds like the ASUS PB278Q would be the better choice with this in mind and $100 cheaper.

Current monitors on my short list showing current current Amazon pricing, I have a few reasons (such as freee Prime and some gift cards) as why I'd prefer to make this purchase via Amazon.

I'd really tempted to go with the S32D850T but NCX's review of the 27" with regards to the perceived black depth worries me thanks to the bezel design. The PWM worries me as well. I assume the 27" and 32" models are very similar. I'd really like a 32" panel so if I end up with a 27" instead, it probably wouldn't be the S27D850T.

$439.97 - ASUS PB278Q (Free Prime Shipping)
$519.99 - Samsung S27D850T (Free Prime Shipping)
$599.99 - Samsung S32D850T (Free Prime Shipping)
$619.99 - LG 27MB85R-B (Free Shipping but no Prime and not fulfilled by Amazon)

The LG is probably at the very top of my budget unfortunately.

Closest resolution to 2K you'll see is 1920x1080. 2560x1440 is 2.5K. I knew what you meant but it is a pet hate of mine when people use 2K to refer to QHD.
Well, several reviews of a couple of the models I've listed have even referred to them as 2K monitors. I've rarely, if ever, heard of 2.5K only 2K, 3K, and 4K. It is all semantics anyway, especially if you knew what I meant in the first place. Again, if you have no constructive advice to add to my thread, please just stop posting.

Maybe I should add the BenQ BL2710PT to my short list as well. However, I'd have to go with a BenQ direct refurb but the price is nice at $410. shipped. Some new BenQs are still out there but come with $730 to $800 price tags. Again, I am a very casual gamer so I am not sure if I would benefit from the $200 more LG 27MB85R-B. I need to read the BL2710PT and PB278Q reviews again.

Well, several reviews of a couple of the models I've listed have even referred to them as 2K monitors. I've rarely, if ever, heard of 2.5K only 2K, 3K, and 4K. It is all semantics anyway, especially if you knew what I meant in the first place. Again, if you have no constructive advice to add to my thread, please just stop posting.

That's mostly because most people don't have any idea how the K ratings work and they're so loose as to be of practically no value.

On the actual topic, I would buy a Dell U2715H. Yes, it's near the top of your budget, but it has very good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00P0EQD1Q (Or buy from Dell the next time they put it on sale, which happens a lot)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am sort of in the same boat as the OP here....I have been torn on what resolution to get, so I have decided to give of on 4k and 3k and just stick with 2k for my FPS games and Elite Dangerous. I want to run an eyefinity set up as well so 2k should do me just fine. Some nice selections here on this post. Let me know what you decide OP.

Screw trying to make a choice on a semi-matte panel, time to give glossy a try. After spending the past four solid hours of reading posts and reviews by NCX, Nikyo, =DEAD=, et al,. I just ordered a Crossover 2720MDP.

The LG is probably at the very top of my budget unfortunately.
The LG dips down to around $510 every now and then, if you're patient. It was around that price for a short time a few days ago on bhphotovideo.com.

Back