2GB memory limitation in XP

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm dual booting Windows Vista 64bit on one drive and Windows XP on another drive. I have 4 GB of RAM installed, and I'm hitting the memory limitation in XP because of this. I did some research and it said to change a switch in the boot.ini file so that it sees more memory, but I dont have a Boot.ini file because of dual booting with Vista! ugh...Anyone have a clue how to do this?

The limit I see in XP 32-bit is ~3.2GB available to programs on a 4GB system.

There is a 2GB per process limit in XP 32-bit and you probably are not running into that. You can edit the startup settings (System icon in control panel) to add the /3GB switch for programs that know how to use more memory as described here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx But it's not likely going to do anything for you.

If the 'memory limitation' being referred to in the topic post is the failure to report the full 4Gb as available, then the /3G switch will NOT overcome that, as mentioned above. Nothing can. Only installing and using 64-bit Windows can overcome that 'problem'.

I'd hazard a guess that the dual-boot relates to gaming, given the hardware in the rig. If that is the case then the 'thinking' is awry here. It's rather evident where the gaming 'bottleneck' is in that rig, and it isn't the OS or its configuration. If the gaming on that rig is being restricted it's because the display card, whilst having a decent enough GPU, only has 256Mb of video RAM.

That's not the sort of shit people like to hear, of course. Especially if a fair few dollars was laid out for the display card when it was purchased. But that's the REAL 'memory limitation' in the rig. When it comes to the heavy-duty graphics calculations, there's a limited amount of graphics memory available to accomodate it. All the tweaking and configuration in the world can't overcome circumstances like that, where the hardware is 'unbalanced' for the work being asked of it. Trying is just pissing into the wind.

I'm not 'dissing' the system in saying that. I've a similarly capable rig of my own. You just gotta accept its limitations, is all ;)

Just asking but why do you dual boot?

Because I can? :D Plus it was a learning experience to get it work

In all seriousness, my gaming performance under Vista 64-bit has been really disappointing...MOH: Airborne was slide show.

In regards to the memory limitation....XP is only reporting 2GB when it should report more then that...thats issue I'm trying to resolve. I know I won't have the full 4GB of memory like I do under Vista 64 Bit.

Scott

Back