2d to 3d TV's

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
So i'm hearing about these tv's that dynamically "upconvert" 2d movies to 3d. Do you guys know how this technology works?

I can't even begin to comprehend how a tv can dynamically extract any depth information from a 2d movie.

I've heard this is a gimmick, but I wonder how "smart" the technology really is.

Well it looks like it works on edge detection, similarly to the aa post processing modes. It looks for an edge via contrast or something similar. Then it makes a guess at what the depth might be. I've heard people say its quite good, but it's probably similar to how they convert 2d movies to 3d. It most likely looks like card board cut outs on layers. So playing a game will most likely look stupid.

Real 3D is impossible if the program or movie wasn't recorded with an actual dual-lens 3D camera. The 2D to 3D converters all work to some extent, but there's no way it will look like real 3D.

Well it looks like it works on edge detection, similarly to the aa post processing modes. It looks for an edge via contrast or something similar. Then it makes a guess at what the depth might be. I've heard people say its quite good, but it's probably similar to how they convert 2d movies to 3d. It most likely looks like card board cut outs on layers. So playing a game will most likely look stupid.
thats interesting, i didn't think of edge detection. Googling it didn't shed any light on whether or not is applies to 2d to 3d conversion.

Back