295x2: Second GPU downclocking

00Dan

Weaksauce
To those who know more than I: I have a potential problem.

In various games, my 295x2 does not run at full core clock in crossfire. In some, both GPUs will be throttling down from max, or sometimes one will run at max while the other throttles.

ULPS is disabled in afterburner and in the registry, both cards are running well under the 75 degree PowerPlay threshold.

I found this when I began monitoring my GPU usage and clocks in certain games in which I was experiencing microstuttering. I believe the slow second GPU may be what is causing my erratic frame times.

I'm at a loss for what may be causing this. I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to software fixes.

Some games are not optimized for CrossFire - you may want to try disabling CF and running in single card mode - see if that fixes the microstuttering.

Some games are not optimized for CrossFire - you may want to try disabling CF and running in single card mode - see if that fixes the microstuttering.

This. More often than not this is the issue.

Also, same card "crossfire" tends to be more finnicky in my experience than single cards in multi gpu configurations.

Sounds like your second GPU is not "throttling", it's just not being utilized as much as your other. I see this commonly on my 295x2 unless the game is well optimized for Crossfire. In what games are you seeing this behavior? Can you test playing a game that is highly optimized for Crossfire like BF4 or Tomb Raider and see if both GPUs are being utilized within 10% of each other?

Also, not sure if possible on a single Crossfire card like the 295x2, but is there a way to change GPU2 to GPU1? If not in software, you may be able to do it with a simple bios flash...

Back