2900XT 1GB GDDR4 Next Month

hd2900xt_02.jpg

hd2900xt_03.jpg

hd2900xt_04.jpg

here is some 16x+4x weak CF testing, 1st card @ stock clocking and 2nd card @ 500/500 clocking (much lower than stock clock speed)

3Dmark03.......................60120
3Dmark05.......................26586
3Dmark06.......................19390

For the sake of fairness, lets say that the "XTX" varient does beat the GTX......

Ok, congrats, you've beaten a card that has been out for 7-8 months now. There are rumors going around that in 4 months the next gen. for nVidia will be released with "approx. 1Tf" of computing ability. Granted that sounds really impressive, and the fact that it's vapor-ware at this time, but still... Ati has 3-4 months of 12 being the "leader".

With this revision, I'm not expecting an sig. improvement in heat or power consumption for the 1Gb varient. Again, I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. I hope that with the R700, Ati can pull it's collective head out and use this as another trail / stepping stone to an more equal / competitive to nVidia.

I'll wait to see what proven facts THG or INQ come foward with... ... ... ...

(I'll probably be waiting awhile).

For the sake of fairness, lets say that the "XTX" varient does beat the GTX......

Ok, congrats, you've beaten a card that has been out for 7-8 months now. There are rumors going around that in 4 months the next gen. for nVidia will be released with "approx. 1Tf" of computing ability. Granted that sounds really impressive, and the fact that it's vapor-ware at this time, but still... Ati has 3-4 months of 12 being the "leader".

With this revision, I'm not expecting an sig. improvement in heat or power consumption for the 1Gb varient. Again, I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. I hope that with the R700, Ati can pull it's collective head out and use this as another trail / stepping stone to an more equal / competitive to nVidia.

I'll wait to see what proven facts THG or INQ come foward with... ... ... ...

(I'll probably be waiting awhile).

Judging by the performance of the HD 2900XT in regard to the 8800GTX and Ultra cards, there is little doubt in my mind that a higher clocked 80nm HD 2900XTX with 1GB of GDDR4 won't be able to touch the afore mentioned NVIDIA card's performance. And your right, even if it does, I doubt it would be by much and would certainly be an unlikely upgrade for anyone already having an 8800GTX or Ultra. So *IF* the so called HD 2900XTX 1GB is actually a little bit ffaster, It's too little too late.

Judging by the performance of the HD 2900XT in regard to the 8800GTX and Ultra cards, there is little doubt in my mind that a higher clocked 80nm HD 2900XTX with 1GB of GDDR4 won't be able to touch the afore mentioned NVIDIA card's performance. And your right, even if it does, I doubt it would be by much and would certainly be an unlikely upgrade for anyone already having an 8800GTX or Ultra. So *IF* the so called HD 2900XTX 1GB is actually a little bit ffaster, It's too little too late.

I will love to see you eat your words when X2900XTX hit the market.

I will love to see you eat your words when X2900XTX hit the market.

If the HD 2900XTX were badass enough, I'd be among the first to buy a pair of them. The fact is that it's very unlikely based on what we know about the R600 architecture. Unless the HD 2900XTX get's a die shrink which seems unlikely anytime soon, it will never match the 8800GTX, or Ultra, much less beat them. I don't think 1GB of GDDR4 will do enough for it's performance. You can keep hoping it will happen, but the facts point to otherwise. Thinking that the HD 2900XTX will be the magic bullet to put ATI back on top the way R300 and the 9700Pro did is wishful thinking at best.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Face it, right now NVIDIA has the better product. Hands down. NVIDIA fanboy's had to live with it during the Geforce FX days and ATI Zealots have to deal with the reality of ATI's failure to compete effectively now.

There are some benchmarks HERE posted by Viper John who has one or two of these cards already....he is working them up for one of his OEM customers....

There are some benchmarks HERE posted by Viper John who has one or two of these cards already....he is working them up for one of his OEM customers....

Yep had em both from the same customer lol. I can say one thing and that is the 8800's do have
better IQ in the benchmarks. It is the 1900 IQ versus 7800/7900 IQ just flipped around this time.

Viper

The benchmarks don't look all that impressive for a water cooled system, esp if the image quality is lower than the 8 series. And 1GB of GDDR4 is probably going to make it cost as much as a GTX.

10mhz bump in gpu speed, 175mhz bump in mem speed... seems like the x1950xtx all over again.

Well sure if you have so much money and you would rather get 5 fps or a cooler looking cooler why not waste the extra $200... though I suppose that money could be better given to a non-profit or charity.
That's a fair opinion...and only an opinion.

This isn't on topic, but if an individual is willing to spend $800 on a video card, $260,000 on a car, or $3,500 for a toilet seat, and give absolutely nothing to a charity, that's absolutely none of your concern.

I'm a little confused. Who is "Viper John", and how exactly did he get these cards?

Face it people, no driver magic, no amount of memory and nothing short of a die shrink and clock speed increase is going to make any R600 card a GTX killer.

I didnt see anyone claiming it would? Fact is, drivers will increase its performance, to what measure we dont know yet. All new cards get faster with newer drivers. The 8800's did as well. The 2900XT's may get more of a performance increase than the NV cards, we'll have to wait and see. But again, I didnt see anyone claiming anything of the sort that it would be a GTX killer.

That's a fair opinion...and only an opinion.

This isn't on topic, but if an individual is willing to spend $800 on a video card, $260,000 on a car, or $3,500 for a toilet seat, and give absolutely nothing to a charity, that's absolutely none of your concern.

I'm a little confused. Who is "Viper John", and how exactly did he get these cards?

I agree. I defended the argument when people wanted to buy a 8800GTX Ultra. Not everyone makes the same amount of money, and $800 isnt a lot for everyone. Its really as simple as that. Some people drive BMW's, some people drive Fords. While I personally wouldnt buy an Ultra over a regular overclocked GTX, some people have the funds to do it easily.

Viper John is a madman who mods cards to extreme levels. A simple google search shows his site on the first hit; http://imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn

The Viper John post doesn't mean a whole lot. The 2900XT is already winning these benchmarks, but it's not translated into game performance.

What's going to be intresting about a 2900XTX 1GB of GDDR4 RAM is the price. Obviously, this card is meant to go against the 8800GTX, so it really can't go over the $500 mark, unless of course its consistently faster than a GTX which seems unlikely. At that price point, who is AMD supposed to make money I wonder? It's got to be pretty exspensive to make these.

Viper John is a madman who mods cards to extreme levels. A simple google search shows his site on the first hit; http://imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn

Great link, thanks. Actually, great pics from the 2900XT from Fornowagain, too :D

Wow, he's got some great pics of modded cards. I'd love to have a dual-card set up of *any* of the ones he has on the first page, there. I'm not picky in the least whether it's a Geforce or a Radeon, either.

2900XT:
2900xt1gbml1.jpg

8800 Ultra:
ultragv3.jpg

In fact, I'll take 2 of each :D

Who is "Viper John", and how exactly did he get these cards?

He is the video card god....he got these cards and is modding them for a boutiqe builder.....I know who it is, but I don't now if I'm supposed to tell anyone :)

I have been sending my cards there for over 2 years, and he is now building me a complete system, so I talk to him daily....he really is one of the nicest guys you will ever speak too..any one here who has used him, and I know of few of you have, will say nothing but great things about his workmanship......Its amazing to say the least.....he spent many hours on the phone and counless emails to make sure I git what I wanted....

I have had 2 cards done by him, and he is working on my 3rd right now........the man is a god with these things.......cheap? not even close...good?....without a doubt , the best moder out there.

Here is my latest one....and hold your breath.....Its an Nvidia card :) .and I'm an ATI fan ......but for my budget , this card was a clear winner for me

7900vfiv1pp4.jpg

7900vfiv2oq3.jpg

7900vfiv3yi3.jpg

And here it is in my almost done rig..:) :)

plumbingiv1.jpg

The benchmarks don't look all that impressive for a water cooled system, esp if the image quality is lower than the 8 series. And 1GB of GDDR4 is probably going to make it cost as much as a GTX.

ViperJohn said:
Yep had em both from the same customer lol. I can say one thing and that is the 8800's do have
better IQ in the benchmarks. It is the 1900 IQ versus 7800/7900 IQ just flipped around this time.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
The cards were gettin' a bad rap for not being able to perform and that is just BS. The only card I have
modded and tested in my test rig that will beat the 2900 above is an 8800 Ultra I just finished and shipped.
You are talking a hell of a lot more bucks though too!

Viper

Thats reason I linked that article, because you will get real numbers there...good or bad, the man tells it like it is.....

If he has the proper tools, it's not hard to mod vid cards.

These 2900xt with DDR4 seems like a joke to me.

The Viper John post doesn't mean a whole lot. The 2900XT is already winning these benchmarks, but it's not translated into game performance.

What's going to be intresting about a 2900XTX 1GB of GDDR4 RAM is the price. Obviously, this card is meant to go against the 8800GTX, so it really can't go over the $500 mark, unless of course its consistently faster than a GTX which seems unlikely. At that price point, who is AMD supposed to make money I wonder? It's got to be pretty exspensive to make these.

Not to mention that they'll probably cherry pick the cores, which means these cards will be pretty rare.

I didnt see anyone claiming it would? Fact is, drivers will increase its performance, to what measure we dont know yet. All new cards get faster with newer drivers. The 8800's did as well. The 2900XT's may get more of a performance increase than the NV cards, we'll have to wait and see. But again, I didnt see anyone claiming anything of the sort that it would be a GTX killer.

If it isn't a GTX killer and it isn't significantly cheaper than the GTX, then it would have no advantage over the GTX and therefore wouldn't really be a worthwhile purchase. ATI needs a GTX killer and has needed one for the last 7 months.

Fanboyyyyyyyyyyy

So now I suppose to like defend my self? rofl... I had couple of nVidia cards. Yea i like ATI better so WHAT.

Funny thing is every one is arguing on what is better and what's not, but when the time comes I will laugh my ass of when DX10 games come out, and something tells me a GPU with more streaming processors will win the podium ;)

So now I suppose to like defend my self? rofl... I had couple of nVidia cards. Yea i like ATI better so WHAT.

Funny thing is every one is arguing on what is better and what's not, but when the time comes I will laugh my ass of when DX10 games come out, and something tells me a GPU with more streaming processors will win the podium ;)

If the Lost Planet and Call of Juarez DX10 demos are any indication, R600 is not doing so well in DX10 either.

They might be thinking of the future, but it's a BIG mistake to skip the present and the fact is, R600 is not balanced. Where it seems to have amazing shader power on paper, (which unfortunately for AMD/ATI, is not translated into gaming performance at all) it lacks multi-texture fillrate, which even shaders use to access or store textures. Not to mention the horrible performance when AA is applied. One would think that with such a huge amount of memory bandwith, the HD 2900 XT would provide "free AA", which was hinted by AMD/ATI in their presentations and was proven false, not only by official reviews, but also by people that bought the card.

Something is seriously wrong with this first iteration of R600 (which IMHO is related to how the workload is distributed by all its SPs) and if it requires a killer app to test its "true" power, then it's an even bigger failure, because no one buys a card thinking that it's a possibility it will run games that are not even out yet, better than anything else, while performance in current games is lackbuster.

Nothing wrong with having a preference for one or the other. Despite my constant bagging on ATI right now for the HD 2900XT, and this mythical HD 2900XTX creature, I like ATI just fine. I have two ATI cards at home and they get the job done. I've owned plenty of both and there are things about each companies drivers and products I like and plenty of things I don't. You can continue to hope your favorite company will do this or that, but the facts clearly point to the HD 2900XTX falling short of matching the 8800GTX.

It doesn't matter if those extra streaming processors are as efficient as a three legged squirrel.

You are clearly grasping at straws trying to justify your blind loyalty to ATI. Unless you are totally uninformed, you should realize that the number of streaming processors isn't relevant considering the architectural differences of each GPU. Especially considering that ATI and NVIDIA are tallying those streaming processors differently. Lets also not forget that Radeon's with more pipelines weren't necessarily faster than their Geforce counterparts. ATI has always taken a brute force clock speed approach to combat NVIDIA's very efficient architectures since the Geforce 6 series and Radeon X800 series came out. I suspect the same is true of streaming processors. If ATI's architecture isn't faster or more efficient in DX9, (which it obviously isn't) than I seriously doubt DX10 is the magic bullet that you hope it will be.

They might be thinking of the future, but it's a BIG mistake to skip the present and the fact is, R600 is not balanced.
Agreed on all points. I wouldn't say R600 is a failure, but there have been a cornucopia of mistakes that severely diminish the value of the card. The XT has some nice features, like full HDMI/HDCP support (subject, of course, to investigations proving otherwise -- let's not forget ATi's tattered past with HDCP) and the tesselator unit.

I don't see any revisions or new SKUs making any difference in terms of what R600 is and its inadequacies. AMD has the capability to solve a few problems and get clock speeds up to where they should be, but the XTX still won't be a GTX killer.

What we really need from AMD is something that can surpass the Ultra 90% of the time so that NVIDIA can be taken down a peg and come back to the land of reasonable prices (though I have no complaints about GTS/GTX pricing). The chances of this happening before the advent of G92 are infinitesimal, unfortunately.

He is the video card god....he got these cards and is modding them for a boutiqe builder.....I know who it is, but I don't now if I'm supposed to tell anyone :)

I have been sending my cards there for over 2 years, and he is now building me a complete system, so I talk to him daily....he really is one of the nicest guys you will ever speak too..any one here who has used him, and I know of few of you have, will say nothing but great things about his workmanship......Its amazing to say the least.....he spent many hours on the phone and counless emails to make sure I git what I wanted....

I have had 2 cards done by him, and he is working on my 3rd right now........the man is a god with these things.......cheap? not even close...good?....without a doubt , the best moder out there.

how much does he charge for 2 8800GTX? that some kickass mod.

Thats reason I linked that article, because you will get real numbers there...good or bad, the man tells it like it is.....

You quoted me and the quote I quoted for a response to my quote. (Hehehe say that 5 times fast :p)

Like I was saying, HE said the IQ was better on the 8 series card, and 3dmark doesn't mean all that much (Not to mention people have broken 100k in 2003 with 8 series SLI Ultra cards). Real gameplay is what people want, and the advantages in 3dmark don't go over to games, esp when AA is turned on higher.

If the AMD/ATI HD 2900XTX is better than the 8800Ultra, by 15% or more, I will buy two. I'd love to use the Intel X38 chipset instead of the 680i SLI, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

If the AMD/ATI HD 2900XTX is better than the 8800Ultra, by 15% or more, I will buy two. I'd love to use the Intel X38 chipset instead of the 680i SLI, but I seriously doubt that will be the case.

Are there any rumors/data out about DDR3 support for next-gen NForce boards? Yeah, I'd like to use the X38 as well, but no SLI of course.

Are there any rumors/data out about DDR3 support for next-gen NForce boards? Yeah, I'd like to use the X38 as well, but no SLI of course.

I haven't heard anything official about NVIDIA's next chipset at this point.

Well, things generally cost more here than in the US anyways. Product isnt priced in direct comparison to the exchange rate. The 8800GTX here is $649.99 CDN and up. (depending on manufacturer)
NCIX has a pre-order page up for a Diamond with 1GB at $600 CDN, which is $40 cheaper than the cheapest GTX (even after factoring MIR on the GTX).

EDIT: Oh, and I definately agree that direct comparison using just exchange rates, especially day-to-day ones after the US$ took such a sh!tkicking last week, is not a good idea at all.

Back