2900 GT not compatiable with Vista?

Comte

Gawd
I ran the Vista upgrade advisor and it says my ATI 2900 GT is not compatible with Vista at all.....Its a DX10 card. Sapphire says its compatiable. And when i tried to install it on a seperate drive to dual boot, I got a BSOD as it was trying to install. No useful info was on the BSOD, just general stuff to try. Right now I am attributing this to the video card.
So, any ideas?

That card was released after Vista was, so I very much doubt it.. there are Vista Catalyst drivers that should work with it, too.

Did you get any error codes out of your BSOD? They usually have something like 'STOP: 0x0000007'.

what drivers are you using? or did you not install em?

whenever i reinstall windows i get a 1.0 for my video card until i install the drivers, yer probably getting the same thing too.

as with your vista install.. if you run 4 GB of ram, take a stick out. for some reason my old asus board didnt allow vista to install w/ 4GB of ram + a sata dvd drive.. as weird as that is..

if you run 4 GB of ram, take a stick out. for some reason my old asus board didnt allow vista to install w/ 4GB of ram + a sata dvd drive.. as weird as that is..

Yeah, that's a known bug.. there's a hotfix, but of course you can't install the hotfix prior to installing, with a standard Vista CD anyway.

what drivers are you using? or did you not install em?

whenever i reinstall windows i get a 1.0 for my video card until i install the drivers, yer probably getting the same thing too.

as with your vista install.. if you run 4 GB of ram, take a stick out. for some reason my old asus board didnt allow vista to install w/ 4GB of ram + a sata dvd drive.. as weird as that is..

I never even get to a working desktop to install drivers. Its after the expanding files portion, the windows logo comes up with the moving bar, it goes around about six times, then I get the BSOD.

I only have 3 gb of ram. I will take out 1gb and see if that helps.

Here is what I get from Vista Upgrade Advisor.
Issue Type Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

ATI Radeon HD 2900 GT ATI Technologies Inc. This device will not work in Windows Vista. For more information, please go to the device manufacturer's website, Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Why not use XP? Its not like DX10 is something you'd want with a slow card like 2900HD - or with any card for that matter. Just as a sidenote, I could run Vista on a 2900HD fine. Although I originally installed it on integrated video and added the 2900HD afterwards. Of course I didn't keep Vista it sucked way too much.

Nevermind, I found my video card was failing this weekend. I have a Gigabyte 3870 on order.

Back