290 prices?

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone notice the price jumped 100$?

NewEgg has them listed at 499 now. I was about to buy one, have the payapl funds ready and everything.

NewEgg has them listed at 499 now. I was about to buy one, have the payapl funds ready and everything.

Yea, it's just NE raping everyone due to the demand for AMD cards..Classic example of how shitty their business practices have become.

Here's a fun fact, the 290x is still @ $599.

By the time this is all over the 290 will probably cost more than the 290x.

Well the R9 280x MSRP is $299 I believe and Newegg is selling the Gigabyte one for $419.99...and it will probably still sell out.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that's in Canadian :)

I hate that as I would love to add another for CX.. but not over MSRP.

you can thank demand. As long as mining grows and grows id expect amd cards to constantly sell out and go for way more than msrp.

Until AMD can meet the massive demand for their cards, don't expect to see much in the way of deals. :(

:-( i'm Sad

I have a 290 water block sitting here, and i was going to order a 290 today, but i'm not gonna pay 500$ for one. I consider buying one in the low 400 range. Guess I will have to wait till the AIB's come and hope one of them use the reference pcb with a different cooler, and buy one of those hopefully.

Amazon isnt much better people...its all about what the market can bear.

Its called supply and demand... thats why I went with a 780. Dont expect prices to go down with this mining craze going on.

no one is going to charge less than they can..

if you think otherwise, you need an econ class.

lol

Is this just on newegg? It might be related to the masterpass promo they are running.

You got it all wrong, we gotta boycott the Litecoins!

I bet the guy who already owns a $399 290 gets the warm fuzzies seeing their card shoot up to $500. :p

i got one at $399

i want it to be cheaper, so more people buy it, so mantle gets more adoption!!!

also, damn miners...

I'm not really sure why sellers putting their cards at any price they want is shady practice. I guess if you argue there is some sort of price fixing going on then that is a different story.

I'm not really sure why sellers putting their cards at any price they want is shady practice. I guess if you argue there is some sort of price fixing going on then that is a different story.

no, price fixing is when the manufactures collude..

you can charge whatever you like as a reseller, but if you cant sell them, you are stuck with expensive inventory you could have invested elsewhere.

if another reseller is cheaper, you have to price adjust.

one of the interesting things about free markets.

Basically, if you cant hold stock, you price higher. Someone will pay it, you get more money for that limited stock. If they dont, then it doesnt matter as youve already sold most of them, and will lower price to adjust.

Bitcoin values tanked 30% over the weekend, the miners will reign in and we should see some price drops this week.

The last two posts I have had on hardforum people have responded with definitions or explanations that I don't think I've asked for and I don't think I have disagreed with in any way either. Am I being unclear or is that jolly time of the year when we give definitions and explanations instead of gifts to others? :D

I apologize, a lot of people throw around "price fixing" and have no clue what they are talking about.

As a finance person, it drives me batty,

I have an ASUS 290 from newegg to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered on friday between the time when it was still on the search page showing out of stock, and when the price was raised. Was able to get it for $409, so I purchased as quickly as possible, only to get an email about 15 mins later from newegg telling me it was back in stock. Guess I got lucky.

I also was able to order two 7950's for $250 each after MIR right before they spiked up to $400 and now are listed as discontinued.

I have an ASUS 290 from newegg to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered on friday between the time when it was still on the search page showing out of stock, and when the price was raised. Was able to get it for $409, so I purchased as quickly as possible, only to get an email about 15 mins later from newegg telling me it was back in stock. Guess I got lucky.

I also was able to order two 7950's for $250 each after MIR right before they spiked up to $400 and now are listed as discontinued.

You may want to try your hand in the stock market at some point in time...

In other news, I'm surprised so many people are picking up reference 290s after reading the reviews on them. Maybe you guys are watercooling them, I'm not sure, but the reference fans just seem to be getting worse. I have a 7970 reference from January of 2012, and even now I kind of wish I had waited for a non reference. It just gets loud when the juice is really going, especially since I don't like my cards getting over 80C.

Not saying it's a bad card, and maybe people are exaggerating the fan issues (I know some people are insanely sensitive to noise), but it's hard for me to mine on my 7970 and fall asleep with a reference fan at 55%, which still only keeps it at 77C or so

I have been browsing the sites for some cheap 290s. There is no such thing. Anyone not mining should look towards nVidia and maybe get a discounted GTX 780 for 450 bucks or something.

You may want to try your hand in the stock market at some point in time...

In other news, I'm surprised so many people are picking up reference 290s after reading the reviews on them. Maybe you guys are watercooling them, I'm not sure, but the reference fans just seem to be getting worse. I have a 7970 reference from January of 2012, and even now I kind of wish I had waited for a non reference. It just gets loud when the juice is really going, especially since I don't like my cards getting over 80C.

Not saying it's a bad card, and maybe people are exaggerating the fan issues (I know some people are insanely sensitive to noise), but it's hard for me to mine on my 7970 and fall asleep with a reference fan at 55%, which still only keeps it at 77C or so

I'm putting my 290 on water.. if I wasn't I would have waited for another month or two

yes, i got that asus for 399 + battlefield 4, i was going to buy 4 more when i saw that price :eek:

$399? Pfft I got two for $379 apiece!:D

Well aren't you mr fancy pants. Jokes aside you should sell me one :-P

You were lucky! I sold one of my 7950's in a matter of minutes for 300$ the same price i paid for it new. I have another buyer lined up for the 2nd 7950 I have.

I have been browsing the sites for some cheap 290s. There is no such thing. Anyone not mining should look towards nVidia and maybe get a discounted GTX 780 for 450 bucks or something.

I am seriously thinking about buying a 780 now. I would have to take a 20% restocking fee from Frozen Cpu for my 290 water block, and order the 780 water block instead. Still debating it, I'd really like a 290 though. They are faster then the 780s, esp under water.

I did find a R9 290 for 430$, but they were out of stock, with more coming. I'll give it a few days.

Glad I picked up my XFX R9 290 last week for $400 before it went out of stock! Got it last night and love it... other than the fact that I haven't been able to claim my free Battlefield 4 yet. However I did boot up BF3 on Ultra 1920x1080 and wow! Much better than my old unlocked 6950.

Honestly I don't find the fan that much louder than my 6950. It was running between 40-60% last night and it didn't bother me. I cranked it to 100% just to see what it sounded like... holy shit... no way I could game like that.

I got ballsy last night and decided I would flip the BIOS switch and try to flash the 290x rom onto it to open up the locked shaders... low and behold it worked! So essentially I have a 290x now for $400. :) This is one reason I love AMD cards... I did the same thing with my old 6950 and flashed it to a 6970.

Back