290 Crossfire Stutter / Choppiness with vsync turned on

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
If I have v-sync turned on and crossfire enabled I get really bad choppiness, nothing I do seems to fix it. I'm on 2.0 Crossfire 8x, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I used to have the issue with my 6950s and 7870s, but logging off and signing back on before playing the affected games would fix the issue. But now that doesn't work.

Any suggestions? I'm using the 14.3 V1.0 Beta drivers.

If I have v-sync turned on and crossfire enabled I get really bad choppiness, nothing I do seems to fix it. I'm on 2.0 Crossfire 8x, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I used to have the issue with my 6950s and 7870s, but logging off and signing back on before playing the affected games would fix the issue. But now that doesn't work.

Any suggestions? I'm using the 14.3 V1.0 Beta drivers.

Sorry, no suggestion.

I have the same issue. Basicaly, with sync, you get stutter. You turn it off , you get buttery smooth frame rates but tearing. :confused:

The only one that doesn't do this for me is the 13.11 whql from guru3d

To me, crossfire or Sli, both need MSI afterburner to work properly--for GPU sync? (something like afterburner, but it's 64 bit beta is very slick)

Then there's the issue of GPU boost. I use a modified bios that disables it so when my cards are under full load, they engage maximum clocks and don't deviate. I think there's a function on AMD cards as well no?

I don't really understand what you're stating for the first part.

I have my fan limit at 100%, and it definitely doesn't reach 100% when gaming, so I hope it isn't being downclocked, but maybe I'll have to monitor it.

Some reason you aren't trying the latest drivers (14.4 whql)? They have vsync stutter fixes.

Does WHQL mean something special? Cause I'm on 14.4 and the last game I tried still had issues. In fact this introduced a new issue where my second monitor won't show video, the monitor acts as if it has received a video source for a split second (led's on buttons turn on) but then back to no display, over and over again...

One problem at a time though I suppose.

huh, maybe arkam origins had issues with vsync, two games I tried seemed to work fine. Time to tackle the other issue though.

edit: turns out to be an adapter issue.

Last edited:
WHQL just means they have passed Windows (MS) certification. I don't know what or if anything was changed between 14.4 and 14.4WHQL. You didn't mention you tried 14.4's in any posts though. That's why I asked.

The Batman series have had many issues on AMD.

Last edited:
I ave two 290's in my Z68 motherboard at pci-e 2.0 8x each (sandybridge limited)

with vsync in some games I enabled it, I do not notice stuttering...

I'm on 14.4's

Back