http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125490

ASUS $359 (sold out)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121803

Powercolor $359
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131533

XFX $369
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150690

Here's the full 280x listing if you want to search for more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...BESTMATCH&Description=R9+280x&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I bit on the Tri-X despite there being zero reviews of it.
Hopefully Sapphire carried their success from the 290/290x over.

Many of the 270 & 270x are also on sale.

Last edited:
It's funny how even the 7 series were $125-200 prior and now people are asking $300 for a 7970.

And they said technology would drive older generation models down. :rolleyes:

It's funny how even the 7 series were $125-200 prior and now people are asking $300 for a 7970.

That's what happens when mainstream idiots trying to make a quick buck jump into a tech bandwagon. Even my tech-illiterate 60yo dad got sucked into the bitcoin craze because suddenly there was money to be made from this "nerd shit".

I just bought an xfx 280x with bit coin I made from mining for 449...

Oh boy, MSRP prices. [H]ot. :rolleyes:

Goddamn miners.

At least there's a noticeable trend now of decreasing prices that slowly coming back down to MSRP from their miner inflated peaks. Its a good sign I think and hopefully it continues.

It does. Perhaps you should talk to AMD and Nvidia about their rebadging schemes.

7970 was never near $200 I dont believe...7950 could be had at the very best deals for some $180. R280X which is basically 7970 debuted at a MSRP of $299 pre-scryptcoin mania. So that tells you 7970 may have been a little less than 299 but not too much.

It was near $200. I missed a deal in Oct. for a Sapphire 7970 GHz Edition for that price and the following month my friend bought the XFX 7970 DD for $220 but neglected to mention the deal to me. Right after that was when cryptocurrency mining took off.

I totally do (still) kick myself for not jumping on the 7950s when they were $200 or less couple months ago.

The ratings from the buyers are horrible on the Gigabyte and Asus versions. Not a good sign.

The ratings from the buyers are horrible on the Gigabyte and Asus versions. Not a good sign.
Not sure about GB, but ASUS has their mem OC too high. It's at 1600 I think, all the other cards are 1500.
I went through two of them with artifacting, and rather than tweak the OC I chose to just return them.

Somebody at ASUS needs to learn how to OC. It's too much.

Fucking Gamers.

Stop buying up cards that could be used for mining.

Fucking worthless gamers. :p

Fucking Gamers.

Stop buying up cards that could be used for mining.

Fucking worthless gamers. :p

Lol

I have a few cards on backorder. Considering canceling those for these, since those are at least two weeks out.

I may not buy any more cards though. The difficulty is climbing quick (50% in past two weeks) and the Gridseed seems to be a better deal for long term use if you get it for a good deal.

You can definitely see that the new shipments hit beginning of March.

Last edited:
Does this mean AMD is making more cards? I notice on amazon they now list most cards shipping 1-2 days instead of 1-2 weeks.

i hear those gridseed things have issues also best price i have found was 249.99 at 350kh/s @ 60w no power adapter just the 5 chip orb unit a nvidia ti 750 does 350+kh/s @ 60w it costs 150$ i see mining going green until the next gen asic that has better stats.

The Gridseed unit consumes 6-10w of power to produce 350khs.

^^ I see.

Who in their right mind would go dual mode on that thing and give up the only real edge it has - power / watt superiority for a relatively minuscule amount of ghs?

Does this mean AMD is making more cards? I notice on amazon they now list most cards shipping 1-2 days instead of 1-2 weeks.

More likely demand is down due to difficulty increasing, value and profitability down, major events like Mt Gox shutdown and availability of alternative mining gear like Gridseed. To tackle increasing difficulty and maintain profitability require throwing more compute power at it while dealing with space, heat output, cooling, electrical availability and consumption cost issues. Hardware like Gridseed which does 300-400 Khash scrypt/sec each at 8W will likely kill further demand for mining GPUs especially when it becomes more price competitive.

http://hashra.com/gridseed-6-mh-s-scrypt-sha-miner-including-psu-accessories/

Last edited:
It does. Perhaps you should talk to AMD and Nvidia about their rebadging schemes.

One could do that but then you'll end up being that suit at the end of the table that ends up getting fired for making a stupid business suggestion :p. Business 101 these days :).

More likely demand is down due to difficulty increasing, value and profitability down, major events like Mt Gox shutdown and availability of alternative mining gear like Gridseed. To tackle increasing difficulty and maintain profitability require throwing more compute power at it while dealing with space, heat output, cooling, electrical availability and consumption cost issues. Hardware like Gridseed which does 300-400 Khash scrypt/sec each at 8W will likely kill further demand for mining GPUs especially when it becomes more price competitive.

http://hashra.com/gridseed-6-mh-s-scrypt-sha-miner-including-psu-accessories/

I did a calculation on a rig with 6x 280x's and 10pack of gridseed. The Gridseed cost about $200 more price wise,

6x 280x = $2400 ish
Gridseed 10pack w/controller = $2600 ish

Power over 1 month:
280x = 1600w (AC = @ .10/kwh = $115.20
Grid = 100w (AC) = @ .10/kwh = $7.20

I'd say they're price comparable. Especially with the reduced heating costs and the less power requirements (don't need to do massive upgrades to power). What sucks is the rise in difficulty. It's due another 9% shortly, putting us around 5200. At this point, the major capital players are going to take over like they did with Bitcoin.

I did a calculation on a rig with 6x 280x's and 10pack of gridseed. The Gridseed cost about $200 more price wise,

6x 280x = $2400 ish
Gridseed 10pack w/controller = $2600 ish

Power over 1 month:
280x = 1600w (AC = @ .10/kwh = $115.20
Grid = 100w (AC) = @ .10/kwh = $7.20

I'd say they're price comparable. Especially with the reduced heating costs and the less power requirements (don't need to do massive upgrades to power). What sucks is the rise in difficulty. It's due another 9% shortly, putting us around 5200. At this point, the major capital players are going to take over like they did with Bitcoin.

problem is the hash rate you get for that 10 pack, is half of what you get with six 280x's

It just goes to show how this thing has been running entirely on hopes and dreams.

A month or so ago it was "ASICS won't be available until Q4"

I guess the worst thing is these cards are basically shot after you guys are done with them. Hopefully you're all honest about what they were used for after mining profitability with them drops off.

It's likely big shipments are coming along with the R9 280 (non-x) cards, timing seems about right.

I got my boost 7950 for about $240 but it came with four games I wanted, so I figure it's more like $200 considering the games were new (Tomb Raider, & Bioshock, etc.)

I had planned to have another 7950 by now for around $200 with even more games thrown in... not only can I not get a 7950, it's equivelant is $300! Crazy!

I got my boost 7950 for about $240 but it came with four games I wanted, so I figure it's more like $200 considering the games were new (Tomb Raider, & Bioshock, etc.)

I had planned to have another 7950 by now for around $200 with even more games thrown in... not only can I not get a 7950, it's equivelant is $300! Crazy!

Isn't the 280X equivalent to the 7970?

im still kicking myself for selling off a 7970 for ~200 before the GPU craze hit.

oh well -- my bank of five 270's makes up for it :-p

problem is the hash rate you get for that 10 pack, is half of what you get with six 280x's

I did that part, forgot to add it to the post.

6x 280X = 750*6 = 4500
10x Gridseed = 3500
-- The gridseed if OC'd, can produce around 4000.

Cost per hashrate is in favor of the cards right now. The benefit of the Gridseed is the low power, your profitability calender (comparison of how long until power becomes more expensive) is extended with the Gridseed. If you have cheap power, it's a non-issue.

It just goes to show how this thing has been running entirely on hopes and dreams.

A month or so ago it was "ASICS won't be available until Q4"

I guess the worst thing is these cards are basically shot after you guys are done with them. Hopefully you're all honest about what they were used for after mining profitability with them drops off.

Hopes and dreams? You are aware that is how every financial derivative/product works, right? It's based on hopes and dreams (and the subset, greed and fear). My comparison was to Litecoin, not to some of the other alt coins which will likely gain traction now. There's already new algorithms out that are to counter the Gridseed.

Keep in mind, the Gridseed isn't a true ASIC as we would expect it. It's 5 very low power processor chips coupled together. The GPU mine killing Bitcoin-style ASIC's are still quite a ways out (Q4ish). Those style chips are the ones capable of increasing hashrate 10 fold as they come online. The issue is, as they scale, they need to incorporate faster RAM to get better hashrates.

I think the next Gridseed will likely just be 10 chips on one PCB as they ramp production.

It's quite possible that the hashrate for LC will decrease soon. During Mt. Gox, you could literally watch the scrypt network hashrate bounce around coins. Since LTC wasn't worth a whole lot, people moved to DOGE and LTC difficulty went from 4000 to 2500. Once DOGE was halved, they jumped to another one. Now that the BTC is growing (and LTC with it), they're back on LTC. The key to successfully turning a profit is to be very skillful in which coins to mine.

Last edited:
It was near $200. I missed a deal in Oct. for a Sapphire 7970 GHz Edition for that price and the following month my friend bought the XFX 7970 DD for $220 but neglected to mention the deal to me. Right after that was when cryptocurrency mining took off.

They had a really good deal in Nov for a Sapphire 7970 ghz ed that was $220AR and came with the AMD gold reward (which I eventually sold for $30.) I ended up deciding to trade it for a lesser card, if I waited a couple of weeks I could have probably sold it for $400 when things took off lol. Kinda wish I still had it...

Back