2700k One core lower temp?

Well I have just started some oc'ing on my 2700k. Starting off mild @ 4ghz

Running IBT I noticed that one core is a few degrees cooler than the rest. Is this normal? I am running a Corsair H80 on an MSI Z68A-GD65 board

coretemps.jpg

Yes, it's normal. The sensors definitely aren't perfect, and there's never really the 'exact' same load on each core. Generally won't have exactly the same contact/thickness/distance/whatever between cores and the IHS either (which you can't really do much about without 'extreme' and dangerous measures like delid or reflow), and again between the IHS and heatsink base (which you can improve upon by remounting or another 'somewhat extreme' solution- lapping).

Your's looks just fine though. Some guys see bigger differences even after remounting several times, changing TIM, etc.

One core is always off 5-6C on my 2600k. Pretty much normal.

Nothing abnormal there. How high are you trying to go with it? A 2700k should be able to pull off about 5.0 or at least upper 4.0's. Watch IBT though. It will get it hot.

I dunno, I may try for 4.5 but I dont see the need. I had to up the voltage to 1.29 for 4ghz it will do 3.9 on auto.

iirc, mine would do the 4.2 turbo just fine. I think 4.5 and above I had to start messing with voltages. Settled on 4.7 at under 1.4 on the voltage. I may roll it back a tad (especially for summer - 25 room temp max core is at 81 in IBT) as I doubt I will notice any difference in anything other than benches.

Hi guys,

I am new here and let me say first that reading a lot of info in HardForum has given me the courage to try out OC. Thanks for all you guys effort in here. Anyway I did not know if I posted this right or not but since this is about the 2700K I thought I put my question here. I am using an Asus P8Z68-V LX mobo with i7 2700K. I was wondering when u start out this OC do u actually turn on the mobo's TPC or do u not use it? Thanks for the help.

Ray

It's not unusual to see one or two cores with lower or higher temperatures. However, it's not always the sensor. Sometimes your heat sink is putting more pressure on one side of the cpu than the other side. I had always thought that one of my cores just ran cooler than the other 3 or that the sensor was off, but when I switched to water cooling which meant a new cpu block, the differences between my cores changed drastically. Now a completely different core runs a few degrees lower than the others.

Back