• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

2700k - most PPD?

steelman2202

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
349
Hey,

so I have this 2700k along with a 8 gigs of ram here. I'm currently pushing it to see how quick it is. Wondering what would be the best way to fold on it? (linux on a vm? linux on a hard drive? windows?) I need windows on the machine, but I don't use it much during the week so ubuntu on a secondary drive is an option.

Thanks!
 
I ran a dual boot config on my 2700K, windows 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 10.10 desktop. If you plan on spending most of your time in Windows, another good option is to install Linux on a virtual machine using an application called "Virtual Box." https://www.virtualbox.org/

Have you overclocked the cpu and if so, what GHz are you running at?
 
your max points will happen in a native linux install, so if that is viable go for it, but if your in windows, your better off using virtual box like mentioned above with a linux install there.
 
I was getting 30-35k on my 2600k at 4.7. This was running VMWare Player 3, Ubuntu 11, and v6 of f@h
 
your max points will happen in a native linux install
As others have reported here, I also saw better performance with an overclocked 2600K (4.7GHz) in native Linux versus a VM. Linux is Ubuntu 10.10 and the VM was VirtualBox. If I recall correctly, Ubuntu produces a little better than 5% more than VB did. It may have been more than that.
 
Back
Top