27" ViewSonic Geeks.com FS $184.99

Wouldn't a refurb be as good as a new one except for the warranty difference?

Wouldn't a refurb be as good as a new one except for the warranty difference?
You would lucky if you could get 25% of the people in this forum to agree with that statement. To most, new = new. ;)

Personally I think of refurbs as a middle ground between new and used, and a great way for me to save some cash.

Personally I think of refurbs as a middle ground between new and used, and a great way for me to save some cash.

I generally think less of refurbs (as compared to used). With a used item, you really don't know if it's a good/poor model. With refurbs, you know the product has failed. If there are enough refurb items to gather up and put on sale, it must be a terrible quality product.

That said, I do purchase refurb products from time to time. (And hope it was a defective customer rather than a defective item that caused the original return) :)

this one isn't bad neither for $5 more (still free shipping)

bigger by 1" and it's 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080

Considering CostCo was selling a 27" Samsung for $199 a few days before Thanksgiving (granted non-LED lit model) I would consider a refurb for this price to be minor warm at best. Of course the Samsung, which I was willing to buy, threw me for a loop when compared with the LED lit model next to it as the whites just were not very white on the 27" screen.

With refurbs, you know the product has failed. If there are enough refurb items to gather up and put on sale, it must be a terrible quality product.

Majority are probably id10t errors.. I've worked for 3 cell phone carriers & 2 Major PC peripheral manu's.. With all of them the majority of items received back for testing were fine.

Majority are probably id10t errors.. I've worked for 3 cell phone carriers & 2 Major PC peripheral manu's.. With all of them the majority of items received back for testing were fine.

with monitors Im always hesitant as I assume a big reason many people would send them back would be over a dead pixel or two. There are several companies who view a couple dead pixels as acceptable and have no problem sending those monitors out with refurb tag on them.

As long as you avoid certain types of products when buying refurbs/recerts (hard drives for example, lol) and certain brands (Westinghouse, Sceptre, or any cheap brand of any product for the most part) you can do well if you are careful and jump on an extremely hot deal like a beast. Look at my sig display. I got it for 50% off (1k vs 2k, that's a reasonable discount) a few years ago because I bought it refurb, but it came in original box, with original plastics wraps, manuals, remote still sealed with new batteries and everything, only had a tag on it stating the date and company that recertified it. Still works just dandy, 11,000~ usage hours and counting... :D

edit: and it is my experience that most places will simply not accept a monitor for a return unless it has X number of dead pixels, usually way more than is likely. I personally have yet to receive a monitor/HDTV for my personal use that has ANY dead or stuck pixels, but I have certainly been extremely lucky (11 LCD displays for personal/family use since 2003 and counting)

I was tempted by this deal too, but reading the fine print scared me: apparently Geeks.com allows up to 8 "defects" in their refurbished monitors:

"Disclosure:
LCD displays may have cosmetic imperfections that appear as small bright or dark spots. This is common to all LCD displays used in products by all vendors and is not specific to any vendor or brand. Below are the acceptable amounts of "dot defects" for LCD displays that we sell:
25-Inch to 30-Inch
Total Defects: 8
Bright or Dark Dots (random): 4
Bright or Dark Dots (2 adjacent): 2
Bright or Dark Dots (3 adjacent): 0
Minimum distance between defects: 15 mm (bright to bright dots)
Minimum distance between defects: 5 mm (dark to dark dots)"

But then again, they've got an 8.32/10 resellerratings score ... so I'm not sure what to think.

Last edited:
with monitors Im always hesitant as I assume a big reason many people would send them back would be over a dead pixel or two. There are several companies who view a couple dead pixels as acceptable and have no problem sending those monitors out with refurb tag on them.

Most people don't know what a dead pixel is, let alone notice them.

The only LCD I have ever bought that had a dead pixel is the Hanns G 28" that I have had for the last 3 years now. The massage method unstuck it & havent had a problem since. & This one I bought used.

Added the link, sorry, I had it pasted into the box, then must of recut it to paste onto a buddy's facebook wall, and clicked submit here. That was some hardcore fail on my part.

Back