27" iMac opinions?

Maybe on the TV ads but I don't pick up much of a complex in the stores or the website.

Yeah, more like on TV I guess.

Either way - hope you get this sorted out and stuff! :D

Well, I did. The verdict: a power spike caused some power management system in the EFI (translation for PC-types like me: Mac BIOS) to go into some error / protection state. It has to be reset by holding down the power button in some unusual combination. The spikes themselves are even recorded to the console. Very impressive.

So what I learned was,

1. Don't quite treat Intel-based Macs as PCs running a different operating system. The EFI makes things different. I'd never worry about resetting a power management system on a PC, I'd just reset the BIOS and if I still didn't get a POST I'd assume I got a hardware issue.

2. Apple store got the job done.

3. Shame on the Applecare phone support for taking 3 days of my time, including numerous calls each day, and not giving me a simple "hold down the power button like yea" to fix this.

4. Apple store tech doing the "EFI Hardware Diagnostic" gives one ample time to go holiday shopping for significant others.

Well, I did. The verdict: a power spike caused some power management system in the EFI (translation for PC-types like me: Mac BIOS) to go into some error / protection state. It has to be reset by holding down the power button in some unusual combination. The spikes themselves are even recorded to the console. Very impressive.

So what I learned was,

1. Don't quite treat Intel-based Macs as PCs running a different operating system. The EFI makes things different. I'd never worry about resetting a power management system on a PC, I'd just reset the BIOS and if I still didn't get a POST I'd assume I got a hardware issue.

2. Apple store got the job done.

3. Shame on the Applecare phone support for taking 3 days of my time, including numerous calls each day, and not giving me a simple "hold down the power button like yea" to fix this.

4. Apple store tech doing the "EFI Hardware Diagnostic" gives one ample time to go holiday shopping for significant others.

Well, let's hope there are no more problems with your iMac. :D

I got my new i7 24" iMac two days ago, running my 24" NEC 2490WUXi as the secondary display. While my old 24" iMac and the NEC were dead ringers for each other, the 27" is in a completely different ball park. Pixel pitch is one obvious difference (windows are now completely different sizes when I drag them from one screen to the other), but color and contrast are the main things I'm more surprised by. This thing looks spectacular. I'll need to get a Spyder to get them to match though, the 27" renders colors considerably cooler than the NEC or the 24" iMac.

That the NEC costs $1200, Dell's comparable 30" costs $1700, and the 27" iMac starts at $1700, is crazy.

So yeah, I'm super happy with it. The bIggest surprise is that I actually like the Magic Mouse. Apple mice always suck but after a day I decided to try the MM out because I had it and why not. After an hour I ended up unplugging my seven button Steelseries mouse and using the MM full time. The deal breaker is that there is third party software you can use to assign other multitouch functions to it, three finger and four finger included. This means that you can program Expose and Spaces back into it no problem. Losing Expose and Spaces functions were the biggest reasons for me not to use the MM, but I'll take hacks like this.

http://blog.boastr.net/

I got my new i7 24" iMac two days ago, running my 24" NEC 2490WUXi as the secondary display. While my old 24" iMac and the NEC were dead ringers for each other, the 27" is in a completely different ball park. Pixel pitch is one obvious difference (windows are now completely different sizes when I drag them from one screen to the other), but color and contrast are the main things I'm more surprised by. This thing looks spectacular. I'll need to get a Spyder to get them to match though, the 27" renders colors considerably cooler than the NEC or the 24" iMac.

That the NEC costs $1200, Dell's comparable 30" costs $1700, and the 27" iMac starts at $1700, is crazy.

So yeah, I'm super happy with it. The bIggest surprise is that I actually like the Magic Mouse. Apple mice always suck but after a day I decided to try the MM out because I had it and why not. After an hour I ended up unplugging my seven button Steelseries mouse and using the MM full time. The deal breaker is that there is third party software you can use to assign other multitouch functions to it, three finger and four finger included. This means that you can program Expose and Spaces back into it no problem. Losing Expose and Spaces functions were the biggest reasons for me not to use the MM, but I'll take hacks like this.

Yeah the 2560x1440 panel does add a lot of value to this iMac..

Value, Apple - a 1st for me. :p

That's funny because I am interested in the Imac and the Nec 2490.
I have MBP and either I am going to get a monitor for it, since my 20" CRT is failing, or a new IMac. I am afraid of the Imac since it's a glossy screen and I do wedding photography and need to get accurate prints.
So what is your opinion of the screen for doing photo editing?
The other question is is the nec 2490wuxi a very good monitor. Why don't you have a wide gamut like everyone is telling me to get.
I only need to work in sRGB color space because that's what my two labs use.

So what are your thoughts?

Back