27.5 inch hanns worth it?

namerodl

Weaksauce
Currently, I have a 22 inch acer.

I am looking for a monitor to get more visual space. I'm not looking for some top-of-the-line kind of monitor.

This is what I usually do on my computer:
1) browse websites
2) code
3) movies/videos
4) games

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026
Is this 27.5 best bang for its buck in terms of screen size bigger than 25 inches? I've read a lot of the newegg reviews and it seems like the quality of that monitor is pretty bad.

Anyone actually have this monitor and want to give some more info on it?

I had it for a little while. The backlight bleed on mine was so bad I couldn't take it anymore...especially for movies.

In full color settings like a desktop environment, I never had a problem with it. Games were ok for the most part. Seemed like a pretty fast panel (no specs off the top of my head).

I traded my father for his old 22" Chimei and let him have the Hanns-G. He's happy. I don't really consider myself a snob when it comes to monitors (other than with dead pixels), but that was pretty bad. Obviously others have had good experiences though.

I might try it again and see if I got a better one the next time around.

Well my older LCD is a Acer 22' 2yrs old. Not sure the Model. cost 250$ the hans G is much better, mostly viewing angle's. Oh and as far as backlight bleeding I hardly see ANY.

Well my older LCD is a Acer 22' 2yrs old. Not sure the Model. cost 250$ the hans G is much better, mostly viewing angle's. Oh and as far as backlight bleeding I hardly see ANY.

It would be a good monitor if the backlight bleed wasn't excessive. I would have kept it if mine were like jediknight's.

:/

Any other opinions? The only TN monitor I've had was a Samsung 226BW and really it wasn't that bad. If this HannsG is similar it'll definitely be 'good enough'. I'm mainly interested int his over 24" because in addition to the size it will have a lower dpi. There really isn't many alternatives.

Any other opinions? The only TN monitor I've had was a Samsung 226BW and really it wasn't that bad. If this HannsG is similar it'll definitely be 'good enough'. I'm mainly interested int his over 24" because in addition to the size it will have a lower dpi. There really isn't many alternatives.

It's a gamble. I was disappointed, and I don't consider myself a monitor snob by any means. This is really the only reasonably priced monitor in this size. So you gamble if you want it, or just go with the 24".

Just ran across your post in a search. I replaced a Samsung 225BW with the Hanns.G 28", and it looks noticeably better to me than then Samsung. Better contrast, viewing angles, response time, and of course size. I used Dead Pixel Buddy to check for defects, and found no dead/stuck pixels, and the color was uniform across the screen (no backlight bleeding issues for me, whereas it was noticeable on the Samsung). I received a unit with a March 09 manufacturing date, and it has a newer menu interface compared to ones I've seen in older reviews, so maybe Hanns improved the monitor.

I highly recommend it. I was originally running a Dell 1905FP (PVA), and then upgraded to the Samsung 225BW, and now this. Considering that I paid the same price for all three, this is a pretty amazing advancement in technology IMO.

Here's photos of my Samsung compared to the Hanns.G. You can see that the picture on the Samsung looks dull compared to the Hanns.G.

Anyway, Costco.com has $50 off the Hanns.G starting May 11, you could always buy from there and check it out, and return it if you don't like it. For the money though, I can't imagine not being happy with it unless you're a really picky user.

i have the Hanns·G HG-281DJB Black 28 i believe the only difference with the one you posted to this one is the height adjustment. IMO i absolutely love this monitor i originally had a Acer 24" AL2423 and a Sammy 22" forgot the model, it's by far the best bang for it's buck..

LOL, that's a given right? Can't imagine anyone being happy with any kind of defective product. :p

Well, as I noted earlier, technically mine wasn't defective. It just wasn't a very good monitor for a lot of reasons. I would say that bad one is one step above defective ;).

I have the I-Inc version of this monitor (same company, same monitor, different brand name), and I am quite happy with it. Don't get it from Newegg due to their horrid dead pixel policy. Tigerdirect lets you return it for any reason within 30 days if you don't like it and pays the shipping to send it back.

I say this since my first one had a single pixel that was either white or pink. My second one was fine though and I've had it for about 5 months. Make sure to use the HDMI since VGA quality is horrible on this monitor. VGA had noticeable flicker that hurt my eyes to look at.

"Anyway, Costco.com has $50 off the Hanns.G starting May 11, you could always buy from there and check it out, and return it if you don't like it. For the money though, I can't imagine not being happy with it unless you're a really picky user."

Awesome dude you're a ton of help. I just realized Costco sells this thing so I'll definitely buy it from them to be safe.. plus NewEgg return policy is a joke w/LCDs.

I was going to order it tomorrow when I get paid but what is this $50 off? I can't find this anywhere. I see $349 + $19 shipping?

I mean like is it in a coupon book they send out or something? I think I've always thrown that crap out. I'll wait till then though since I have no need for it at this very second.

I mean like is it in a coupon book they send out or something? I think I've always thrown that crap out. I'll wait till then though since I have no need for it at this very second.
It was in a coupon book but it's only available online so you don't need the coupon book. Here is the scan of the coupon:

2rfvl2g.jpg

really been debating picking this up ... think the costco coupon deal will do it for me thanks!

Awesome. With Costco's return policy, there's no reason to wait if you're thinking about pulling the trigger on this.

Th only problem I have with it is the viewing angle from top to bottom. Now I hear that with any large monitor this will be a factor. In darker games, I notice the blacks at the very bottom changing almost purple and the top lighter, but I guess that is what I get for liking my games "dark." When the contrast is changed and the brightness turned up, the problem dissipates. Again, I only notice this in dark games really...

All in all it is one hell of a deal. I bought mine from Costco online as well. I forgot to do my review/comparison for it. If I have time I will do it.

Games look fantastic! High definition movies and blu-ray look phenomenal as well!

Well I got mine in yesterday. Definitely not a bad deal. It was WAAAAAY too bright out of the box. Everything was too washed out and my eyes were burning. Default brightness is 100/100. I turned it down to 50/100 and it looked much better. Colors were WAY better. I then turned brightness down to 10/100 and right away it looked too dark but after a minute I actually was fine with it. This was like 3am and it was very dark so that probably affected my judgment. My GF came in the room and said the monitor was too dark so I raised it to 20/100 and then I got her okay. Its now like noon and sun is coming in the room and monitor looks fine still. 20/100=winnar.

So anyways in the room right now I have a 24" Dell, 37" Westinghouse, 22" Samsung 226BW, and 27" HannsG. When viewed straight on I'd rate them:
Dell>HannsG/Westinghouse>Samsung.

I'd actually say HannG>Westinghouse but since its so close its probably more about which is configured better. Westinghouse isn't known to have the greatest picture so nothing special really.

Oh yeah BTW, Speakers = JOKE. No one could say the speakers are anything but trash. 90 year old lady with hearing loss would complain these speakers sounded poor. Don't even bother trying them before buying additional speakers (if you don't have any) as it'd only be a waste of your time.

Out of the box the viewing angles were horribly bad, unusable even. Straight on colors were washed out but from the sides it was just total crap. Eg no way could you have a few people watch a movie or tvshow or something on this. After I turned down the brightness not only did picture straight on improve greatly, but from the side it became usable. It'd obviously isn't good but I could imagine a few people watching a movie on it. So 'good enough'.

As for screensize/resolution/DPI I think its a pretty good compromise.
1920x1080@37"=59dpi
[email protected]"=82dpi
1680x1050@22"=90dpi
1920x1200@24"=94dpi

37"@59dpi is too big for regular use and too low dpi. 22"@1680x1050 is just too small a screen at too low a resolution. As for 1920x1200 at 24 or 27.5", I like higher DPI when programming but for regular usage I can definitely handle the lower DPI. Plus then the big advantage is when watching a movie or playing a game the screen is just bigger.

I'm actually giving this monitor to my parents so I think they'll prefer the slightly lower DPI with their aging eyes.

Anyways I'll take a couple pics if anyone wants. Overal tho $299 is definitely a good deal for this monitor.

Hey, when you're playing games do the colors at the top of the monitor wash out? Particularly blacks going purple or so.

I've got a 24" HP TN screen and it's a problem I just can't stand.

I'm looking to get a 24" IPS monitor but am not going to pay $500+ for one as I'd rather pay $1000 for a 30".

There is a 22" e-ips from Dell that goes for around $200. If there was a 24" option like that around $300-400 I'd pick it up but can't seem to find one.

But the size of this screen has always interested me. It's not the same as having a 30" 2560x screen but for movies it will be and it'll be similar overall imo as long as the washing out of the colors isn't too bad.

I just picked up the Hanns. I must say, I'm a little disappointed with the colors. Anyone have any tips for adjustments? Turning the brightness to 50 helps a bit, and the colors look better, but I wanna get this as nice as I can. My 22" Gateway eats this monitor as far as color richness goes. Sorta upset over that. :/

I turned down my brightness to 20%, leaving everything else at default (70% contrast, Nature setting, x-contrast off), and am pretty happy with it. Looks better than my 22" Samsung and not too far off from my Dell 1905FP. What are the settings on your Gateway?

I left them all factory on my Gateway HD2201. It's been absolutely perfect. I turned down the brightness to 50% on the Hanns, 30% was the lowest my eyes would handle, and I really like a bright white, so 40-50% works good for me. Anything above that starts distorting other colors.

Most reviewers agree that the factory settings on the Hanns.G are crap, so I guess you just have to play with them until you find one that you like. Maybe you'd like the x-contrast feature, I didn't but then again I don't like my screen as bright as you from what it sounds like. Good luck! You could always take it back to Costco if you truly aren't happy with it.

"I must say, I'm a little disappointed with the colors. Anyone have any tips for adjustments? Turning the brightness to 50 helps a bit, and the colors look better"

At 50 brightness I'd agree the colors are poor. I didn't really see any way to fix it other than lowering brightness more. At 20 brightness IMO colors are fine. Works out for me I guess since I prefer darker screen. Sucks for you though. You could maybe try lower brightness and then play with contrast to see if you can get something that works? Good thing Costco has a easy return policy though :/.

"Hey, when you're playing games do the colors at the top of the monitor wash out? Particularly blacks going purple or so."

I've got a 24" HP TN screen and it's a problem I just can't stand.

I'm looking to get a 24" IPS monitor but am not going to pay $500+ for one as I'd rather pay $1000 for a 30"."

I think that is almost a universal TN panel thing. I see it on both of the ones I have at home and at work I seem to always notice it. If you are too low or high you can get the top/bottom of screen to fade a little. Usually the TN panel monitors do left/right better than up/down. Unless your current TN monitor is absolute trash I doubt any other TN monitor is going to be significantly better such that you don't notice that shift.

I don't think its a huge deal for most but if its something that bothers you, yeah get a IPS.

I got this HannsG for my parents, and at 20 brightness I think its a pretty darn good deal. If you're considering IPS panels because you want better image quality then I'd guess no TN is going to work for you. I don't blame you, my current monitor is a IPS and I too will be buying a 30" in a month or so.

I'm not at the point of returning it yet. The colors are just taking a bit to get used to. If I were to describe the richness of the color of my Gateway, I'd say it's sorta like everything looks like it has a really nice HDR tint to it. It makes colors really stand out. With the Hanns, the screen isn't glossy, and the brightness is a lot higher overall, but I think I've found a good setting for myself at this point.

I should be getting mine tomorrow .. will report/give feed back when I get it .. hoping I dont get any dead pixels or bad backlight bleed.

UPS just dropped it off! so far so good no dead pixels or backlight bleed :)

I have to say that I am a little jealous, but UPS is also stopping by my house to drop off number two. Hopefully this one doesn't have a dead pixel in the center of it.

Nice photo in the LCD setup thread, jamesman32. Did you peel off the "HDMI 1080p" sticker, or did it come that way? What's the manufacture date of your monitor? Mine came from Amazon and has a March 09 date.

Back