• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2600XT Crossfire Becnhes

pingjockey

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
177
Has anyone seen any benches for the 2600xt in CF? I have been trying to decide what path I need to take going from a 1950xtx on a ABIT AW9D to something faster. I like my current mobo and it supports crossfire. So I guess the question is should I go with a single 2900xt or go with 2 2600xt's in crossfire. Thoughts......

Rig:
Abit AW9D
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4 Gigs of OCZ Ram
ATI 1950XTX 512mb
Creative Labs X-FI

Thanks
 
Has anyone seen any benches for the 2600xt in CF? I have been trying to decide what path I need to take going from a 1950xtx on a ABIT AW9D to something faster. I like my current mobo and it supports crossfire. So I guess the question is should I go with a single 2900xt or go with 2 2600xt's in crossfire. Thoughts......

Rig:
Abit AW9D
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
4 Gigs of OCZ Ram
ATI 1950XTX 512mb
Creative Labs X-FI

Thanks

Well, if you really want to stick with ATI, forget about the 2 HD 2600 XT in Crossfire and get the HD 2900 XT. Choiosing the 2600 XTs over a X1950 XTX, would be a clear downgrade, even when thinking about the lack of DX10 in the XTX.
However, you should consider the 8800 GTS 640 over the HD 2900 XT, if brand is not a problem for you.
 
I would say just hold on to your ati card for right now. Even though i think you should hold on to your card, I would also like to see crossfire benchmarks of the 2600 xt.

If you really wanted to upgrade to one of the two cards I would say go with the 2900 xt, since I doubt two 2600 xt's will beat one 2900.
 
One 2900 XT is ~$400, Two 2600 XT will be ~$250-$300... Which means it will have to hold its own against a 8800 GTS 320MB.
 
I'd keep the X1950XTX unless I was going to upgrade to something higher end. The HD 2600XT's probably won't cut it in Crossfire mode. I doubt they'd be much if any faster than the X1950XTX. My advice is to grab an 8800GTS 320MB or 8800GTS 640MB and be done with it.
 
One 2900 XT is ~$400, Two 2600 XT will be ~$250-$300... Which means it will have to hold its own against a 8800 GTS 320MB.

No, that's not right. A single 8800 GTS 320 would destroy these 2 2600 XTs in Crossfire. Especially when you consider that a single 8800 GTS 320 already rivals the HD 2900 XT, in most cases.

To the OP:

Again, don't even think about switching a X1950 XTX for 2 2600 XTs in Crossfire. It would be a downgrade and therefore a waste of money. Either you buy a HD 2900 XT (if you really want an ATI card) or get a 8800 GTS 640.
 
No, that's not right. A single 8800 GTS 320 would destroy these 2 2600 XTs in Crossfire. Especially when you consider that a single 8800 GTS 320 already rivals the HD 2900 XT, in most cases.

To the OP:

Again, don't even think about switching a X1950 XTX for 2 2600 XTs in Crossfire. It would be a downgrade and therefore a waste of money. Either you buy a HD 2900 XT (if you really want an ATI card) or get a 8800 GTS 640.

Do you have any benchmark to support your claim? I won't be suprised if 8800GTS 320MB is faster than 2x HD2600XT because here 2x HD2600XT would be cheaper than a single 8800GTS 320MB but I don't know whether the 8800GTS could really destroy 2x HD2600XT in Crossfire. If the 8800GTS 320MB is only marginally faster than 2x HD2600XT then I think that 2x HD2600XT has a better price/performance, not to mention the UVD and HDMI audio feature. Btw why do you always come and flame bait in the ATi's section?

To the OP, I think that you could get a better performance by getting another used X1950XTX to your current setup provided that your PSU can handle the power requirement.
 
Do you have any benchmark to support your claim? I won't be suprised if 8800GTS 320MB is faster than 2x HD2600XT because here 2x HD2600XT would be cheaper than a single 8800GTS 320MB but I don't know whether the 8800GTS could really destroy 2x HD2600XT in Crossfire. If the 8800GTS 320MB is only marginally faster than 2x HD2600XT then I think that 2x HD2600XT has a better price/performance, not to mention the UVD and HDMI audio feature. Btw why do you always come and flame bait in the ATi's section?

To the OP, I think that you could get a better performance by getting another used X1950XTX to your current setup provided that your PSU can handle the power requirement.

I don't know where you've been, but this is a forum where people come to give and receive advice. The proper advice in this situation, is to avoid buying 2 HD 2600 XTs and get a better card than the X1950 XTX and that is either a 8800 card or a 2900 XT.
If you want to come here and mislead the person who's asking for help, go ahead. If you can't get past you brand loyalty and provide good advice, you really shouldn't be in these forums.
I don't flame. I give my advice over current hardware. I couldn't care less that you think I'm a NVIDIA fanboy. I'm here to help and learn. If you don't want to do either, then don't say anything.

On to your question if a single 8800 GTS 320 is faster than 2 2600 XTs. Yes it is. As I pointed out, the 8800 GTS 320 rivals the HD 2900 XT, in most cases. Since not even two 2600 XTs can touch a single 2900 XT, you do the math.
 
Hows the power consumption on 2600xt CF? Would it be more or less than a single 2900xt? and more or less than an 8800gts? Dont go crossfire for the sake of crossfire, if either of these higher end cards uses less power and performs better, chip in the extra buck and you wont regret it!
 
I don't know where you've been, but this is a forum where people come to give and receive advice. The proper advice in this situation, is to avoid buying 2 HD 2600 XTs and get a better card than the X1950 XTX and that is either a 8800 card or a 2900 XT.

On to your question if a single 8800 GTS 320 is faster than 2 2600 XTs. Yes it is. As I pointed out, the 8800 GTS 320 rivals the HD 2900 XT, in most cases. Since not even two 2600 XTs can touch a single 2900 XT, you do the math.
I don't know why but I've seen him try and push this "get two 2600XTs for Xfire" crap a few times already; I have very little idea what his deal is with it.
Hows the power consumption on 2600xt CF? Would it be more or less than a single 2900xt? and more or less than an 8800gts? Dont go crossfire for the sake of crossfire, if either of these higher end cards uses less power and performs better, chip in the extra buck and you wont regret it!
From what I understand the comsumption isn't that bad, it's rather reasonable (unlike the 2900XT); most likely it's less then the 2900 and right around a GTS but don't quote me on that.
 
HD2600XT is 65nm and uses much less power than HD2900XT and I also think that two of them would use less power than a single HD2900XT or maybe less than a single 8800GTS.

Normally I don't recommend someone to buy two lower cards at the same time because a single card at the same price would be a better choice since you can always add another one later but the price of the HD2600XT is extremely low and the power consumption is also low so getting two of them would still make sense because a better single card is more expensive than two HD2600XT.

Here in Germany you can get an used X1950XTX at the price of two new HD2600XT so I think that using two X1950XTX will give you a better performance and I'm pretty sure that they will be better than a single 8800GTS 640MB which costs much more than an used X1950XTX.

The only benefit of new generation cards over two X1950XTX is DX10 but looking at current situation, even 8800GTX is having a hard time with DX10 performance.

Btw 8800GTS is a better card but it is also a more expensive card, even the 320MB is still expensive to some people but nVidia fanboys always push this "get a 8800GTS" crap eventhough it is over the budget. Maybe 2x HD2600XT is not as fast as a single 8800GTS but it is also not as expensive as the 8800GTS and it fits nicely in its price/performance bracket so for someone that already has a CF board, I don't think that it is a bad idea.

People who bash the HD2900XT because the card is expensive, uses a lot of power and slower than a cheaper card are not fanboys to me. However the only reason I could think of why people would bash a slower solution that is cheaper and consumes more or less the same power is brand loyalty.
 
HD2600XT is 65nm and uses much less power than HD2900XT and I also think that two of them would use less power than a single HD2900XT or maybe less than a single 8800GTS.

Normally I don't recommend someone to buy two lower cards at the same time because a single card at the same price would be a better choice since you can always add another one later but the price of the HD2600XT is extremely low and the power consumption is also low so getting two of them would still make sense because a better single card is more expensive than two HD2600XT.

Here in Germany you can get an used X1950XTX at the price of two new HD2600XT so I think that using two X1950XTX will give you a better performance and I'm pretty sure that they will be better than a single 8800GTS 640MB which costs much more than an used X1950XTX.

The only benefit of new generation cards over two X1950XTX is DX10 but looking at current situation, even 8800GTX is having a hard time with DX10 performance.

Btw 8800GTS is a better card but it is also a more expensive card, even the 320MB is still expensive to some people but nVidia fanboys always push this "get a 8800GTS" crap eventhough it is over the budget. Maybe 2x HD2600XT is not as fast as a single 8800GTS but it is also not as expensive as the 8800GTS and it fits nicely in its price/performance bracket so for someone that already has a CF board, I don't think that it is a bad idea.

People who bash the HD2900XT because the card is expensive, uses a lot of power and slower than a cheaper card are not fanboys to me. However the only reason I could think of why people would bash a slower solution that is cheaper and consumes more or less the same power is brand loyalty.

Two X1950XTX's in Crossfire are just slightly faster if not right about the same as a single 8800GTS 640MB.
 
I would like to see a benchmark that compares two X1950XTX against a single 8800GTS 640MB. I haven't found any benchmark that compares this setup yet but what I know is a single X1950XTX has about 75% the performanve of a 8800GTS.

It largely depends on the game. Shader intensive games will run much better on any 8800 card, than even in 2 X1950 XTX Crossfire.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=14

In Oblivion, which is a good example of a shader intensive game, 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS. In other games, the Crossfire setup wins most of the time, even if not by much.
Nevertheless, the card that really beats 2 X1950 XTX, is a single GTX.
 
HD2600XT is 65nm and uses much less power than HD2900XT and I also think that two of them would use less power than a single HD2900XT or maybe less than a single 8800GTS.

Normally I don't recommend someone to buy two lower cards at the same time because a single card at the same price would be a better choice since you can always add another one later but the price of the HD2600XT is extremely low and the power consumption is also low so getting two of them would still make sense because a better single card is more expensive than two HD2600XT.

Here in Germany you can get an used X1950XTX at the price of two new HD2600XT so I think that using two X1950XTX will give you a better performance and I'm pretty sure that they will be better than a single 8800GTS 640MB which costs much more than an used X1950XTX.

The only benefit of new generation cards over two X1950XTX is DX10 but looking at current situation, even 8800GTX is having a hard time with DX10 performance.

Btw 8800GTS is a better card but it is also a more expensive card, even the 320MB is still expensive to some people but nVidia fanboys always push this "get a 8800GTS" crap eventhough it is over the budget. Maybe 2x HD2600XT is not as fast as a single 8800GTS but it is also not as expensive as the 8800GTS and it fits nicely in its price/performance bracket so for someone that already has a CF board, I don't think that it is a bad idea.

People who bash the HD2900XT because the card is expensive, uses a lot of power and slower than a cheaper card are not fanboys to me. However the only reason I could think of why people would bash a slower solution that is cheaper and consumes more or less the same power is brand loyalty.

I don't think you even read what the OP asked. He is thinking about getting 2 HD 2600 XTs OR a HD 2900 XT, which is more expensive than any 8800 GTS. Given that he wants to improve performance over his current X1950 XTX, recommending 2 HD 2600 XTs, because "they are cheaper" makes absolutely no sense and you're misleading the OP, in getting something that won't provide him improvement.
To improve performance over his current setup, he either gets the HD 2900 XT or a 8800 GTS 320/640. Plain and simple.

@JackAshley

Should be quite acceptable and lower than a HD 2900 XT no doubt. But the OP is not thinking about power consumption or he wouldn't even consider a HD 2900 XT. He just wants to improve performance, which he won't get with 2 HD 2600 XTs.
 
Why didn't you post the review from the first game that they tested, this way it is easier to scroll through the review and people won't miss the parts that a single 8800GTX takes a total beating from 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire like in Quake 4, FEAR at high resolution and HL2:E1 :D

I did read the first post and recommended another used X1950XTX as a better upgrade option. 2x HD2600XT would probably be a slightly faster than a single X1950XTX but I can't confirm it until more benchmarks are out. Imo the OP would still consider the cost as a factor because if the value for money is not an issue, he would probably just get a 8800GTX, no need for asking the question here. Btw the real performance of 2x HD2600XT is not been confirmed yet but it could be in between a single X1950XTX and a single 8800GTS 320MB based on the retail price. Btw you didn't answer my question in my first post in this thread yet:
Do you have any benchmark to support your claim?
 
Yeah midrange DX10 card from both manufactures are crap and can't even compete with last generation's midrange DX9 in terms of performance.

Of course people are going to push paying a little extra to get the 8800gts... its worth every penny over the midrange junk released in the last couple of months.

The lowest price I can find the HD2600xt is $145 @ ewiz on froogle x2 = $290

The lowest priced 8800gts 320mb is $265.99 http://www.clubit.com/product_system_detail.cfm?itemno=UPG30213

They also have an evga one for $249 after $40 MIR.

What was your point again alg7_munif?

Btw, how were they taking a beating? look @ the minimum fps on FEAR, same thing as a single card lol.. well maintained fps > big dips
 
some misinfo and fanboism on both ends.

2 1950xtx kills a 8800gts for sure. Even beat out 8800gtx in many games.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=11

To the original poster. Why would you get a crossfire anything? It's not a complete technology that works 100% of the time, neither is sli. You are downgrading for sure. A 2600xt is a 128 bit bus card and only 256meg card. It's slow and can't even compete with 1950pro. Why don't you go get 2 1950pro. It would be a lot better than 2 2600xt. Better yet a single 8800gts would be better.
 
Yeah midrange DX10 card from both manufactures are crap and can't even compete with last generation's midrange DX9 in terms of performance.

Of course people are going to push paying a little extra to get the 8800gts... its worth every penny over the midrange junk released in the last couple of months.

The lowest price I can find the HD2600xt is $145 @ ewiz on froogle x2 = $290

The lowest priced 8800gts 320mb is $265.99 http://www.clubit.com/product_system_detail.cfm?itemno=UPG30213

They also have an evga one for $249 after $40 MIR.

What was your point again alg7_munif?
Maybe in the states the HD2600XT is more expensive than here. Btw why people can always find a rebate for the 8800GTS but they can't find a similiar rebate for the HD2600XT :rolleyes: I have stated my point clearly right in my first post in this thread.

Do you have any benchmark to support your claim? I won't be suprised if 8800GTS 320MB is faster than 2x HD2600XT because here 2x HD2600XT would be cheaper than a single 8800GTS 320MB but I don't know whether the 8800GTS could really destroy 2x HD2600XT in Crossfire. If the 8800GTS 320MB is only marginally faster than 2x HD2600XT then I think that 2x HD2600XT has a better price/performance, not to mention the UVD and HDMI audio feature. Btw why do you always come and flame bait in the ATi's section?

To the OP, I think that you could get a better performance by getting another used X1950XTX to your current setup provided that your PSU can handle the power requirement.
Maybe you need to see an optometrist soon.

@Marvelous, why should he get 2x X1950PRO when he already has a single X1950XTX? He just needs to get another X1950XTX, crossfire version probably.
 
Well anyways, if I were you, OP, I would keep the X1950XTX, thats a nice card and will hold over for more powerful DX10 cards, but if you were to upgrade anyways, I am betting you can still get a handful of cash for that card

Theres one on ebay for $212 + $18 for shipping and its not even over yet. You'll only end up paying around $120-$140 for a nice upgrade to a 2900xt or 8800gts 640mb if you sell your current card.
 
@Marvelous, why should he get 2x X1950PRO when he already has a single X1950XTX? He just needs to get another X1950XTX, crossfire version probably.

It all comes down to $$$$ MONEY MOOLA! YOU HEARD OF IT RIGHT? :confused:

I didn't suggest 2 1950pro. I just said it would be better than 2 2600xt. A single 8800gts would be better than any of those combinations.

Are you on something? It's like you are talking 200 miles per hour.
 
Why didn't you post the review from the first game that they tested, this way it is easier to scroll through the review and people won't miss the parts that a single 8800GTX takes a total beating from 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire like in Quake 4, FEAR at high resolution and HL2:E1 :D

I did read the first post and recommended another used X1950XTX as a better upgrade option. 2x HD2600XT would probably be a slightly faster than a single X1950XTX but I can't confirm it until more benchmarks are out. Imo the OP would still consider the cost as a factor because if the value for money is not an issue, he would probably just get a 8800GTX, no need for asking the question here. Btw the real performance of 2x HD2600XT is not been confirmed yet but it could be in between a single X1950XTX and a single 8800GTS 320MB based on the retail price. Btw you didn't answer my question in my first post in this thread yet:

My last post in this thread, because this is going nowhere. I just hope the OP is not confused by all this.

@alg7_munif

I'm betting you don't even read my posts and don't even care about context. I posted just the Oblivion Tech-Report URL, because I was trying to show you that, as I said in one of my posts, the performance difference between 2 X1950 XTXs and one 8800 GTS, depends largely on the game. Oblivion is an example where 2 XTXs will take a beating against a single 8800 GTS, but in most other games, the 2 XTXs will win.

The only card that takes on Crossfired X1950 XTXs, is a single 8800 GTX, where it either wins (though not by much) or it loses by a small amount. This is no secret and is shown in many reviews. The Tech-Report one is just an example.

On Topic once more:

OP, stay way from 2 HD 2600 XTs in Crossfire and get a single 8800 GTS or HD 2900 XT.
 
I would like to see a benchmark that compares two X1950XTX against a single 8800GTS 640MB. I haven't found any benchmark that compares this setup yet but what I know is a single X1950XTX has about 75% the performanve of a 8800GTS.

Well I was basing this on my own experiences. I had two X1950XTX's in Crossfire before getting a single 8800GTX. The single 8800GTX was faster, period. I figure two X1950XTX's would be about the same speed as the 8800GTS give or take depending on the game.
 
Wow, I did not mean to cause such a stir over a simple question. Here is my logic about going with 2 2600xt cards. I have a slightly older power supply that does not support a 8 pin pci express cable (Antec True Power Trio TP3-650) and I was under the impression that a 2900xt needed both a 6 pin and 8 pin cable to run properly. So, i thought that instead of maybe having to upgrade my powersupply, I could get away with 2 2600xt's running without having to use a pci express cable and maybe save some money in power.

But after reading through all these replies I think I may just wait and see what comes next. A directx 10 card right now would be great but I don't really have any games right now that use it. I have vista ultimate 64bit installed so I have directx 10 but I think I may wait and see what ATI is releasing next.

I would like to thank everyone for the advice, and I hope that I did not cause to much of a stir.

Pingjockey
 
I'm not sure why people bother going dual card unless going top end dual card =p

dual card setups are just for bragging rights unless you go for top end, 1 top end card, will probably destroy 2 mid range or 2 low end cards, and be more convenient(dual monitor, less heat, sometimes less power etc)

unless ur going gts 640, or gtx, or 2900xt, don't get dual cards =D
 
I'm not sure why people bother going dual card unless going top end dual card =p

dual card setups are just for bragging rights unless you go for top end, 1 top end card, will probably destroy 2 mid range or 2 low end cards, and be more convenient(dual monitor, less heat, sometimes less power etc)

unless ur going gts 640, or gtx, or 2900xt, don't get dual cards =D

Agreed.
 
Why didn't you post the review from the first game that they tested, this way it is easier to scroll through the review and people won't miss the parts that a single 8800GTX takes a total beating from 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire like in Quake 4, FEAR at high resolution and HL2:E1 :D

I dunno if I'm just super crazy or what... but how is "takes a beating" equal to performs about the same as? The GTX is right next to the crossfired XTX in all of those benchmarks, and it beats the crap out of the XTX's in Oblivion. Not to mention those benchmarks are from November last year, meaning they are the initial drivers from Nvidia, not newer ones.

In FEAR the xfire XTX BOMB when the resolution is upped from 1024.

Next time you try to post some "proof", make sure you actually look at the benchmark numbers first. Because if anything, the GTX does great in those benchmarks compared to a xfire system. :eek:

For the OP, go with a good single card solution, or if you don't need new performance now, wait until the next cards are released.
 
I'll throw in my 2 cents just because.

What games are you playing that need DX10 right now? More importantly, are any games choking much on your 1950XTX? It's a last gen card, but it's the fastest last-gen card there was. Maybe it's not the fastest now, but I'm willing to bet it could hold you over until some newer high-end cards come out or until you want to play a game in DX10.

PS. The 8-pin for the 2900XT is for overclocking, I don't think you need it... just don't plan on overclocking if you did get that card :D
 
I dunno if I'm just super crazy or what... but how is "takes a beating" equal to performs about the same as? The GTX is right next to the crossfired XTX in all of those benchmarks, and it beats the crap out of the XTX's in Oblivion. Not to mention those benchmarks are from November last year, meaning they are the initial drivers from Nvidia, not newer ones.

In FEAR the xfire XTX BOMB when the resolution is upped from 1024.

Next time you try to post some "proof", make sure you actually look at the benchmark numbers first. Because if anything, the GTX does great in those benchmarks compared to a xfire system. :eek:

For the OP, go with a good single card solution, or if you don't need new performance now, wait until the next cards are released.

Lol, you didn't get my sarcasm did you? You should actually ask the question to another guy. Btw the Oblivion benchmark is not enough to conclude anything imo because they only tested the game at a single resolution.

It largely depends on the game. Shader intensive games will run much better on any 8800 card, than even in 2 X1950 XTX Crossfire.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=14

In Oblivion, which is a good example of a shader intensive game, 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS. In other games, the Crossfire setup wins most of the time, even if not by much.
Nevertheless, the card that really beats 2 X1950 XTX, is a single GTX.

I'm not sure why people bother going dual card unless going top end dual card =p

dual card setups are just for bragging rights unless you go for top end, 1 top end card, will probably destroy 2 mid range or 2 low end cards, and be more convenient(dual monitor, less heat, sometimes less power etc)

unless ur going gts 640, or gtx, or 2900xt, don't get dual cards =D
I agree with you about the dual top end card and X1950XTX was a top end card not long ago and it is still a decent performing card now. However I made an exception with 2x HD2600XT because:

1) Here the card is dirt cheap, two of them would be cheaper than a single 8800GTS and they fit nicely in the missing price gap of both companies (8600GTS<->8800GTS & HD2600XT<->HD2900XT)
2) The card has a low power consumption and using both of them won't stress the PSU much.
3) Since the two cards are cheaper than a single top end card, I don't think that it is a problem if they have a lower performance than a single top end card.
 
Lol, you didn't get my sarcasm did you? You should actually ask the question to another guy. Btw the Oblivion benchmark is not enough to conclude anything imo because they only tested the game at a single resolution.

They tested at two resolutions... 1600x1200 and 2048x1536
 
They tested at two resolutions... 1600x1200 and 2048x1536

Erm... A crossfire X1950XTX setup is not included in the 2048x1536 test :rolleyes: Btw what I meant was, the Oblivion benchmark is not enough to conclude anything about 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS.
 
Erm... A crossfire X1950XTX setup is not included in the 2048x1536 test :rolleyes: Btw what I meant was, the Oblivion benchmark is not enough to conclude anything about 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS.

Well I doubt a single card got that score, they probably just forgot to stick "Crossfire" after the name on the chart. And he was talking about shader intensive games.
 
Well I doubt a single card got that score, they probably just forgot to stick "Crossfire" after the name on the chart. And he was talking about shader intensive games.

Maybe they forgot to stick "Crossfire" after the name in their comment too. He was talking about 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS in shader intensive games based on a single Oblivion benchmark...
I wanted to see what I could do to push the G80 with Oblivion, so I left the game at its "Ultra quality" settings and cranked up the resolution to 2048x1536. I then turned up the quality options in the graphics driver control panel: 4X AA, transparency supersampling, and high-quality texture filtering. I set the Radeon X1950 XTX to comparable settings for comparison, but the GeForce 7900 GTX couldn't join the party, since it can't do FP16 HDR with AA.
 
Maybe they forgot to stick "Crossfire" after the name in their comment too. He was talking about 2 X1950 XTX in Crossfire take a total beating from a single 8800 GTS in shader intensive games based on a single Oblivion benchmark...

Ok lets sum this up for the op. (i've painfully read everything)

3 smartest sulutions:

1. Keep your card! If its not getting taxed to bad just sit on it and wait for dx10 games.
2. Get the GTS. Great reliable card.
3. Get another x1950xtx. Great performance minus the extra heat and power consumption.

The list going by what i think would be the best in that order.

Side note: alg7_mufin wants 'YOU' America to have dual 2600xt's in cf.
 
Lol, you didn't get my sarcasm did you? You should actually ask the question to another guy. Btw the Oblivion benchmark is not enough to conclude anything imo because they only tested the game at a single resolution.



I agree with you about the dual top end card and X1950XTX was a top end card not long ago and it is still a decent performing card now. However I made an exception with 2x HD2600XT because:

1) Here the card is dirt cheap, two of them would be cheaper than a single 8800GTS and they fit nicely in the missing price gap of both companies (8600GTS<->8800GTS & HD2600XT<->HD2900XT)
2) The card has a low power consumption and using both of them won't stress the PSU much.
3) Since the two cards are cheaper than a single top end card, I don't think that it is a problem if they have a lower performance than a single top end card.

regardless of the gap between 8600GTS -> 8800GTS 2600->2900
there is no justification for getting 2 2600xts PERIOD, their performance for gaming is garbage, a single 1900xtx would perform better, or at least around the same, not sure on power consumption :p and you can always add another later right?

I can pick up used 1900xtx here for about $175-200 CAD
2600XT is about 130-140 per card
 
regardless of the gap between 8600GTS -> 8800GTS 2600->2900
there is no justification for getting 2 2600xts PERIOD, their performance for gaming is garbage, a single 1900xtx would perform better, or at least around the same, not sure on power consumption :p and you can always add another later right?

I can pick up used 1900xtx here for about $175-200 CAD
2600XT is about 130-140 per card
I agree with you again, here you can also pick up an used X1950XTX or a new X1950XT 256MB for around 180-210 Eur, right about the price of two HD2600XT. However there is still some justification for getting 2x HD2600XT like UVD, HDMI audio and DX10 support, PERIOD. Maybe the price of HD2600XT there is more expensive but here the card fits nicely in its price bracket and you got what you paid for.
 
I agree with you again, here you can also pick up an used X1950XTX or a new X1950XT 256MB for around 180-210 Eur, right about the price of two HD2600XT. However there is still some justification for getting 2x HD2600XT like UVD, HDMI audio and DX10 support, PERIOD. Maybe the price of HD2600XT there is more expensive but here the card fits nicely in its price bracket and you got what you paid for.

If he's a gamer, video playback isn't usually that important, and DX10 is barely getting by with the high-end, so why would you push it on the mid-range cards to be disappointed?

And I'm definitely not trying to be ignorant, I live in a foreign country from the States also, but when you start talking about pricing and how it's not such a bad deal where you're from... that still doesn't help the person who lives in the States, who is asking for advice, when what is not bad for you price-wise would be a terrible investment for him. Please take that into account when posting.
 
I agree with you again, here you can also pick up an used X1950XTX or a new X1950XT 256MB for around 180-210 Eur, right about the price of two HD2600XT. However there is still some justification for getting 2x HD2600XT like UVD, HDMI audio and DX10 support, PERIOD. Maybe the price of HD2600XT there is more expensive but here the card fits nicely in its price bracket and you got what you paid for.

except you have to disable crossfire to run ur HDMI to ur second display :p
the only REAL use for a 2600XT is light light gaming, and HTPC ^^

IF you are silly enough to spend money on 2x 2600XT in crossfire, then I Feel sorry for you, if you really want, keep your 1900xtx, and buy a 2400XT/pro as a SECOND card for HDMI/HDCP/UVD

this is much more viable solution for a gamer
 
btw, I saw on Rojackpots vga comparison there is a 8600 Ultra listed, with 64 sp and not sureo n mem bandwidth, maybe 256
 
If he's a gamer, video playback isn't usually that important, and DX10 is barely getting by with the high-end, so why would you push it on the mid-range cards to be disappointed?

And I'm definitely not trying to be ignorant, I live in a foreign country from the States also, but when you start talking about pricing and how it's not such a bad deal where you're from... that still doesn't help the person who lives in the States, who is asking for advice, when what is not bad for you price-wise would be a terrible investment for him. Please take that into account when posting.

That is why I recommended him to get another X1950XTX. I made my post about the HD2600XT because nVidia fanboys are bashing every single product ATi's product every time. Surely nVidia has the performance advantage but some ATi's products are also priced competitively with their performance so in certain situations, an ATi product could also be a better choice. My comments about HD2600XT is not directed directly to the OP but more towards other readers that come from different countries, for the OP I suggested another used X1950XTX which can give a better performance with less price. I never said that the 8800GTS is a bad card but I'm sick of this "spend more and get a 8800GTS" crap everytime I read a thread here. The 8800GTS 320MB is still expensive to some people and in some places you can get something cheaper with less performance and it fits in the 8600GTS and 8800GTS gap power, price and performance wise.
 
Back
Top