2600k to 3820 or 3930k?

psyclist

Gawd
Hey guys,

First off ive read a bunch of threads relating to the upgrade/sidegrade, but just wondering what you guys would do in my situation? I got a Gigabyte X79-UP5 board for cheap so i jumped on it. I can still sell it for what i paid no problem, so nothing is set in stone yet.

I do a fair amount of multitasking, and game regularly...recently getting into 3D scene rendering under the G.I.S. profession at the municipal scale. Ive got one GTX670 now and plan on upgrading to another when its worth it to do so, but dual cards is as high as I will go.

Do you guys think its worth it to make the jump to 2011? The 3820 is basically a sidegrade but can be had for fairly cheap ($250ish), and that would give me quad channel memory 10mb L2 cache and more PCI lanes, but what im wondering is the 3930k worth it? they are pushing $450, so thats a sizable investment vs the 3820 which in the end would only cost me an extra $100ish after selling my old board and processor. I usually keep systems for awhile, about 3 years...although the upgrade itch these days comes more often it seems!

I guess the other option is a high end Haswell, but from what ive read, its seems haswell is all about efficiency and not raw speed/power... So in closing 3820, 3930k or just keep the 2600k?

No. Most of the time if people are asking if they need to switch to 2011 chances are they don't need that much power.

If you really want to switch, then it's better to go big or go home for the 2011. I honestly can't justify buying a quad core then putting it in a 2011.

no need to upgrade if you're running a 2600k at 4.7ghz.

3930k would only be faster in 3d scene rendering, but we talking few seconds faster since you have that 2600k oc'd that high.

I would wait for higher end haswell to come out, you are def seeing the best of what socket 2011 could give you just by being clocked as high as you are. Also haswell might not be about raw performance but rather speed/efficency, I tend to disagree, Intel is doing a hell of alot of work on haswell so if you say efficency is thier prime goal, I say automatically that performance is going to go up, which just means IPC as well as on a per watt basis will be higher, and they probably will have worked on the temperatures a bit compared to Ivy which does get apprently quite hot when clocked up high.

I suppose its something you could have answered yourself, if you need the quad channel memory and a faster performing chip then you know what you need, but unless you are using the extra pci-e lanes I wouldnt even bother thinking of that as an advantage.

Yeah, I guess the answer maybe that i dont need the 2011 combo...more so would you guys do it for $100?

The other assumption out of this was the ability to upgrade to IVB-E when it finally decides to land, but i guess thats a ways off still and im not guaranteed compatibility with my board or am I? A hex-core IVB-E with quad channel memory sure does sound nice, but I wonder with Haswell hitting first if it will negate the need for the 2011 platform?

Anybody heard anything new on Haswell or IVB-E?

As someone who has (or had) a 2500K/2600K/2700K/3570K/3770K/3930K, going from a 2600K to 3930K and overclocking, it's a good performance boost for multitasking. However, the cost is another factor. One option is to build another 2600K system for the same price as the upgrade, and using that system as a 3D render farm.

As for gaming, an overclocked 2500K is all you need.

Having owned all of the CPU's you've mentioned, I don't see a reason why you would need to upgrade, but wanting to anyways is pretty normal.

The 3820 might be slightly faster than your 2600k due to the larger cache and should overclock equally. I've owned 3 of them and two would run 5.0ghz 24/7, the other maxed out at 4.9ghz. I've never had a 5.0ghz 1155 chip and I've had about a dozen of them at this point. Probably just my luck.

3930k is a big expense, but if you want the best you pay for it. Not really much to say there, if your programs are heavily multithreaded then you might see a nice gain. Its hard to say if its worth it to you or not.

Personally I like the big iron chips, although I can't really figure out why. Maybe the symmetry of the RAM slots? Who knows. I'm thinking of moving back to 2011 as 1155 will be dead when haswell comes out, and I'm looking forward to 8-core IB-E chips.

bf3 can use up to 6 cores.

i switched from a 2600k to a 3930k. mainly for F@H and i was going to go quad sli and 64gb for ram drives.

[H]ard as hell right here. I really miss my RAMdisk. One huge benefit of X79 builds.

Ramdisk-1.jpg

So in doing some further reading today, ive seen rumours of an 8 core SB-E coming! a 3980x from what i read, and if SB-E is getting an octocore then id imagine IVB-E will be as well! Not that im going to buy one, just cool to see more cores hitting the desktop market! I may just hold onto this board for now and keep my eye out for good deal on a CPU...IVB-E is only 8 months away lol

What are you guys using the RAM DISK for ?

I`ve been debating about adding another 32gb now or later.... push me over the edge ;)

Yeah, I guess the answer maybe that i dont need the 2011 combo...more so would you guys do it for $100?

The other assumption out of this was the ability to upgrade to IVB-E when it finally decides to land, but i guess thats a ways off still and im not guaranteed compatibility with my board or am I? A hex-core IVB-E with quad channel memory sure does sound nice, but I wonder with Haswell hitting first if it will negate the need for the 2011 platform?

Anybody heard anything new on Haswell or IVB-E?

A marginal upgrade now to set yourself up for a marginal upgrade later still doesn't make much sense to me.

A marginal upgrade now to set yourself up for a marginal upgrade later still doesn't make much sense to me.

To me this can make sense if you can sell your current stuff and get a good price.

bf3 can use up to 6 cores.

i switched from a 2600k to a 3930k. mainly for F@H and i was going to go quad sli and 64gb for ram drives.

but how efficiently, just because their is usage being shown across all cores doesn't mean it is using it well..

What are you guys using the RAM DISK for ?

I`ve been debating about adding another 32gb now or later.... push me over the edge ;)

normally the game im playing i would put in a ram drive. near instant loading times.

If you are going to move from the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K to an Intel Core i7 (socket 2011) I would without question go with the Intel Core i7-3930K. There just isnt that much of a difference between the Intel Core i7-2600K and the Intel Core i7-3820. Both of them are quad core processors with hyper-threading and they are both running at the same speed.

If you are going to move from the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K to an Intel Core i7 (socket 2011) I would without question go with the Intel Core i7-3930K. There just isnt that much of a difference between the Intel Core i7-2600K and the Intel Core i7-3820. Both of them are quad core processors with hyper-threading and they are both running at the same speed.

I agree with this, too.

The performance between the 2600K and 3820 are very close to each other. Given that, it's better to go with the 3930K.

Personally I'd go 3820 now and save $ for the IB-E upgrade, that is, if your so inclined.

Thats the thing, I can assume that the IVB-E is gonna be just a bit better than the SB-E but overclocks is where it intrigues me because SB and SB-E overclock differently...what will IVB-E hold? I think im just gonna hold out until closer to its release and just hold onto the board for now...and then we will have a clearer picture on Haswell at the same time...

Id rather upgrade than sidegrade, so unless i find a smokin deal on a processor, think im just gonna sit tight and see what turns up in a few months

3930K is nothing but epeen.

I love epeen, so I would definately go for it in your situation where you can sell your stuff.

Now, if your GIS application are multi-threaded, then 3930K is a lot more than just epeen.

I went from Q6600 to my IB hex core, and man does it feel good.

Thats the thing, I can assume that the IVB-E is gonna be just a bit better than the SB-E but overclocks is where it intrigues me because SB and SB-E overclock differently...what will IVB-E hold? I think im just gonna hold out until closer to its release and just hold onto the board for now...and then we will have a clearer picture on Haswell at the same time...

Id rather upgrade than sidegrade, so unless i find a smokin deal on a processor, think im just gonna sit tight and see what turns up in a few months

If there's a Microcenter near you, the 3820 is $229.99 there. The idea would be to buy the IB-E at your convenience once it's released. Likely you would go for a 6, or 8 core if available, IB-E. There's no harm in waiting as well. The PC world is changing considerably.

how many times do you need to read "it won't make a difference" before you get it in your head. you dont need the lanes, you dont need the memory, you dont need the threads. you won't notice any of them.

yes, 2600k is that good. yes, haswell will be better.

get the 2700k over the 2600k its a better chip and is easier to overclock

how many times do you need to read "it won't make a difference" before you get it in your head. you dont need the lanes, you dont need the memory, you dont need the threads. you won't notice any of them.

yes, 2600k is that good. yes, haswell will be better.

Sorry, but how can you tell without knowing what is GIS performs with more cores?
Not saying you are wrong, as I agree that in 90% of the use cases you are correct, but in those 10% of cases it can make a big difference.

Dont take my work for it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/14/intel_core_i73960x_sandy_bridge_e_processor_review/9

Gaming? Dont bother.

But:

Content Creation / Workstations

As we have seen, the 3960X chews through multi-threaded encoding and rendering faster than Herman Cain goes through secretaries. But still, even I do a fair amount of content creation and I have to wonder just how much I would value a 3960X in my box. It would be great, till the heat started pouring out from under my desk I guess. Considering the price of the 3960X and the power used, you will need to be in a position that content creation is your job. Now if content creation is your job, I can see the benefits surely. If you are working at a CAD station, I can surely see the 3960X as being beneficial too. But I just do not truly see the 3960X as a "desktop" processor.

Sorry, but how can you tell without knowing what is GIS performs with more cores?
Not saying you are wrong, as I agree that in 90% of the use cases you are correct, but in those 10% of cases it can make a big difference.

Dont take my work for it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/14/intel_core_i73960x_sandy_bridge_e_processor_review/9

Gaming? Dont bother.

But:

Because in the OP, he said he is just starting to get into 3d scene rendering. If he really likes doing it and wants to keep doing it alot, then he would fall into the 10% of needing it.(or whatever % it really is)

I did a straight swap from 2600k/p67(4.8ghz) pro to a GB x79-UD5 / 3820(4.62ghz)

mmmm, I'm happy with it, no difference really, but since it cost me nothing I went for it.

If you are paying for it, it's probably not worth doing, even $100, instead use the $100 on an SSD, faster memory, to spend later on a GPU :)

I'm not sure about the G.I.S? but most 3D rendering apps utilize multiple cores, and 6 cores there will most likely be a benefit.

Back