2600k not using speedstep

ZippZopp

Limp Gawd
I've got a 2600k on a sabertooth p67. i have it overclocked to 4.5ghz, however, it is always running at 4.5. I have speedstep and turbo enabled in the bios, so shouldn't it run at 1.6 ghz and then ramp up to 4.5 when needed??

Reset the BIOS and see if you get speedstep again at stock speed. If you do, then change the multiplier in BIOS to whatever frq and see if it works then.

Depending on the BIOS version, some of them changed the Default from Enabled to Disabled for the power saving features when overclocking. Try setting EIST and the C states to Enabled manually. and see if that helps.

it is now working properly. i was having some extremely weird issues last night and i'm not sure what the deal is. i reset the bios back to defaults and it was still giving me issues. it wasn't using speedstep in windows and was reporting my cpu as 3.5 ghz..odd. anyway, it almost looked as if some of the things i was setting in the bios weren't being saved or it was reverting to other settings which i can't figure out why. so i reset back to defaults and then manually went through and did my settings for my 4.5ghz overclock and it finally started working again properly. so now i'm left wondering if there is an issue with my board maybe?

it is now working properly. i was having some extremely weird issues last night and i'm not sure what the deal is. i reset the bios back to defaults and it was still giving me issues. it wasn't using speedstep in windows and was reporting my cpu as 3.5 ghz..odd. anyway, it almost looked as if some of the things i was setting in the bios weren't being saved or it was reverting to other settings which i can't figure out why. so i reset back to defaults and then manually went through and did my settings for my 4.5ghz overclock and it finally started working again properly. so now i'm left wondering if there is an issue with my board maybe?

More likely just a BIOS quirk.

More likely just a BIOS quirk.

can that be a board issue? i'm still working a bit to get my system fully stable with my overclock, however, it does seem like i'm getting quite a bit of BIOS quirks, settings that don't save, settings that revert etc....

On my Asus Deluxe, I notice if c1, c3, c6 and etc. are to auto they are actually disable. I needed to enable them for speedstep to work.

thanks myzhi, i think that is what is going on with mine as well......i think it might be all straightened out now, thanks for the input

On my Asus Deluxe, I notice if c1, c3, c6 and etc. are to auto they are actually disable. I needed to enable them for speedstep to work.

Same thing with my P8P67 Pro. The default Auto settings for the C states work only if the CPU speed is set to its default Auto (or stock) setting. If any overclock at all whatsoever is applied, that setting is the same as Disabled.

Back