2600k downclocks in game-this normal?

Island

Gawd
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
887
Hey fellas. Built a new rig few weeks ago...2600k msi p67-gd65. I have drivers, bios etc all updated and just decided for a nice manual overclock to 4.2 via bios...Prime 95 stable after 12 hours, intel burn test, lin pack etc. temps don't get passed 62c with a h70.

anway, I left the cpu/dram voltages on auto as i like to utilize c1/speedstep when idle....wierd thing is I noticed playing mafia 2 this morning in windowed mode that cpu-z will show the cpu overclock bouncing back and forth between the 4.2 overclock and 1.6 ghz....

During prime/lin pack, it stays at the full overclock...is this normal for the cpu to downclock during a game...I thought games would constitute as full load needed by the cpu...can anyone with a 2600k overclocked confirm this during games? thanks
 
Games are not anywhere near the load that Prime95 applies. So it is normal.
 
If you aren't experiencing any performance issues, I would say it's normal.
 
Turn your resolution way down which will ease up on your video card and increase load on the cpu, I bet you see the cpu clocked higher more often.
 
Better yet,
turn OFF the power saving modes: EIST, C1E, C3/C6. Problem solved.

There are TONS Of games out there that won't even load a GPU at full 3D speeds, because the drivers can't detect a load, since the games barely stress the GPU more than windows does (Soldier Front is an example).
 
Better yet,
turn OFF the power saving modes: EIST, C1E, C3/C6. Problem solved.
That would be solving a problem that doesn't exist in the first place. If the game needed more CPU power, the CPU wouldn't be dropping its frequency altogether.
 
Better yet,
turn OFF the power saving modes: EIST, C1E, C3/C6. Problem solved.

There are TONS Of games out there that won't even load a GPU at full 3D speeds, because the drivers can't detect a load, since the games barely stress the GPU more than windows does (Soldier Front is an example).

Yeah I was just giving a quick example of how he could see different loads on the cpu affect the clock rate.
 
well...I don't know what to say but 12 hours prime95, few hours linpak/occt....no issues...play mafia 2 for 15 min....infinite loop crash...sound screeching....razer kb and mouse lose power....I revert to default in bios...run everything at stock and ....no issues....I think overclocking is great and im pissed becuase i bought this chip to overclock bu I built a gaming rig and I want to game w/o crashes...I left the vcore on auto for a 4.2 ghz overclock...u guys think if I manually set it to say 1.3, that could possibly stop the crashes in games? wierd becuase on auto at 4.2, I can run prime for over 12 hours w/o a hiccup...
 
latest bios addresses razor mouse issues I believe...have you tried just using the oc button on the mb... if that works for you then its just a question of tweaking your oc.
 
latest bios addresses razor mouse issues I believe...have you tried just using the oc button on the mb... if that works for you then its just a question of tweaking your oc.

ty for the reply..ill check msi's website...i have 1.9..thought that was the latest...ya i used oc genie and didnt have any probs but id like to overclock manually rather then having it done via software...but i guess oc genie is built into the bios though?
 
CPU-Z is designed for consistent validation purposes and doesn't tell you the whole story when your CPU is lightly loaded and individual threads are bouncing around from one C State to the next. The programmer of CPU-Z acknowledges this issue.

Of course I admit that CPU-Z is not accurate anymore at idle on latest Intel generations, that is why TMonitor was developped.

Give ThrottleStop a try and you can watch the average multiplier for all 8 threads in real time. It follows the Intel recommended monitoring method for Core i processors as outlined in their November 2008 Turbo White Paper.

ThrottleStop 3.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=1
 
Back
Top