• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2600k core temps

Leila87

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
63
Yesterday installed my new sandy build, 2600k with a p8p67 evo, everything went smooth, but checking temps, seems core0 gets cooler than rest, at idle they all stay around 30c, but full load (@4.5ghz 1.3v) its like:

core0 - 50c
core1 - 55c
core2 - 60c
core3 - 57c

Is this normal?
 
Yes, there can be quite a spread between the cores, and the first core almost always runs coolest, and using a 1-4 numbering, cores 2 and 3 tend to run the hottest.
 
This is normal for many CPU's - especially the SB's. Nothing to worry about . . . and Croak is correct.
 
10 degrees is a larger spread than I've ever seen, but even your hottest core is still relatively cool.
 
My cores have an 8-10deg spread sometimes between the coolest and the hottest. Those temps look fine.
 
The cores are in an in-line configuration (rather than 2x2), so it is only natural that the middle cores will be hotter. However that is quite a large gap, I would reapply the thermal paste & heat sink myself.
 
mine have about a 5-6 degree difference, that's with a lapped IHS and heatsink. About the best I can do there. Tried 2 different sinks.
 
With an NH-D14 and 2600k @ 4.5Ghz 1.4 V

0: 68
1: 72
2: 75
3: 76

Those seem high for this heat sink and an ambient temperature of 19 C . I think I need to reinstall the cooler...
 
With an NH-D14 and 2600k @ 4.5Ghz 1.4 V

0: 68
1: 72
2: 75
3: 76

Those seem high for this heat sink and an ambient temperature of 19 C . I think I need to reinstall the cooler...

Those temps are reasonable for that voltage. Problem is you are using far too much voltage for that overclock.
 
Those temps are reasonable for that voltage. Problem is you are using far too much voltage for that overclock.

I know, I'm doing that on purpose to try and compare temps to many others who are running at 1.4v . There are a few others with this cooler and 1.4v getting much lower temps. It has me scratching my head.

Edit: I just noticed you are using the nh-d14 on the 2600k. What kind of temps are you getting at what voltages?
 
I know, I'm doing that on purpose to try and compare temps to many others who are running at 1.4v . There are a few others with this cooler and 1.4v getting much lower temps. It has me scratching my head.

Edit: I just noticed you are using the nh-d14 on the 2600k. What kind of temps are you getting at what voltages?

Case cooling matters a lot. Even low ambients won't help if the CPU cooler is intaking GPU heated air, for instance. That being said, those temps do seem high for that cooler.
 
I redid the AS5 application with a line and now my hottest core maxes at 75 C still at 1.4 V .
 
Those temps are reasonable for that voltage. Problem is you are using far too much voltage for that overclock.

I will second that. I am running 4.8 sometimes 4.9 and I am using only 1.4volts. My system will BSOD with anything under literally 1.4. I can get 5 but i push the envelope of voltage and I will not push 5 because there is NO difference between 4.8 and 5 in any real world usage for me right now.
 
I have been doing little research, judging from shots of coretemp/realtemp, looks like quite bit of ppl are getting this c spread (up to 11/12c). I may reapply hs, but since temps never go above 50c when gaming etc, only in prime95, it's ok i hope.

edit: reseating hs, same result.
 
Last edited:
Intel designed their core temperature sensors to be able to control thermal throttling and thermal shutdown. They were never designed for accurate temperature monitoring. Save your thermal paste. It is very common for core 0 to report significantly cooler and the two center cores to report the highest temperature on these new Sandy Bridge CPUs. Intel has never published how accurately they set TJMax. There is some error in this value but without knowing how much, reported temperatures are approximations at best.
 
Highest temps on the inside cores makes a lot of sense..they've got another core on each side pumping out heat. The outside cores have another core on one side only, and pretty much nothing generating much heat on the other.
 
Back
Top