• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

2600k > 980X

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
3,929
So my 980x died on the operating table when I was switching out my RMAd Rampage III mobo and I needed to get my work rig up and running again.

In desperation I went to CompUSA and bought a 2600k & this mobo:
http://www.compusa.com/applications...ffiliateID=je6NUbpObpQ-oXhQMwc2jh3HVrC4j.a5Ug

I have the 2600k purring along at 5GHZ and I gotta say this thing smokes the 980x in gaming! For example, In BF3 I am getting at least 5 min fps greater with the OCd 2600k versus my 980x which was running at 4.5ghz. But not only that, things are much smoother and responsive with the 2600k versus the 980x!

It seems like the sweet spot in CPU gaming is 1-2 Gpus combined with a quick four banger. Has anybody else gone from a six core to a four core and found gaming to be superior?
 
In general going from four to six cores (with equivilent cores) makes little difference in gaming.

What speed were you clocking the 980x at?
 
I was clocking the 980x from 4.3, 4.5 & 4.7, but I had kept it at 4.3 as I noticed no difference from having it clocked there or at 4.7.

I see a very noticeable improvement with BF3 @5ghz on the 2600k versus the 980x. In addition to picking up 5min fps it seems like my fps swings are less. Perhaps there are other things at play, my ram is clocked higher in the 2600k mobo then it was in the 980x mobo, so maybe thats where I am picking up the improvements.

All i know is that I am getting much better gaming enjoyment out of a $300 processor versus a $1,000 processor. My thread point was to see if there were any others that have "stepped down" from a six to a four banger and been happier.
 
I went from a 980x to a 2500k and noticed very little difference, if any.
 
Right now there are so few games that can even take advantage of more than 4 threads (and those that do really don't offer much of a performance advantage) that you really shouldnt even be looking at anything above a quad core for a gaming system. The reason the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is the #1 enthusiast processor on the market right now is that you get top of the line performance in gaming at a reasonable price.
 
If you have only tested in BF3, I bet it is because of the higher RAM speed and better RAM controller on your new setup.

The same could be seen in BFBC2. Not changing anything but the RAM speed on an LGA1366 setup would give you better fps and it would also be much smoother.
 
Send me your 980!
for your collection of dead cpus? or just want a piece of jewelry? :D
il_570xN.267667267.jpg
 
Back
Top