2600 vs 2700 what made you choose more cores?

2wiced

2[H]4U
I love to tinker and overclock new texh. When ryzen came our, I purchased an Ryzen 7 1700. I clocked it to 4ghz. I'm selling it to a buddy and will have some money to try something new.

2600 or 2600x or 2700

The maximum price difference will be $90 between 2600/2600x and 2700. Is the 2700 worth the 45% price difference. I would like to reach 4.2-4.3ghz.

I only game. Thus for me I'd like to get highest performance/price ratio.

Most games don't use 8 cores. So why do it? What made you choose 2700/2700x?

I actually recently ordered a 2600 to replace a 1700 that went bad.

Understandably, it has less cores and lesser performance in some professional tasks. However, looking at gaming it's still pretty competitive and is only maybe a few fps behind the 2700.

I also really just liked the number "2600" and the price was nice. If you stream while you game, or do video editing, and stuff like that, it may be worth it to get the 2700, but for straight gaming I think the 2600 is enough.

If you're going to overclock (using an aftermarket cooler) and only game, I'd say the Ryzen 5 2600 is your bang for buck performance chip. That $30 saved vs the 2600X goes to a much better cooler, and the extra $90 for the 2700X isn't necessarily worth it for purely gaming.

Honestly though, a lot of PC enthusiasts just like to have the best available hardware even if they don't necessarily utilize it 100% :)

I'd say buy the 2600 now, then if you want to upgrade do it in a year or so when you can get 2700/2700x for a $100 cheaper or so (similar to first gen ryzen)

I just ordered the 2600X to replace my ancient I5 2500K.
Early reviews are showing that the new precision boost and extended freq range work so well that overclocking provides very small gains over stock. In this setup, I will have increased efficiency at stock 2600X by not manually overclocking to 4.2ghz at all times like the 2600 would do (It will hit 4.1 to 4.2 automatically in games stock).
Plus a decent cooler for 30 dollars and I feel the X is worth it for 2600 versions.

Would not recommend paying 100 dollars more for 2700X, as the Ryzen 2 gen will be out within a year with higher clocks on 7nm and you can sell your 2600 or 2600X and pop the Ryzen 2 in same motherboard.

For pure gaming grab the 2600x and let it boost itself. In most titles letting it OC itself will produce better frames than a flat OC over all cores, due to the still predominately low-thread optimisation for most games.

For pure gaming grab the 2600x and let it boost itself. In most titles letting it OC itself will produce better frames than a flat OC over all cores, due to the still predominately low-thread optimisation for most games.

That's what I plan to do. A 2600 or 2600x. Might go for thr X because of the 4.25 boost and not worry about overclocking

That's what I plan to do. A 2600 or 2600x. Might go for thr X because of the 4.25 boost and not worry about overclocking

That's what I plan to do when I eventually upgrade. I'm at 1440p as well so CPU OC is less of a concern than GPU horsepower, so letting the CPU do its own thing suits me just fine!

I went ahead with the 2600X for the same reasons why 2wiced mentioned. I'll let the system decide how much it should boost on its own for now. While I'm quite comfortable OC'ing the CPU, there simply isn't a need to do so at this point in time.

So far, when combined with a Radeon RX580, it's handling all of my games with the eye candy turned up, running smoothly, and CPU temps are cool and stable, using the Wraith Spire cooler.

Back