• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2600 vs 2600k

Gordao

n00b
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
27
i want to buy a 2600. but i was wondering something... what's the difference between the 2600k and the 2600?
 
2600k has an unlocked multiplier and the 2600 doesn't. Better onboard video on the 2600k iirc (not that it matters). Other than that they're the same chip I believe.
 
2600 has VT-d whereas 2600k does not. Both have VT-x
 
It's a feature that allows virtual machines to access hardware directly. VT-x allows the CPU to be used directly, and VT-d allows the chipset to be used directly (which allows VMs to properly see devices like video and sound cards, keyboards, mice, network adapters, etc. without using virtualized drivers).
 
Thats interesting that they put the better intergrated graphics chip in the K version when most people are going to run dedicated graphics with it. It would make more sense for the non-K version to have it.
 
When a single core is active, the chip can turbo up to 3.7GHz. If you want, you can change that turbo state to go as high as 4.1GHz. Overclocking these chips relies entirely on turbo however. In the case above, the fastest your chip will run is 4.1GHz but with only one core active. If you have four cores active the fastest your chip can run is 3.8GHz

K-series of CPUs, with the Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K chips are fully unlocked and will let you overclock them as far as the CPU and/or your cooling can sustain.
 
Thats interesting that they put the better intergrated graphics chip in the K version when most people are going to run dedicated graphics with it. It would make more sense for the non-K version to have it.

It's doubly strange because the only chipset that allows you to use the onboard video (H67) doesn't allow you to overclock. So the better video and unlocked multipliers are almost mutually exclusive, yet exist on the same chip.
 
It's doubly strange because the only chipset that allows you to use the onboard video (H67) doesn't allow you to overclock. So the better video and unlocked multipliers are almost mutually exclusive, yet exist on the same chip.

Wow, that is even more strange. Maybe someone that knows more could explain why Intel decided to do that. It would make more sense for the non-K variants to have the better IGP since that is more what OEM's would use since they are locked, and have built in graphics.
 
Intels got probs...

No the Z68 chipset is coming out which enables overclocking and the enabling of the IGP. But it gets disabled once you use a discrete graphics solution. To be honest altough Intel made strides with their IGP its nowhere near the lower end discrete solutions of Amd and Nvidia yet
 
So, just to get this straight, if I want VT-d for kicking around hardware acceleration inside a VM using a supported hypervisor and I also want the integrated GPU for the fast and fancy video transcoding, I am out of luck with the current Sandy Bridge CPUs?
 
So, just to get this straight, if I want VT-d for kicking around hardware acceleration inside a VM using a supported hypervisor and I also want the integrated GPU for the fast and fancy video transcoding, I am out of luck with the current Sandy Bridge CPUs?
All of the current Sandy Bridge CPUs have IGPs. Only the K models lack VT-d.
 
So both models have IGPs but the K model IGP is different and/or better in some way? (If so does this affect the transcoding performance in any way?)
 
I would imagine that transcoding is slightly slower with non-K CPUs, but the difference is probably not too big.
 
Okay, it looks like the difference between HD2000 and HD3000 are 6 versus 12 execution units, but are clocked the same, so depending on whether Quicksync uses these EUs are not, transcoding may be identical between the two, or substantially faster on the K model.
 
Wow, that is even more strange. Maybe someone that knows more could explain why Intel decided to do that. It would make more sense for the non-K variants to have the better IGP since that is more what OEM's would use since they are locked, and have built in graphics.

I think it's just cause they are idiots and couldn't really care less about the customer. Supposedly there will be a new "X" or "Z" or something mobo coming out in the next few months that allows use of all the features and I bet that board will cost a fortune. It's a bunch of screw-with-the-customer, gameplaying nonsense from them as far as I can tell.

I am tired of their crap. The 2100, which would be an ideal HTPC chip, of course has their crappier IGP. I mean, that's just stupid (and irritating). But whatever, as much as I don't want to, because I would really like to build a new HTPC and to try out a 2500K desktop set up, I am just going to wait for Llano and Bulldozer and see what's what then.
 
I think it's just cause they are idiots and couldn't really care less about the customer. Supposedly there will be a new "X" or "Z" or something mobo coming out in the next few months that allows use of all the features and I bet that board will cost a fortune. It's a bunch of screw-with-the-customer, gameplaying nonsense from them as far as I can tell.

QFT. Did they just hire Hector Ruiz or something?
 
Back
Top