256MB now or wait?

UrbN

Limp Gawd
hey guys, i had a smal question about my mobo / video card combo and was wondering on what to do.. I bought this asus motherboard about 1½ years ago, and i purchased the 6800 OC 128MB when it first came out, the motherboard is AGP.. I wasn't aware of the pci-e at the time, and now i feel like i'm kicking myself in the rear for not looking into it.. I was thinking about buying a new video card, 7800GT or something that is good and fast at 256 or better ( opinions are welcome ) Where is a good place to look at a good 256MB card AGP vs PCI-E chart? I dont wanna have to buy another mobo, but i'm willing to if need be to get the best out of my card. Thanks for the help in advance guys, so much info on this stuff i dont totally understand.

Well PCI-E is the way to go. Not dissing AGP or anything, it just no cards are being developed for it anymore. The latest card is the 7800GS and X1600Pro. I would just upgrade the mobo and go PCI-E.

What is a good mobo / video card combo to go with? I'm not an overclocker at all, i see alright mobos from $80 - $175 and should i go with the 7800 series now or just wait?

waiting 9 days= either 50-100 bucks for the same product or get a better product for the same cost. Worst case scenario is the 7800gt will be phased out (which it seems to be happening) and the 7900gt will take over it's place at a slightly higher cost (50 bucks max)

If you wanna go with the high-end cards though, you'll have to go PCI-e. I'd suggest an Asus A8N-SLI, Deluxe or Premium, and a eVGA or BFG 7800GT . That way, when you're looking to upgrade the Graphics card in 2 years, you just buy another Identical card to what you have, and Viola! you're set. No new mobo, no getting rid of a perfectly good Graphics card.

wow, great answers, i got everything i was wanting to hear also...

i guess i should have posted that i'm running a P4 3.0ghz..

npurdin said:
If you wanna go with the high-end cards though, you'll have to go PCI-e. I'd suggest an Asus A8N-SLI, Deluxe or Premium, and a eVGA or BFG 7800GT . That way, when you're looking to upgrade the Graphics card in 2 years, you just buy another Identical card to what you have, and Viola! you're set. No new mobo, no getting rid of a perfectly good Graphics card.

Good luck finding that card in 2 years.

I've picked up Radeon9700's for a little BF2 facelift for freinds not long ago at all. The boards will have them.

7800gt seems like it's being phased out when the 7900's come out so as been said before "Good luck finding that card in 2 years"

9700 was phased out with the 9800 so.... you're both still wrong.

I'm not even recommending doing so but any one with a few free brain cells will be able to find one if they must have it. It won't be hard either so long as they follow the few free cells requirement.

npurdin said:

The Asus board doesn't make the A8N for pentium support, recommend another? :)

Back