2550K: Overclocking without an IGP?

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Are there any reviews out for this one yet? Does it overclock better then a 2500k?

I would imagine it's probably the same as any other 2500k with the IGP turned off.

You should check the AT thread about this as there was much fuss about this chip. Here's a quote from the thread:
I heard they accumulated all the CPUs with bad GPUs throughout the year and now they released the 2550k to get rid of excess stock. Unfortunately I don't remember the source right now but since I work in an IT environment at a very large company, I tend to hear a lot of info through the grape vine.

If these chips actually had good GPUs, why would they disable it? They are still charging a premium over the 2500k and IMO I think it would be more of an effort (labor) to disable it by laser or microcode then to just release it with the GPU enabled. The motherboard just handles the code to disable the GPU when a dedicated graphics card is present, so it should pose no advantage what so ever on overclocking.

In my opinion, I would stay away from these and stick with the tried-and-true 2500K. I mean, it's just a 2500k with the IGP disabled permanently. Frankly, there's no sense in buying this chip at all at its current price.

I wish it would have been named the 2420K and sold cheaper :D For a few people buying the 2550K from MC is the cheapest way to get an unlocked SB.

Back