2500k worth it?

zUg_zUg

n00b
Im running a i7 920 with a evga sli 3 board right now with a gtx4602win. Im looking at an i72500k with an asrock extrema 4 z77 board. Any have any experience with this combo together? I read a few review sites saying that the board is pretty beast. Also the 2500k seems to fit the budget well or should i ride it out for another generation ? Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
They're being discontinued and could possibly be the last of the great mohicans in regards to raw overclocking potential, based on recent trends and direction Intel/Nvidia seem to be taking, counting AMD doesn't save the scene. If you primarily game, I'd highly consider it if you can find a good deal on one or a 2550k if you don't need integrated graphics.

Thanks Ticker. I looked on microcenters site and theres one in tustin which is a good 40 min drive from me. If what you say is true, i maybe inclined to make the drive.

I have an Asrock E4 z77/i7-2600K system here I just finished building for a customer and it's a sweet runner. He's waiting to overclock it to get a feel for how fast it is in rendering, so it's running the stock heatsink right now. No problems setting it up with 8 gigs of GSkill 1600 and a Powercolor HD 6950 2 Gb card, it cruises along like a rocket with power to spare with for when he cranks up the multi.

Our daughter has an Asrock E3 G3 with an i5-2500K (@4.5 GHz) in her gaming rig and she loves the performance. It has been stable as(a)rock :D since day one. I have their X58 E6 with an i7-920 (@4.1 GHz) in my main system and it's been fast and stable since I set it up.

IMO Asrock makes a good board at an excellent price. I have been using them for years and have had no problems with them.

Now watch shit happen to me... :D

thanks doug! Ill keep that in mind. I may have to make a trip out to tustin and do a will call at new egg =]

Im running a i7 920 with a evga sli 3 board right now with a gtx4602win. Im looking at an i72500k with an asrock extrema 4 z77 board. Any have any experience with this combo together? I read a few review sites saying that the board is pretty beast. Also the 2500k seems to fit the budget well or should i ride it out for another generation ? Any thoughts ?

No game is going to be CPU bound on an i7-920 for a while, especially with a healthy overclock.
That being said, if you live by a MC you can upgrade to the 2500K for minimal additional cost, and enjoy a more feature-rich board and cooler-running CPU.

I went from an i7 960 to a 2500K. The 2500K clocked better, used less power and ran a hell of a lot cooler. By selling off my 1366, I not only paid for my 2500K set up, but also put the extra cash toward a new videocard.

Last edited:
I think that the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is one of our all-time best processors for its price and what it brought to the table it is an outstanding processor. The Intel Core i5-3570K comes close to value of it but since it only overclocks up to about the same level of performance as the Intel Core i5-2500K a year and half later I still have to put it below the Intel Core i5-2500K on my list of all-time greats.

IMO..It'd be a noticeable upgrade..especially with some Samsung RAMs @ 2133+ 20+ more GFLOPS without AVX.

I would say wait for Haswell/whatever next gen is. You would definitely notice a performance increase, I just doubt you would find it's a worthy upgrade or a big enough increase in performance.

Haswell is around the corner, if you were upgrading months ago it would of been worth it.

Wait for next gen unless you want to upgrade just for kicks

i also agree on waiting till Haswell it should offer another decent performance jump and unlike Ivy Bridge it should be using solder again so lower temps and decent clocks.

I simply love my 2500k..I dont really see anything worthy of upgrade for the next year or two..

Check the Sig.

i also agree on waiting till Haswell it should offer another decent performance jump and unlike Ivy Bridge it should be using solder again so lower temps and decent clocks.

Why would you think that? It is lower power than Ivy, so I'd say it is even less likely they would go back to solder.

Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up getting the i5 2500k and the z77 extreme 4 from Asrock. Everythings been running smooth so far! Havent started to OC yet. Will start that this weekend.

Back