2500k+Stock HSF+SG05.. Too hot?

NICKSTAR

2[H]4U
Okay so this is my first ITX build and ive got some real concerns.

Running Prime95 and my load temps are 80+.

Stock HSF, Stock Speeds, 2500k in SG05..

Suggestions?

_____

*UPDATE*: Tried out a Shuriken Rev B and the heat pipes were against the GPU. I put some black tape on the heatpipes and tried it out. It was hotter than my stock intel HSF w\ AS5.

I moved back to my stock HSF and just added AS5 and now my temps idle in the 30's and load was around 70. I can live with that until i figure out something else to do.

Thinking about kicking my 3.5" to the curb and just getting a 2.5" for DATA storage. I have 2 SSD drives that i use currently (1 for OS, and 1 for games).

So just in case anyone was interested, the Shuriken rev B is not a good choice for multiple reasons
1) poor cooling
2) really REALLY tight fit with a Zotac z68 board, and it WILL apply pressure to your GPU in a PCI-E slot.

Last edited:
Mounting of HSF may be off. I never got more than 70C with the same setup. I now use Shuriken 2's and the temps are never above 65 when everything is pushed. I also replaced the stock case fan with an Enermax T.B.Silent and a Zalman Fanmate to tune it down to about 800RPM. Also check out your fan profile in your BIOS.

Spend some money on an aftermarket cooler of some sort. Just about anything is better than the stock HSF..

I guess you could remove the Intel HSF, clean off the paste, apply some new, better stuff (lol) and install it again. And yeah, lay off the P95.

Edit:

What sort of case do you have? Could you fit any other HSF in there?

Edit 2: Blah: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1505951 AND: http://www.overclock.net/t/982151/need-a-good-cpu-cooler-for-my-silverstone-sugo-sg05

Maybe the Noctua NH-C14 with some slim fans?

i had an h50 before moving down to ITX.. didnt want to sacrifice my 3.5 HDD, so I stuck with stock. Ill definitely be ordering something tonight.

What board are you using? I'm asking because of socket placement, but a Samuel 17 should do the trick. The NH-C14 is way too tall for the SG05, and my temps stay below 60C on my non k 2500 using the Samuel 17.

sg052.jpg

Last edited:
What board are you using? I'm asking because of socket placement, but a Samuel 17 should do the trick. The NH-C14 is way too tall for the SG05, and my temps stay below 60C on my non k 2500 using the Samuel 17.

sg052.jpg

I have the asrock h67

Yes the Shurikenwould be fine. I picked up my Samuel for $21 via Newegg open box. I wouldn't spend too much on a cooler unless you plan on upgrading to Z77, because you can't overclock with your current board.

Yes the Shurikenwould be fine. I picked up my Samuel for $21 via Newegg open box. I wouldn't spend too much on a cooler unless you plan on upgrading to Z77, because you can't overclock with your current board.

i do plan on overclocking, but ill probably sell my board\case when i do so.. Ive been curious about ITX for a while so I wanted to go extra small, but i think my next one will be a tiny bit bigger

U can fit a h60/h70/antec 620 in that Sg05 and still keep the dvd+Hdd.
There's a thread about the Sg05 in this forum.

Found a used Shuriken Rev B on the forum for $22. So im waiting on that to get here.

Also decided to get a Zotac z68 board and return the asrock h67. Found a really good deal on one.
Ill probably try to wire my sg05 a little better when all the new components come in. Maybe increase airflow.

Also considering taking my 3.5" drive out and putting it in an enclosure So i can remove the HDD\DVD brackets and increase airflow there too. Hopefully this all works out.

did a quick update.

FYI, Shuriken REV B + Zotac z68 + a GPU = a no go. The heat pipes push on the GPU.

Yeah, what many people fail to mention in using the Shuriken Rev B in many itx motherboards is that they pre-bend the whole apparatus so that the pipes no longer touch the GPU. I just don't trust my luck with making such modifications. Would probably apply too much force and end up crimping the pipes or something. Would much rather purchase a sink that just fits.

I thought you have to mount the shuriken the other way where the heatpipes face towards the front and back of the case?

Back