2500k overclocking help

HAF72

1337 :)
CPU cooler is Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 and idle temp is 45F. I tried to get it up to 4.5ghz but no matter what, it crashes after a few minutes of prime 95. The ram I have

Anything I should change in the settings or the setup? Thanks for any advice!

*click able thumbnail*

What's your temp when you're running prime 95 just before it crashes?

What's your temp when you're running prime 95 just before it crashes?

I forgot, since it has been a while. I think in the 70s at the most? I know, my cooler is one of the weaker ones, but hopefully i will go water cool soon.

Your CPU is getting to hot because your manual voltage is set too high IMO. I'm running a stable 4.5GHz with 1.25v and getting idle temps in low 30s, Prime95 at 61C and IntelBurnTest at 66C

Also as a test, drop your ram timings to 1333, lower voltage on cpu and run prime test.

Your CPU is getting to hot because your manual voltage is set too high IMO. I'm running a stable 4.5GHz with 1.25v and getting idle temps in low 30s, Prime95 at 61C and IntelBurnTest at 66C

Yea, I got to turn it down. I tried to setting it to a higher V to see if I can get stable at 4.5ghz then forgot about it.. oops thanks :)

Also as a test, drop your ram timings to 1333, lower voltage on cpu and run prime test.

Thanks, going to give it a try in a bit!

edit: oh yea I know it won't matter much, but room temp is 80 F (Texas :( )

Ok, I just tried overclocking it again. All the other settings the same, but I changed it to 1333 mhz same voltage, and 45 (so 4.5ghz) and it bsod right before going to the login screen. I then dropped the voltage to 2.5 and dropped to 44 and still bsod before the login screen. So I am now at 4.3ghz at 1600mhz for the ram and at 2.65v. Hmmm. :confused::(

2.65v? for your cpu or ram?
That sounds really high. Unless that was a typo (meant to say 1.65)

2.65v? for your cpu or ram?
That sounds really high. Unless that was a typo (meant to say 1.65)

Its obvious he meant to say 1.65... which is insanely high even at that. TBH, you should never go above 1.45 on anything not under water, especially if your ambient temperature is that high. Im at 4.7ghz @ 1.365v. Prime ran for 3.5 hours, max temp was 78 degrees (on one of the hottest cores) left it at that, which is perfectly fine.. Only thing unstable about my system is my video card overclock sometimes. I would stay at MOST and at all times even under load, 20 degrees from the TJMax. For reference, you should be able to get 4.2 ghz without ANY voltage increase... try 3.8ghz and if it bsod's one of your settings is wrong, or you have an unstable core.

1.65v for the ram is normal. That'll mean he's trying to achieve 1600 Mhz.

Anyways, Hafnium there are two things i'd suggest you check cos from what I've read they cause instablilty.. On the AI tweaker screen, make sure OC tuner is set to Disable, and also make sure the CPU Broad Spectrum at the very bottom is set to Disable. Then see what you get.

Aside from tinkering with your bios setting. I have two suggestions. 1) Run memtest to make sure that your ram is good; (2) What kind of heatsink are you using? Sometimes extremely heavy or overly tightened heatsinks will cause too much flex in the board and cause stability issues with the ram.

Thanks all! Manny I will give that a try in a bit, thanks for tip! Oh yea and oops LOL don't post when you are tired.. I meant to say 1.265 v for the cpu :D

Firewalker.. did you not read the first sentence in the OP? :) I am using arctic freezer 7 pro(just an ok aftermarket cooler). I doubt it is the ram since I have had the same issue when I was on 4gb gskill 1600mhz cas 8 (before I went to 8gb) but will still run a test later

edit: I tried it again and disabled the cpu spread sprectrum.. but it would bsod at 4.3ghz. Will test ram later on, but as someone said, it could be just my cpu isn't great at OC.

Last edited:
does your computer boot fine with everything running at stock?

What do you mean by fine? It works great from day 1, even on stock. Oh won't really make a difference, but it even was well before I sent in my p8p67 pro for the rev 3 one. It just can't get to 4.5 :( :p

If you haven't tried setting the primary timings manually, I would do that (9-9-9-24-2T), and put the RAM voltage to slightly above 1.5V.

Also, what slots did you install your RAM into?

Back