$25 Restaurant Gift Card for $2

pug

[H]ard|Gawd
Go to: http://www.restaurant.com/

Get, for example, a $25 gift card to a restaurant you want for $10.

Before you check out, put in the coupon code called TREATS, and get the $25 gift card for $2.

You save 80%. I have already used two of them, and they work great.

I think this expires today, Halloween.

Realize that some have a minimum purchase you have to meet. $25 cards have to have a minimum of a $35 purchase (excluding drinks). $50 is something like $100, and $100 is $200. Me, GF, and two kids have to order a sampler platter and meals just to get above the $35 at a local restaurant we go to.

Well, I ordered a handful for misc. local restaurants. None of them are places that we frequent, but a few that we've been intending to try someday. $180 total for $12.80.

Interestingly, none of the restaurants in my area had anything available except for $10 certificates. I would have preferred $25's or $50's.

Oh, just noticed that I have to print each of the certificates. Somehow I thought I was getting actual gift cards or certificates, via postal mail. :rolleyes:

Got $350 worth for $22 in Milwaukee - pretty good places too.

Thanks OP!

How does this work? I order giftcards for specific restaurants and they just mail em to me? And I have to use the GC according to each place's conditions?

Wow nice find. Unfortunately the only ones in my area I don't like. Awesome deal though.

You print out the GC, then you give it to the server at the end of the meal, they call a number and verify it, you get your cash off.

What does "18% gratuity added to full bill" and "18% gratuity added before discount" mean?

You print out the GC, then you give it to the server at the end of the meal, they call a number and verify it, you get your cash off.

and does that mean that each certificate is used once? and its gone or can you reuse the certificate again?

I tried some of these last year and got burned. Spent $12 on gift cards which were all refused at the places I took them to.

Some claim or another about a change in management and that the new management does not honor restaurant.com gift certificates. A good 10 minutes with them and they wouldn't budge. Good luck to those that get these, but fair warning.

Looks like a good deal...

I live in a major city... 5 pages of restaurants that I have never even heard of :(

I ordered 4 10 dollar ones for a place near me, just noticed though you can only use 1 certificate per month and 1 per visit and must be min 20 dollars.. certs only good for 1 year.

What does "18% gratuity added to full bill" and "18% gratuity added before discount" mean? ............ and does that mean that each certificate is used once? and its gone or can you reuse the certificate again?

"18% gratuity added to full bill" or "18% gratuity added before discount" means they will calculate 18% gratuity based on the subtotal amount before applying discount

For instance, the other night we went to Ted's Montana Grill. 4 Entrees + Appetizer + Beverages:

Subtotal = $110.00 (rounded)
Subtotal + 18% = $129.80
Less $50 coupon = $79.80
4 people eating for ~$20 a head and each of us getting a the-shit entree = fucking WIN.

They can't/won't calculate the gratuity on the pretax amount. The reason is that cheap-assed people will roll in and get $100+ worth of food, and then pay 10% on the after-discount total. This screws the server.

certs only good for 1 year.

Does the Restaurants.com site say that? Or is it part of the T's&C's from the individual retailer.

I bought $100 in certs for my brother two years ago for Christmas. They still have yet to expire.

The trick is to buy $100 in Restaurant.com credit, and then redeem the credit over time for coupons at specific restaurants as-you-use-them.

Some claim or another about a change in management and that the new management does not honor restaurant.com gift certificates. A good 10 minutes with them and they wouldn't budge. Good luck to those that get these, but fair warning.

Contact Restaurant.com customer service. Albeit sometimes it's touch-and-go, but usually their custserv people are awesome with crediting back unused certs into the account's general $$$ fund. They'll also de-list restaurants that are dickbags about the discounts.

Well, I ordered a handful for misc. local restaurants. None of them are places that we frequent, but a few that we've been intending to try someday. $180 total for $12.80.

Interestingly, none of the restaurants in my area had anything available except for $10 certificates. I would have preferred $25's or $50's.

Oh, just noticed that I have to print each of the certificates. Somehow I thought I was getting actual gift cards or certificates, via postal mail. :rolleyes:

The nice thing is that it's upon the server/staff at the restaurant to call in the authentication code from the printed certificate in order to redeem the coupon. When they DO call in the auth code, then the coupon gets invalidated, and the dollar amount gets deducted from your Restaurant.com account.

Here's the kicker: if they (the restaurant) DON'T call in the auth. code from the certificate, then after 90 days the coupon code is invalidated and the charge against your account is reversed.
i.e. you get the dollar amount returned to your account.
This is very YMMV, since it's upon whether or not the establishment calls in the auth code, but it's very possible to get more than your money's worth out of Restaurant.com in this fashion.

The 1 yr expiration was listed on the restaurants.com terms, I saw that too.

You can order generic restraurant.com credit? How? Do the same limitations apply for each restaurant?

I've bought these a few times, and it's a great deal when it works. I've come across a couple problems, though:

The first problem was the restraunt not accepting the coupon. It's within their right as it's not a gift card, it is a coupon. You're not going to get something in the mail -- you print it out.

The second problem was trying out a new restraunt and finding that it was closed. This was more my fault than theirs, but if a restraunt is actually out of business they shouldn't be selling coupons for it -- but they were.

If you're going to buy one of these, it might be worth giving the restraunt a call before making the purchase. Just make sure they'll accept it, and more importantly, they're still in business!

I think the best way is to order a gift certificate for myself so I can pick and chose later. Do I order one large certificate or should I break it down to alot of smaller ones? Do the gift certificates operate like typical GCs where the amount is deducted each time and you can keep charging the same certificate until it bottoms out?

Update - Screw it, bought 3x100$ for 24$. Hope this works.

How does this work? I order giftcards for specific restaurants and they just mail em to me? And I have to use the GC according to each place's conditions?

you need to use the dialing wand to dial information

The trick is to buy $100 in Restaurant.com credit, and then redeem the credit over time for coupons at specific restaurants as-you-use-them.

Very good suggestion. Its in the center of the first page (Visit Our Gift Center). I am fairly new to them so I would buy a lot smaller amount than that (and I am very picky about where I eat). My experience with them has been good so far but I would rather put up a lot less.

Contact Restaurant.com customer service. Albeit sometimes it's touch-and-go, but usually their custserv people are awesome with crediting back unused certs into the account's general $$$ fund. They'll also de-list restaurants that are dickbags about the discounts.

Yes, it appears to be very good. One restaurant I bought a cert for opted out of the program and they (restaurant.com) emailed me BEFORE I used it and told me I could exchange it for another restaurant.

You are supposed to give it to them before you place your order. Plus, it just makes sense to do it that way in case they don't want to accept it.

I think the best way is to order a gift certificate for myself so I can pick and chose later. Do I order one large certificate or should I break it down to alot of smaller ones? Do the gift certificates operate like typical GCs where the amount is deducted each time and you can keep charging the same certificate until it bottoms out?

Update - Screw it, bought 3x100$ for 24$. Hope this works.

The quanty you buy should depend on how much you plan on spending. I know, thats ounds like a "duh" response...

They require a minimum purchase. So if you plan on taking one other person along, and you're going to spend $50-60, then you don't want the $100 coupons becuase they will most likely have a $100+ minimum requirement. You might want the $50 coupon, and pad your meal with an extra appetizer or some drinks to get into the range where you can use the coupon.

With the $100 coupons, you might need to spend $120-130 before you can use them. It will tell you the minimum on the page you picked the coupon. It changes when you select a differnet amount as well.

I thought 100$ gift certificates meant I can break it down. Shit!

I tried calling but the line was always busy.

Im going to email them to ask if they can modify it to smaller amounts. This is stupid, they should work like gift cards. I tried reading the terms but it was a wall of text that I couldnt understand.

No. When you select a restaurant, each one has its own terms. Usually on the upper left corner. The $25 certs are usually $35 minimum order. The higher ones are usually double (like $50 has a $100 minimum order). Apart from that there is usually 18% tip added to the pre-cert amount. Some have time restrictions (like good after 6pm only) or "not good on combo platters". You have to read each restaurants (of the ones you actually are considering) restrictions and see if you OK with them

Well when you buy the generic gift certifcate that you redeem, you are forced to get the maximum possible GC from each restaurant that is offered (that is within your GC's price). For most of the places its 25$, but for one place im looking at, I have to buy the 100$ one, which is frustrating.

Its alright I guess, 80% of the places I bookmarked are maxed out at the amount I want. Only this french place is forcing me to bring 5-6 friends. I might just get a few 25$ ones since they are only 2$/pop

Well when you buy the generic gift certifcate that you redeem, you are forced to get the maximum possible GC from each restaurant that is offered (that is within your GC's price). For most of the places its 25$, but for one place im looking at, I have to buy the 100$ one, which is frustrating.

Didn't know that. Can one buy several $2 generic gift certificates?

Ya, i decided to get some 4x25$ ones too. I mean, its only 2$/pop. So total of 32$ for 400$ of gift certificates total. They dont expire on their own, but I think redeemed "specific" GCs expire after a year. Oh well.

fatlazyhomer said:
Hey, you seem pretty experienced with this. Im not sure which places I want to go or which ones accepts it. You said something about a generic giftcard that works everywhere. Can it be reused over and over? How do I order it? Is it the gift certificate? Thanks

There's an option to buy gift certificates for the Restaurant(dot)com website (hereafter referred to as certs), where the certs are giftable to someone else.

The Restaurant(dot)com certs are credit good on the Restaurant(dot)com site which the recipient can use towards purchasing coupons at a restaurant of the recipient's choice.

So, what's to stop you from buying yourself some Restaurant(dot)com website gift certificates at the current low rate, and then redeeming them whenever you're ready for cheapo eats?

DD

FYI.. i bought 2 gift card from them.. and all u do is printout the confirmation recieve... me and my g/f went to the restaurant and they only let me use 1 gift card per day.. that is so gay.. unless my g/f seat different table!!! and the waiter/owner treat u different then other costumer

the VERY FIRST term:

• Limit one (1) redemption per party, per month, per restaurant.

maybe they treated you different because they thought you were abusing an already generous offer

Back