$25 Portable Standing Desk

HardOCP News

[H] News
I really like this idea. The best part is the price. If you don't like it or don't find it useful, you aren't out a bunch of money. Then again, a cardboard box would probably be just as effective and those can be found everywhere for free.

They cut out the part of the video where the guy turned to accept a cup of coffee, bumped the "desk" and dumped his MACBook Pro right onto the floor.

They cut out the part of the video where the guy turned to accept a cup of coffee, bumped the "desk" and dumped his MACBook Pro right onto the floor.

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't look too sturdy. I'd hesitate to put my development MBP on a painted cardboard box that is designed to fold.

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't look too sturdy. I'd hesitate to put my development MBP on a painted cardboard box that is designed to fold.

Yea I would imagine it can't fold/unfold too many times as with any corrugated paper board, it will degrade under use. Moisture also isn't its best friend.

That is like $4 worth of materials, im sure a pattern will show up online soon enough lol.

But then again, once you have purchased your MBP, Apple KB and Mouse you might only be able to scrape up $25 for a standing desk....

I friend saw something even worse. He was flying on business, they had just hit cruising altitude and could use electronic devices again. The guy across the aisle had opened his new MACBook Air and had it sitting on the seat-backed tray. Problem came when the passenger in the seat in front of him reclined the seat, the latch for the seat-backed tray caught on the laptop screen and it just shattered the laptop display. I'm betting it was a retina display, but that's just cause it fits best with the overall disaster. My friend said the guy was so shocked he just sat there with his hands up, never said a word at all. Eventually he just did his best to close it up and put it back in his backback, he didn't say a word the entire flight accept to the flight attendant. Perhaps he bought that extra warranty from Geek Squad :D

I friend saw something even worse. He was flying on business, they had just hit cruising altitude and could use electronic devices again. The guy across the aisle had opened his new MACBook Air and had it sitting on the seat-backed tray. Problem came when the passenger in the seat in front of him reclined the seat, the latch for the seat-backed tray caught on the laptop screen and it just shattered the laptop display. I'm betting it was a retina display, but that's just cause it fits best with the overall disaster. My friend said the guy was so shocked he just sat there with his hands up, never said a word at all. Eventually he just did his best to close it up and put it back in his backback, he didn't say a word the entire flight accept to the flight attendant. Perhaps he bought that extra warranty from Geek Squad :D

That would suck. At least he wasn't the one to blame everyone but himself for the mishap. We all know those types haha.

Eventually he just did his best to close it up and put it back in his backback, he didn't say a word the entire flight accept to the flight attendant. Perhaps he bought that extra warranty from Geek Squad :D

He probably sobbed for an hour once he checked in to his hotel. Or kicked some puppies afterwards.

The monitors I have at work would crush this cardboard box by themselves. Let alone the mouse and keyboard.

I almost had that happen. The guy started leaning back and the top of my laptop screen caught under the locking mechanism that holds the seat tray. I saw what was happening so I pushed his seat forward and tilted my screen down.

These cheap one-off hipster inventions bother me for some reason, haha.

That said, I'd like an actual convertible standing desk at some point.

IDK might be me, but the guy in the video looks like he can be a pirate wearing that shirt.

Back