25% off of the Dell U3011 currently

I'm thinking about returning my Dell U2410 and picking up the U2711. My only concern is the resolution of the U2711. My eye sight is not the best. Is the high resolution on this monitor really tiny? I mean is the text and fonts really small compared to say the U2410? I would like to get it, but if I have problems reading text and seeing stuff I'll stick with my U2410. I know games would look awesome on it, but I only game about 20% of the time, while the rest is web surfing and email..

Pixels should be about 15% smaller on a 27" 2560x1440 vs. a 24" 1920x1200 per: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch#Common_dot_pitches_in_monitors

Wow that is pretty small then. I will stick with my U2410....I also forgot if I go to the U2711 I would also have to up my GPU so that would be another $300-400 forget that...

Where did you score this at?
and what is the warranty on a refurb?

thanks

From Dell, they have an "outlet" portion on their site. Occasionally the U3011 comes up. Even for a refurb though, it looked like brand new condition. No problems thus far.

Agree. Everything I've purchased from the outlet has been as if it were brand new (so far 1 laptop, 1 XPS desktop, 2 monitors)

Wow that is pretty small then. I will stick with my U2410....I also forgot if I go to the U2711 I would also have to up my GPU so that would be another $300-400 forget that...

Yeah, I have pretty decent vision and it was borderline too small. Bumping up the text sized helped, but not all applications follow that. You should go all the way and get the U3011 :)

What games and what do you mean by not acceptable? Ok, there's a point, new games can't be maxed at this resolution on one card, but I gotta say the difference can't be great. Turn down the anti aliasing, you'll be fine. I swear.

I think you mean completely turn off AA. I usually have it disabled. Metro 2033 has dips down to 25 FPS at some points. Crysis also has similar issues.

I tried metro 2033 with just a single 6950 @ 6970 and I got nearly half the FPS. It was unplayable at max settings with whatever the lowest AA setting was.

I find it interesting that 30" screens have barely decreased in price over the last year or two, compared to just about everything else. :eek:

I'm still annoyed that there isn't a single-card solution for 2560x1600. Even a 580 is insufficient for 2560x1600 at max..

Maybe the 6990/590 will be.

This was kind of my thought process when I quoted the $500 for a new gpu, I had a 580 in mind as the king of single chip solutions. I find it hard to go from a 24" maxed on my 5850 which runs fairly well on the games I play (BCII, SCII, TF2-cake) to go to a 30" where I would have to dial it way down. I spend most of my time on desktop but plenty of time gaming to justify a new gpu coupled with a monitor like that. It would be nice to actually see what my games would look like on a 6970 on this monitor at different settings.

if the 30" were $850, I think that would be the best deal of the entire history of [H] ;)

AT $850 for a U3011, I'd buy three with no hesitation (none).

:D:D:D
And still... you both did not answered my question! Thanks :D

30" monitors are fuckin awesome. if you get something smaller, then later on youll go "man i wish i had gone bigger." with a 30 inch, youve got the biggest, and theres no chance of second guessing yourself. if you have to mortgage your house, or decide whether to feed your kids or buy a 30" screen, then ffs you dont need a 30"er. but if you have the money, its a superb buy. :)
OK, also cool but, if there are multiple 37's & 42's inchers out there, which are TV/Monitors and priced at 400 to 500 bucks... why is the 30" better at 350 bucks more?

Oh and I was saying 850 if the 25% off thingy was true ;)

Because those bigger screens are TVs, not monitors. Good luck using 1080p on a massive HDTV up close.

OK, also cool but, if there are multiple 37's & 42's inchers out there, which are TV/Monitors and priced at 400 to 500 bucks... why is the 30" better at 350 bucks more?

Resolution. The U3011 has nearly double the number of pixels that a 1080p 37" or 42" will have.

Depending on the viewing distance and visual sensitivity of the viewer, a 37" or 42" TV won't work as well nor look nearly as good (IMO). That was the case for me, I tried out my friend's setup and it just didn't look good at all to me. To me my u2711 had a much better image quality than his 42".

If you enjoy a giant view and don't care about the resolution or pixel density then yes, the 37" or 42" will work better for you.

And still... you both did not answered my question! Thanks :D

the u3011 IS 25% off. its normally $1500, and right now its marked down to $1125. if it were $850, it would be half off. thats why they didnt answer your question, because it didnt make sense. $850 is what you might be able to pick up an older model 30"er for in FS/FT, not the latest model new from dell.com. and the difference like matrices said is the resolution. at a computer you sit a couple feet from the screen, and you have 2560x1600 pixels, or ~4.1 million pixels. with a tv, you sit 15-30 feet away, and you have 1920x1080 pixels, or ~2.1 million pixels. so as you can see, closer up and twice as many pixels means youre getting a much clearer image. plus, this is a high quality IPS panel with low latency and blah blah gaming specs, whereas a tv isnt very good for gaming because it just isnt designed for it.

I have a feeling I'll end up getting two more of these and then I'll be lamenting my inability to game on three 30s...

what a vicious cycle...

Resolution. The U3011 has nearly double the number of pixels that a 1080p 37" or 42" will have.

Depending on the viewing distance and visual sensitivity of the viewer, a 37" or 42" TV won't work as well nor look nearly as good (IMO). That was the case for me, I tried out my friend's setup and it just didn't look good at all to me. To me my u2711 had a much better image quality than his 42".

If you enjoy a giant view and don't care about the resolution or pixel density then yes, the 37" or 42" will work better for you.
Thank you very much, that was the answer I was looking for.

I have a 22: LCD monitor that does what I need and even though I game, I am not a gamernut or Heavy Gamer so I am ok.

I do need to upgrade my old 36" CRT TV, 1.- because it getting long in the tooth and at 480i, I can barely keep up with what is out there now. 2.- and the most important part, I do enjoy watching live motorcycle racing (and also some soccer that we don't get here live) and I would love to watch it from the comfort of my bed/TV and not my 22" LCD monitor, hence, the need to look for something bigger than a 36" but smaller than 42" as a TV that can also be a monitor in some cases.

I could do that with a 37 or a 42 LCD/HDTV, right? if so... can you guys recommend one? this is very confusing :eek: :(

Oh and, sorry for the 850 clams confusion, I thought you would get a 25% off from the price it was listed.

I have a feeling I'll end up getting two more of these and then I'll be lamenting my inability to game on three 30s...

what a vicious cycle...

Wouldn't be too hard to pull off, if only we had access to that cheap new Hazro (spelling?) 30" model they've got in the UK now.

Thank you very much, that was the answer I was looking for.

I have a 22: LCD monitor that does what I need and even though I game, I am not a gamernut or Heavy Gamer so I am ok.

I do need to upgrade my old 36" CRT TV, 1.- because it getting long in the tooth and at 480i, I can barely keep up with what is out there now. 2.- and the most important part, I do enjoy watching live motorcycle racing (and also some soccer that we don't get here live) and I would love to watch it from the comfort of my bed/TV and not my 22" LCD monitor, hence, the need to look for something bigger than a 36" but smaller than 42" as a TV that can also be a monitor in some cases.

I could do that with a 37 or a 42 LCD/HDTV, right? if so... can you guys recommend one? this is very confusing :eek: :(

Oh and, sorry for the 850 clams confusion, I thought you would get a 25% off from the price it was listed.

How close would you be sitting to the monitor/tv? That is a large factor in whether a TV would work well as a monitor.

How close would you be sitting to the monitor/tv? That is a large factor in whether a TV would work well as a monitor.
10 to 12 feet... this will be the TV that sits in my room, I have a king size bed and then there's like 3 or 4 feet of space so... plenty.

What I have now is my computer to one side of the room, component or hdmi cable from the pc could run up to the TV (whatever is better, another thing I may need help deciding) and once the motorcycke race/soccer game starts streaming on the PC, I could easily be watching on my TV from my bed instead of 1 feet away on the 22" LCD monitor :D

I currently have an EVGA GTX260 + 9500GT card on my rig... I am hoping those two should be enough?

yeah those cards would be fine. sounds like youd be better off with a tv. the pixel density of a u3011 would be wasted at that distance, and youre watching tv thats at 1080p max anyway. go with hdmi over component. i assume you have an hdmi port on one of those cards or at least a dvi>hdmi adapter you can use. you wont be able to send audio over hdmi from either of those cards, so you'll have to just keep using your computer speakers or else get a newer card that supports audio over hdmi. probably not worth it since your computer speakers are likely better than the speakers would be in whatever tv you end up buying, it just might sound like its coming from the side instead of coming from the tv. :/

yeah those cards would be fine. sounds like youd be better off with a tv. the pixel density of a u3011 would be wasted at that distance, and youre watching tv thats at 1080p max anyway. go with hdmi over component. i assume you have an hdmi port on one of those cards or at least a dvi>hdmi adapter you can use. you wont be able to send audio over hdmi from either of those cards, so you'll have to just keep using your computer speakers or else get a newer card that supports audio over hdmi. probably not worth it since your computer speakers are likely better than the speakers would be in whatever tv you end up buying, it just might sound like its coming from the side instead of coming from the tv. :/
OK, thank you ekuest... now to try to find a TV amongst the Atlantic Ocean of TV choices... part of the reason why I haven't pull the plug on a widescreen LCD TV yet :(

I do believe one of my cards or my board comes with hdmi, if not, I'll buy an adapter for sure. I also have the Logitech Z5500 system connected to my PC and also to my TV so audio wouldn't be a problem at all.

I'm always looking for moar moar!

Currently I have a 3007. I know the 3011 is better with specs, but is real life interaction justify the replacement?

FWIW - I'd never consider a 3011 to be an upgrade from my 3007, which is (still) simply the finest LCD panel ever. Low input lag FTW.

Doesn't matter now anyway - it expired midnight last night.

Was about to pull the trigger this morning but in hindsight glad I didn't - as I really didn't NEED another monitor, regardless of how nice.

Actually - the deal closed at 7am yesterday (17 March). I went for the 27" instead of the 30 as I have dreams of an eyefinity setup and can't see how 3x30 will fit on my new desk (not to mention the price difference).

The money I "saved" on the 27" can fund another 6950 :)

Gaming on a 4mp 30" parked a foot from your face is a dream come true... I will never again subject my eyes to any lower resolution. 1080p can kiss my ass.

This was kind of my thought process when I quoted the $500 for a new gpu, I had a 580 in mind as the king of single chip solutions. I find it hard to go from a 24" maxed on my 5850 which runs fairly well on the games I play (BCII, SCII, TF2-cake) to go to a 30" where I would have to dial it way down. I spend most of my time on desktop but plenty of time gaming to justify a new gpu coupled with a monitor like that. It would be nice to actually see what my games would look like on a 6970 on this monitor at different settings.

I wouldnt say dial wayyy down. I can play on my 3007fwp SCII on full ultra at native on a 6870. Sure theres no AA and such but most of the games i play (SCII, LoL) all limit the FoV and the pixel density is high enough to where i dont really notice any gains with AA/AF

I play games like LoL, DoW2, SC2, L4D2, TF2 and WoW all at max res and almost all maxed settings on my single 6970 (non OC). WoW does stress the video card in Org when I swing the camera around as I change direction when I'm flying (low 20 FPS) but honestly, for all the eye candy while I'm raiding I'll deal with those minor annoyances

I'm so VERY VERY happy I decided to go with the extra vertical space the 30" offered over the 27". I will always go with 16x10. Even my old Dell E228WFPc 22" was 16x10 and I didn't even realize it until I started researching for this upgrade.

Watching Blu-ray on this monitor up close is even better than my brand new Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 (which is still awesome in its own right)

Moving from 1680x1050 to 2560x1600 in WoW, I scaled back AA to 2x from 8x and AF to 2x (doesn't seem to make a whole lot of visual quality difference in WoW) and if anything, my frame rates went up. I play with everything maxed except for shadows, which I think just makes WoW look darker and have never really liked.

Back