25% off of the Dell U3011 currently

notarat

2[H]4U
if you use the coupon code on Dell's site for the 27" and 24" LCDs.

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Thinking of ordering 2 more at that price...

Link? Code? A little help here. All this is right now is a "Look at me, I'm a big shot" thread.

This thread post is lacking information!

So whats the total cost then? Excluding the shipping fee that I am assuming you have to pay.

From Slickdeals:

Dell UltraSharp IPS Monitors
Dell Home is offering 25% off select Dell UltraSharp IPS Monitors with
Coupon Code: N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ (Exp 3/17) . Tax in most.
Prices after 25% off Coupon Code: N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ (Exp 3/17)

Dell UltraSharp U2211H 21.5" E-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920x1080) for $209.25 Free Shipping [dell.com]

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" E-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920x1080) for $239.25 Free Shipping [dell.com]

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" H-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920x1200) for $449.25 Free Shipping [dell.com]

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" H-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (2560x1440) for $824.25 Free Shipping [dell.com]

Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" IPS LCD Monitor (2560x1600) for $1124.25 Free Shipping [dell.com]

School a noob please because at 850.00 clams, a 30" monitor is just WAY to expensive and rich on my wallet-&-blood radar

School a noob please because at 850.00 clams, a 30" monitor is just WAY to expensive and rich on my wallet-&-blood radar

if the 30" were $850, I think that would be the best deal of the entire history of [H] ;)

How soon might we expect to see Dell roll out LED-backlit panels? Even at $850 the U2711 isn't quite appealing enough, and I'm hoping to see it closer to $600. Is there any information out there yet?

30" monitors are fuckin awesome. if you get something smaller, then later on youll go "man i wish i had gone bigger." with a 30 inch, youve got the biggest, and theres no chance of second guessing yourself. if you have to mortgage your house, or decide whether to feed your kids or buy a 30" screen, then ffs you dont need a 30"er. but if you have the money, its a superb buy. :)

Once you go 30" you will never look back - single greatest improvement you can make, assuming you have the GPU horsepower to run it!

I agree, I sprung for a refurb U3011 and while it was $950, it was probably the best "PC" centric buy I've made. Great monitor, perfect size. At first it's almost overwhelming, but as time goes on it starts "shrinking". I think if I were to have got a 27" I'd feel a little regret not getting a 30" one. Not to say that a 27" wouldn't be a great monitor...

I would have gotten the 27" myself, but the 27 is a 16x9 ratio which I hate. So instead of downgrading to the 24" I decided to go up to the 30" which are both 16x10 and I'm loving every moment of it. Worth every penny IMO.

I agree, I sprung for a refurb U3011 and while it was $950, it was probably the best "PC" centric buy I've made. Great monitor, perfect size. At first it's almost overwhelming, but as time goes on it starts "shrinking". I think if I were to have got a 27" I'd feel a little regret not getting a 30" one. Not to say that a 27" wouldn't be a great monitor...

Where did you score this at?
and what is the warranty on a refurb?

thanks

I don't believe in second-best when it comes to monitors. 30" for certain. I'd rather spend $1100 and be completely happy than spend $800 and still left smacking my lips.

...assuming you have the GPU horsepower to run it!

AHA! And there is my dilemma. I said it the last time this went on sale. I have the money, have the lust, but I don't want to buy each new generation of gpu each time one comes out to push the thing. I mean, it would be fantastic on the desktop getting things done but once I fire up a game my gpu would just wish it were dead. I have a 5850 Toxic and if I bought this beast I might as well tack on another $500 for a gpu. Am I crazy for wanting it all?

AHA! And there is my dilemma. I said it the last time this went on sale. I have the money, have the lust, but I don't want to buy each new generation of gpu each time one comes out to push the thing. I mean, it would be fantastic on the desktop getting things done but once I fire up a game my gpu would just wish it were dead. I have a 5850 Toxic and if I bought this beast I might as well tack on another $500 for a gpu. Am I crazy for wanting it all?

The monitor will last. GPUs will never last. (well, from my POV).

$500? Why?
A 6970 will run nearly every game currently out at full settings playably on this screen and is at ~330.

Then your 5850 should net you at least $100 in resale if newegg prices can be trusted, so you've over shot the number by 100%. Normally I would have accepted your point and moved on, but man was that a gross exaggeration.

Edit: Oh, and also, who says you HAVE to play every game fullscreen, full resolution, full settings (which is the only way you have any point). If that's something you insist on doing, then yes, you're going to buy into a lot of different generations of gpu. What does that have to do with the monitor?

Whew. Well, there's my take home from work rage for the day. Anywho, it's a nice monitor. I at no point was overwhelmed by the size as everyone seems to insist you will be, but I DO love how much I can have on the screen at usable sizes. And being able to game at a reasonable size while keeping other windows open adjacent with just one great for movies monitor.

Last edited:
Once you go 30" you will never look back - single greatest improvement you can make, assuming you have the GPU horsepower to run it!

So true on both counts. After I bought the monitor, I realized I had no choice but to buy my video cards and a new motherboard to support them. I got my U3011 30% off a couple months ago.

I played games on my Dell 3008 with a single GTX 285 and it did a very nice job. Sure, I couldn't play at 16x AA with all the goodies cranked to max, but the 285 handled the full 2560x1600 quite well. Crossfire your 5850 or sell it and spend $250 on a 6950 and unlock it. A $500 GPU is great but not a necessity to enjoy gaming on a 30" LCD.

I've been planning to replace my 3008 with an HP ZR30w because it was so much cheaper than the 3011, but these 25% coupons are great equalizers. Just need to decide whether to buy now or wait til summer.

Last edited:
Damn it I really did not need to know about this coupon. I could get another (or 2...) U2311H... and cheaper than the last one.

A single 6970 would run the 30" at good settings? If I sell my 2 480s for a new cheaper card maybe I can squeeze out the upgrade to 30" over 27"

A single 6950 with a 6970 bios (full bios when I had just the one) was not acceptable for me in many newer games.

I'm thinking about returning my Dell U2410 and picking up the U2711. My only concern is the resolution of the U2711. My eye sight is not the best. Is the high resolution on this monitor really tiny? I mean is the text and fonts really small compared to say the U2410? I would like to get it, but if I have problems reading text and seeing stuff I'll stick with my U2410. I know games would look awesome on it, but I only game about 20% of the time, while the rest is web surfing and email..

if you use the coupon code on Dell's site for the 27" and 24" LCDs.

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Thinking of ordering 2 more at that price...

You should learn how to post in Hot deals. Put a link to the deal, paste the coupon code, and most importantly the price of the deal!

I had 3 U2410 in eyefinity and switched to a PLP with a U3011 and 2 2007FPs. For me hands down U3011 is the better setup. Plus I scored a BNIB one for $1000 ;P

While my 5870 runs most games without issue most newer titles cannot be run full bore without issues. BFBC2 and Civ 5 cannot be maxed.

Still given the choice between the 27 and 30 I would spend the extra duckets on the 30".

The monitor will last. GPUs will never last. (well, from my POV).

This is true. Bought a 2001FP in 2004 and only recently replaced it with the 3008WFP. When I got it, the GPU I had would only push XGA properly in 3D. Driving UXGA with a 5870 was just too easy. Turns out it's about perfect for WQXGA for every game I play.

And the 2001FP, with a more modern stand, is going to be serving as a sidecar screen for code. It's still got plenty of life left.

Overkill is just enough.

A single 6950 with a 6970 bios (full bios when I had just the one) was not acceptable for me in many newer games.

What games and what do you mean by not acceptable? Ok, there's a point, new games can't be maxed at this resolution on one card, but I gotta say the difference can't be great. Turn down the anti aliasing, you'll be fine. I swear.

I'm still annoyed that there isn't a single-card solution for 2560x1600. Even a 580 is insufficient for 2560x1600 at max..

Maybe the 6990/590 will be.

Back