24Volts 15amp output from PSU?

Hyperian

Limp Gawd
ok so i need to power a motor that is rated at 24V 15.5amp max. I have a 600watt PSU that has a 12V 15Amps and a -12V .3amp connection.

would the PSU supply 15.3Amps if i hook the -12V to the ground and 12V to the 24V input on the motor? (i dont know internal circuitry of a PSU)

or would the PSU blow up in my face?

If the -12V rail was rated for 15A, then it *might* be possible, depending on the topology of the power supply. You have to go with whichever is rated the least. So in this case you could get 24V, but only at 0.3 A, and that's assuming your PSU is rated right.

If you have *two* PSUs, what you can do is remove each from its casing, connect the 12V of PSU 1 to the GND of PSU 2, and that will give you 24V between the 12V of PSU2 and GND of PSU1. That assumes, however, that the secondaries on both PSUs are isolated from the primaries, particularly WRT the ground lines.

15.3A is still not 15.5A... I wouldn't use anything capable of less than 20A to power that motor. The start-up surge is what the rating is for. If you could give the motor a mechanical boost to start it, then you could in theory power it with 15A.

That -12V rail is not rated for that kind of amperage to be running through it. You essentially would have the two rails in series, their current ratings are not additive in that configuration. 15A would be running through the -12v rail.

If you had a second PSU, you could make it work.

Back