24inch lcd for graphic design work/gaming?

Racasdorph

n00b
Hello everyone,
I am currently a junior at a university studying graphic design i am also building a new computer. I love gaming, but I also do alot of work with photoshop, illustrator and Ndesign.

im not wanting to spend anywhere near 1,000$ on a lcd... I recently purchesed the Gateway FHD2400... I know it is a TN panel and wow... I dont think I can use TN panels... the backlight bleed was HORRIBLE... and the viewing angles were just as bad... im on my 2nd one now and I have figured that FHD2400 being a TN panel just suffers these characteristics..

So i am looking for a 24inch lcd... color accuracy being most important, but letting me still have a good experice when gaming :)

I am looking at the NEC LCD2470WNX... i have read it is an 8bit panel with a 6ms GtG response time... is this what im looking for? I also dont like matte screens and I believe the NEC has a glossy look?

Any other recommendations?

If color accuracy is important you should be getting no less than an IPS panel. The NEC 90 series would be a good choice, but not within your budget. Apple of course has the 23" ACD, but that panel is a little old.

Also, if color is important you should stay away from glossy IMO.

what type of panel is the NEC LCD2470WNX? its an 8bit right? its not a TN or IPS is it?

You can consider the Acer AL2416WBsd:
24" 1920x1200, contrast ratio 1000:1, brightness 400 cd/m2, 6ms response,160 degree viewing, DVI-D/VGA inputs with HDCP.
It got quite nice reviews.

You can consider the Acer AL2416WBsd:
24" 1920x1200, contrast ratio 1000:1, brightness 400 cd/m2, 6ms response,160 degree viewing, DVI-D/VGA inputs with HDCP.
It got quite nice reviews.

Ummm...those aren't reviews, but impressions. The AL2416WBsd is a 6 bit TN panel, not suitable for a soon-2-be Graphics professional. It's a cheap consumer monitor. Racasdorph has already played the TN tune with the 2400.

The NEC LCD2470WNX uses a Samsung S-PVA 8 bit panel with a 10 bit LUT. It's a much better choice for graphic work than the Acer due to NEC's excellent calibration options. The NEC passes the UGRA test after calibration. Prad gives it a 'GOOD' rating here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-nec-lcd2470wnx.html

And it's under $1K, unlike it's IPS relatives, the 2490wuxi and 2690wuxi.

But if gaming is of equal importance to graphic design, you might consider the BenQ 241W (8 bit P-MVA) as it calibrates well and has less lag the 2470. And it's a bit cheaper. $550 or so from NCIX.

Thank you Clockdogg, i do have a quick question tho...

I have heard that the BenQ has a black out problem... is this true?

I have heard wounderful things about NEC... are they a better quality company than BenQ? Ill have to search the input lag on the BenQ but i thought it was the same as the NEC at 6ms...

Some peeps have had the 1 second blackout, many haven't. Seems to be a system config issue. Not happened on my 241W, knock on liquid crystal. I like the 241W as a good all round, cost effective monitor. I use it mainly for coding and video editing.

Input lag is different than Response Time, which is the 6ms number. Lag is the measurement of the frame buffering and DSP stuff (Overdrive) the electronics do before the pixels get turned on/off. The reviews are a little critical of the overdrive that leaves creates some artifacts. However, if you check the 2470 thread here, most users do not seem bothered by it.

So, the NEC would be my 1st choice for serious graphic work and some game play. Well, 2nd choice after the 2490wuxi!

NEC is one of the top 3 pro monitor companies with a stellar reputation. BenQ is a 6 year old marketing machine who made a great monitor once and now have discontinued it. I expect they will return to their regularly scheduled consumer models.

haha if only the NEC 2490wuxi was not so dang expensive! Thanks so much for the input, after that horrible TN panel Gateway FHD2400... i think im going to go with the NEC 2470 :)

I have one final question, do you know if it has that glossy screen finish? i really like that touch!

haha if only the NEC 2490wuxi was not so dang expensive! Thanks so much for the input, after that horrible TN panel Gateway FHD2400... i think im going to go with the NEC 2470 :)

I have one final question, do you know if it has that glossy screen finish? i really like that touch!
Nope. 20WMGX2 has the glossy Opticlear coating. It does look good, but is frowned upon in graphic Pro circles. Hey..the 20WMGX2 would make a great 2nd monitor for you. Newegg has them back in stock again, too. Man, it's fun spending your money!

check out the Soyo 24 inch 8 bit panel. $299. Put a glossy plastic screen over it. Haha.

People are also talking about an Acer 8 bit panel bought from BB clearance.

Thank you Clockdogg, i do have a quick question tho...

I have heard that the BenQ has a black out problem... is this true?

I have heard wounderful things about NEC... are they a better quality company than BenQ? Ill have to search the input lag on the BenQ but i thought it was the same as the NEC at 6ms...

the blackout problems from the benq 241w were first mainly associated with ATi cards - i had the problem with my x1900xt cards myself, but then went to an nvidia card, and no more blackout problem.

they may have fixed this altogether through recent firmware updates.

Back