• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

240v ups at home

bds1904

Gawd
Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
1,007
So as side from the required wiring, are there any disadvantages to running a 208-240v 60hz ups at home? The setup would be for server hardware only so I'm not concerned about incompatibilities with consumer grade hardware.

Currently I have 2 UPS's running a total of 1200w peak load, 800w average. I would like to repurpose the 2 ups's and move to a single rackmount ups. I have been seeing some really good deals on Eaton 220/230/240v ups's. With the wattage capacity of the eaton ups as well as the ability to add additional batteries I don't see myself outgrowing it anytime soon. Even with a genset I prefer to allow 200% of average required shutdown time in case of a failure to start.

All the server hardware specs 120-240v 50/60hz. Is there any disadvantage to running at the higher voltage of 1ph 240v us power? Is there any real advantage?

My genset is a generac quietsource 240v water cooled generator so I don't have an issue with powering the unit with clean power during an outage.
 
have a link to the exact ups? be helpful to look at the model your talking about
 
Looks good actually....what kind of prices you finding
 
No real downside to 240VAC just don't get whacked by it.

Upside is you generally can run lower gauge wire (less installation cost over long distances). Just make sure the wire can handle the amperage of the breaker it's attached to.
 
Looks good actually....what kind of prices you finding

$180-250 shipped for 240V when you can find it, with batteries.

I'm wondering if the PSU's could actually be a few percent more efficient running at a higher voltage. I know datadenters switched to higher voltages back in the day because of cost savings but i know 120v is still common today. I think an in-depth look into this could be interesting.
 
Last edited:
datadenters

Now there's an amusing mental image. Super tiny people/things/other with little hammers whacking away at the magnetic fields on the hard drives.
(yes i'm aware that's a typo, however it was a rather amusing one)
 
So as side from the required wiring, are there any disadvantages to running a 208-240v 60hz ups at home? The setup would be for server hardware only so I'm not concerned about incompatibilities with consumer grade hardware.

Higher voltage is more efficient and they use 3 phase lines to get it to 480V which is even better. Most equipment will work from 100-250V so the voltage should not matter at all. Even AC's and refrigerators now come with wide ranging voltage window. My samsung refrigerator works from 80-260V.. SMPS power the computer using the frequency and not the voltage so it dont actually matter. The lower the voltage the higher the line loss and higher your power bill.
 
Back
Top