2407WFP vs LCD HDTVs

rcrez

Limp Gawd
My understanding that the difference between a LCD monitor and an LCD HDTV is that HDTVs tend to be brighter with better contrast ratios

I am looking at the specs on the 2407WFP and it says:
Image Brightness 450 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 1000:1

Now lets take a standard HDTV of a similar size say the 23" LCD HDTV from Philips (26 customer reviews on amazon, 4 out 5 stars average review). http://www.amazon.com/Philips-23PF5.../B000AD09IA/ref=de_a_smtd/103-5468563-7354261

The specs say:
Brightness: 500 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 450:1

So the dell computer display LCD is almost as bright as has a better contrast ratio than the Philips LCD HDTV?

Is that really the case? So are computer display LCDs almost as good as LCD HDTV displays? My 2005WFP hooked up to a Samsung HDTV tuner box doesn't seem to be nearly as bright as a real LCD HDTV...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
TV
1366 x 768
16:9 ratio

Monitor
1920x1200
16:10 ratio

The TV probably also has built in speakers, a TV tuner, and comes with a remote control.

So are you saying the computer display is superior to the TV?

Lets say I
1) don't want to use the built-in speakers
2) don't plan on using the NTSC tuner (I have my own separate box)
3) don't mind that for a 16:10 display, I will only be using 90% of the veritical height (16:9)
4) don't care about the remote

is the dell computer 24" LCD in every other way (particularly picture quality wise) superior to a LCD HDTV?

So are you saying the computer display is superior to the TV?

EEK don't pull that from my post. I have a BenQ 24"er, and have used neither of the products you ask about. I was just pointing out some specs to may have overlooked, *ideally* you would probably want to compare both side by side in the environment you are going to use them.

I would think an LCD Monitor's display would be designed for the intended purpose of sitting 1-2 feet in front of you for high/fine detailed text and graphics. The LCD TV is more tuned for 6-10feet viewing for purely video...? results will vary between them.

Back