2407 release date

NEODARK said:
im at work, did you read my post :rolleyes: :p

hahah... i must have missed that part! im just amped about this and want to see more and more pictures of this thing so i can make my mind up!

:D

BoBoish said:
Neodark, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts between the 2001fp and the 2407. I currently have the 2001fp and have been itching to upgrade to the 24"...just not sure about the differences with the PVA panel. I love my 2001, but would like more space for windows and stuff...as well as the component inputs and ability to hook up a 360.

In particular, if you could do a comparison on how the 2407 is with scaling to lower resolutions compared to the 2001, I would appreciate it. I would also like your thoughts on the colors between the two monitors, as I understand the PVA panel in the 2407 may look a little more washed out compared to the IPS panel in the 2001. I've read the 2405 was significantly bright (even turned all the way down). Is the 2407 like this? I already have my 2001fp brightness turned all the way down. Would the 2407 be too bright for me?. Are blacks better?

I've previously read a few posts regarding the 2001fp versus the 2405, but most people were stuck on the size differences. Your observations would be much appreciated!

Not much I can tell you for now, since I only looked at my new 2407 for about half an hour. The biggest things I noticed right away was that the 2407 has MUCH blacker blacks than thet 2001FP, so way better contrast ratio.

in the 2001FP I can clearly see ghosting in specific situations while the 24inch one is much harder to notice in what I've seen so far.

the screen is bright @ defaults, but its can be rapidly fixed when turning down brightness, just like the 2001fp. I only turned brightness down to 40 from default 50 to get a less bright image, and did not feel I needed to go all the way down to 0 like in the 2001FP

Colors in HL2EP1 seemed MUCH better in the 2407 in the 5 minutes I played. The screen feels MUCH bigger than the 2001.

no ideas on scalling yet, but my 2001 was pretty damn good.

Anyway, thats as good as I can describe it for now, at least until I have more time with the 2407.

hope it helps (pics coming later when I get home)

wangoflove said:
I meant that for the Gamecube. Nintendo makes component cables for the Gamecube that not only allow for better overall picture quality, but also allow the majority of games (maybe 70%) to be played in 480p mode. It should say on the back of the case the game came in if progressive scan (480p) mode is supported. You have to hold down the B button on the controller so that the game boots in 480p mode.

I would say that the vast majority (~90%) of Xbox games are 480p by default, with some having 720p modes. Soul Calibur 2, for example, has a 720p mode.

I don't know why Monster didn't make component cables for gamecube. That's why I just ended up getting the S-video cables instead...

thenixhex311 said:
hahah... i must have missed that part! im just amped about this and want to see more and more pictures of this thing so i can make my mind up!

:D

If you'd look, you'd see that myself and at least one other have already posted pics...
just gotta look. :p

for the love of GOD doesn't anyone have any additional pictures yet - I'm going to bed.

thenixhex311 said:
no HP f-a-n-b-o-y advertising in a Dell WFP thread! :D

If you look carefully, you will see that I started this thread. That gives me the right to update the thread with my findings. Now with that said, I did my homework, and after all the sorry reviews of this 2407, I am stating that the HP L2335 is the better monitor for gaming. This is my oppinion of course.

Good luck with your own choices.

NEODARK said:
1 CON: the stand does adjust up and down, but it really doesnt go that high up, which is somewhat an issue since my center speaker (Z5500's) is right agains the lcd and it will not go higher.

I'm planning to have this same setup as you. The center doesn't fit under?! :eek:

The camera i'm using doesn't particularly allow for a good picture of this monitor. Certainly, justice is not done; it is beautiful in real life. The "rainbow" effect in the close up pic is purely a camera thing. I chose to include it though because it helps show the sharpness of the text. Which, in fact, is very sharp. Per-pixel if you will.
Here's a few examples of what I came up with:

2407apreview.JPG

2407bpreview.JPG

2407cpreview.JPG

original size pics:

2407a
2407b
2407c

LostStorm said:
Can someone please post xbox 360 pictures with 2407 using components and vga, THX

and when you post them make sure some are at 1080i resolution

Ok, here's a couple of mine. (maybe I'll do 360 later, dont wanna move it right now :p)

The screen (beside my 2001FP) Notice how close the center speaker is, the LCD does NOT go higher. I had to lower my 2001FP quite a bit to match height.

thumb2.jpg

Ice Age (QTHD 1080P) yes, this is a picture of the screen :p

thumb1.jpg

Macro of desktop

thumb4.jpg

and a quick gradinet one

thumb3.jpg

Here are the full size ones (56k warning, they are about 3mb each)

ICE AGE #1
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01394.JPG

ICE AGE #2
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01395.JPG

DESKTOP MACRO
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01417.JPG

GRADIENT 1
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01424.JPG

GRADIENT2
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01427.JPG

GRADIENT2 (with flash)
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01429.JPG

HL2 E01 (color is a bit off, but its not the LCD. It's the room lighting)
http://users.adelphia.net/~neolink1/2407FPW/DSC01411.JPG

I'll try to post some 360 shots @ 1080i later.

i just finished my testing of the component cable to XBOX setup. I had played Halo 2, Amped 2, and X-Men Legends II (which said 720p on the back) and was not that impressed. They were all actually very dark in my opinion, especially Halo 2. All three were slightly grainey in picture quality. Personally, I wouldn't recommend hooking up your XBOX to this monitor, unless they somehow fix the video quality of the video inputs.
Maybe A02 will fix that...

Speaking of which, here is a link as to what Chris M from the Dell Forums said about exchanging an A00 or A01 for an A02:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=57873

to 2407 owners: have you tried the 2405? Which do you think is better? Is this the besr LCD you've owned?

SSlaytanic said:
to 2407 owners: have you tried the 2405? Which do you think is better? Is this the besr LCD you've owned?

I would like to ask the same question.

Anyone gone from a 2405 to a 2407? if you could do it again which would you get or even somthing besides the dell like hp, view sonic, samsung, sony, apple etc.?

well i now owns a 2407 and i have used my brother's 2405 before.. since i don't have them side by side i can only compare them from my memory.. aside from the banding problem on my REVA01 2407 screen. i am happy with all the other aspects of the LCD (which should be fixed when i could replace it with the A02 hopefully) and i haven't really either tested the banding on the 2405 so i can't really make a judgement on that.. (some ppl have report having banding problems on some of the 2405)

overall i'm happy with the decision if the banding problem will get fixed as promised by dell.. since there wasn't really anohter LCD in this size range is a better decision for me (the Apple is way too expensive, the samsung got very bad input lag problem, and not sure where to get the other brands such as HP in my location.. )

JediFonger said:
thx for the ice age cap. that is AWESOME!!!

See, thats the thing. It's not a screen capture. It's a picture taken with my digital camera of the screen. ;)

thats what makes it so impresive :D

Well I got a 24 inch eval unit in, too bad they sent me the 2405 and not the 2407. My rep is trying to find out what happened, but atleast I have a spare 2405 sitting here.

cap=capture. cap is not equal to screen capture.

NEODARK said:
See, thats the thing. It's not a screen capture. It's a picture taken with my digital camera of the screen. ;)

thats what makes it so impresive :D

My 2407 arrived today. I ran home at lunch to plug it in for 5 minutes before I had to go back to work... I'm coming from a 19" samsung 930b, and the first thing I noticed was some pretty bad ghosting... do LCD's need to warm up? Also, the picture doesn't seem quite as sharp as it did on my samsung, or my laptop panel for that matter. I'm using a DVI connection... so this confuses me a bit. Any suggestions? Or am I being too picky...

kommissar said:
My 2407 arrived today. I ran home at lunch to plug it in for 5 minutes before I had to go back to work... I'm coming from a 19" samsung 930b, and the first thing I noticed was some pretty bad ghosting... do LCD's need to warm up? Also, the picture doesn't seem quite as sharp as it did on my samsung, or my laptop panel for that matter. I'm using a DVI connection... so this confuses me a bit. Any suggestions? Or am I being too picky...

your system setup (usually listed in your sig.) would be a helpful start

Ah, my apologies... I'm doing a set of upgrades, so I'll add that information to my sig when I'm done... But this system I was testing the monitor with is as follows:

Athlon 64 3200+
Some crappy soltek mobo i got cheap a while ago...
Geforce 6800gt
2gig Cosair RAM
SB Audigy Gamer (yes it's very old)

kommissar said:

It may take a bit for the brightness to normalize (my 2405 takes a minute) but no warm up will help the ghosting if you see any. I can see a little on my 2405 but it's livable. Remember to run at full or native res (1920x1200 I think) for the screen to look sharp.

I was running at native res... I've got some other cables sitting around that I could try when I get back from work, perhaps that'll help a bit.

kommissar said:
I was running at native res... I've got some other cables sitting around that I could try when I get back from work, perhaps that'll help a bit.

If you are using the DVI connection then the cables won’t matter. It should look as sharp as any other LCD if you are not resizing or interpolating the image. :(

Yeah that's what I'd though too... Perhaps it's just a different type of coating on the panel that I'm not used to...

In any case, I'll be home in an hour or so, hopefully I can figure something out.

anyone who just picked this up able to hook it up to a hi-def box or something like the XBOX 360 and take some pics?

ND40oz said:
Well I got a 24 inch eval unit in, too bad they sent me the 2405 and not the 2407. My rep is trying to find out what happened, but atleast I have a spare 2405 sitting here.

Alright, got a new order in, it's currently in Pre-production and I have overnight shipping on it. Hopefully I get it tomorrow, otherwise I'm waiting until Monday.

You paid overnight S/H for like $60usd?

I got mine in 2 days with free shipping ;)

Back