2405fpw Tools & Tips

Dim-Ize

Weaksauce
I was wondering, after reading several posts about tweaking for color, compatabillity, etc. if we could have a thread dedicated to getting optimal results.

Some of the things I have read that I think will be important for me to get up and running are:
Name of dead pixel test program
Name of calibration program
R/G/B settings (default vs. optimal)
Compatability settings in your Power DVD (or other program) to get the display to work optimaly
Changes in ATI's or NVidia's control panel to maximize vibrance / improve text

Thanks,
Dim-Ize

I've been having some problems w/PowerDVD so that might be helpful. Some widescreen movies refuse to snap to fit the screen properly while keeping their aspect ratio. Since the display is wider than it is tall I don't know what the problem is but I can't seem to figure it out.

Fifth Element works fine... But Back To School (R. Dangerfield) is one that doesn't.

Good idea for a thread. My 2001 worked great right out of the box. I'm a bit dismayed at all the tweaks, adjustments, etc. people are having to do to get the 2405 to work well.

Mine arrives tomorrow! :D

Sounds like a plan. I'm not too worried about having to invest some of my time tweaking. Getting a display with these features for this price you have to expect things like this.

I confused as to what some are talking about regarding "washed out" color. The color on mine is anything other than washed out. In fact, it is far more vibrant than either the 2001FP or the SDM-p234 that i got and returned. It looked very good right out of the box.

However, it definately takes a little bit of tweaking to get it just right. By default, I find that PVA panels generally have the red a little hot for my taste. I had to reduce the red substantially from the default on the monitor to get it a little cooler. Then, what I did was go into the ATI color panel and adjust the gamma of the green up a bit, and then reduce the contrast of the red. Now its looking almost identical colorwise to my CRT sitting right next to it, except far more vibrant.

But, all of this is a hack really until I do a proper color calibration using a hardware color calibrator on it.

wombat778 said:
I confused as to what some are talking about regarding "washed out" color. The color on mine is anything other than washed out. In fact, it is far more vibrant than either the 2001FP or the SDM-p234 that i got and returned. It looked very good right out of the box.

However, it definately takes a little bit of tweaking to get it just right. By default, I find that PVA panels generally have the red a little hot for my taste. I had to reduce the red substantially from the default on the monitor to get it a little cooler. Then, what I did was go into the ATI color panel and adjust the gamma of the green up a bit, and then reduce the contrast of the red. Now its looking almost identical colorwise to my CRT sitting right next to it, except far more vibrant.

But, all of this is a hack really until I do a proper color calibration using a hardware color calibrator on it.

Can you recommend a colour calibrator?

JonDo[H] said:
Can you recommend a colour calibrator?

I use a Monaco Optix with Ezcolor, but that does a lot more than just monitor calibration and costs about $350. If the only thing necessary is monitor calibration, maybe something cheaper like the colorvision color plus for $99 would be better...

Riptide_NVN said:
I've been having some problems w/PowerDVD so that might be helpful. Some widescreen movies refuse to snap to fit the screen properly while keeping their aspect ratio. Since the display is wider than it is tall I don't know what the problem is but I can't seem to figure it out.

Fifth Element works fine... But Back To School (R. Dangerfield) is one that doesn't.

this sounds like it might be an anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic issue. try some 4:3 dvd (like a tv show or something) and see if that stretches to fill the screen as well. i don't know of a fix, but i'll look into it when my monitor arrives.

I ordered this calibrator today: Lacie Blue Eye 2
Works with both crt and lcd.its around $250 here in holland ussually (I paid 200) it sais $278 on the lacie site.

(Off topic: I noticed the last couple of months that, for the first time ever, hardware is getting cheaper for us in europe, comparing it to the usa. Bush seems to be doing a good job of running your country into the ground :( . such a shame..)

Back